Linux Mint 17.x has reached end of life; upgrade now!

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Linux Mint 17.x reaches end of life in April

Post by xenopeek »

jjjjjjjay wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:57 pmSo for that reason I am not upgrading.
So long as that computer isn't connected to the internet, that's fine. You're strongly recommended to replace Linux Mint 17.x if your computer is connected to the internet, to continue receiving needed security updates for your operating system and programs.
Shadow in Fire
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Shadow in Fire »

jjjjjjjay wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:57 pm I literally cannot bring myself to upgrade from 17.1 Rebecca even though the LTS is about over. It works perfectly on my 2005 HP hardware. To upgrade means leaving my iPod Classic (which I use every day) in the dust. Banshee has so far been the only Linux software that has worked to manually place radio programs onto my ipod. I know its no longer being improved. But it works. I don't use sync. So for that reason I am not upgrading. I'm old school I guess.
I'm the same way about the 18.3 release. It works just fine, minus a few errors I'm sure I could weed out with more time and skills invested.

On the other hand, 17.3 is the last of the Linux Mint releases (downstream from Ubuntu's builds) that doesn't come with Systemd as the default init, as well as packages affected by it. I learned more about Systemd and how it has been manifesting itself in GNU/Linux distros since 2015 or so, and all I could do for now was replace Systemd as an init with Upstart (which, sadly, isn't going to be updated anytime soon). I just like to have init freedom and get away from the Poettering curse as much as possible. Sadly, anything to do with Gentoo or Arch Linux would be out of the question for me, and Void Linux isn't too appealing from a professional standpoint (the developer went missing for a whole year, and the people in the team had to fork the entire repository onto a new one). Devuan seems cool, but I don't like outdated packages and the usual Debian conflicts.

Anyway, just my two cents. Once Linux Mint stops supporting 18.3, I'll have to take all systems offline until I can find a new distro.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

jjjjjjjay wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:57 pm I'm old school I guess.
No, I don't think so. You say it's working perfectly on a 2005 system. The risk you face by not upgrading can be weighed against the risk of upgrading. My view on machines and their OSen is that if the machine is doing what it was first intended to do then there is no reason to replace anything; it's only when you go beyond what the machine was purchased for that it becomes an issue.

As for the risk, the forum is replete with posts from people who can't get the more modern OS to run on old gear so, in upgrading, you run the risk of not having a running OS. If you don't upgrade then you're at risk of someone attempting to exploit a security flaw. It then becomes a question of how likely is it that you'll meet up with such an exploit. If this were Windwoes then I'd say the risk is probably somewhat much higher. If this were my machine and I was happy with the OS, then I'd be careful to ensure my browser was kept up to date, my firewall was turned on, that I didn't deliberately visit potentially hazardous websites, and leave the OS as it is.

If I had the disk space and was in that situation, I'd rsync a remote Mint 17 mirror and make it a local repository before they were all pulled down. This would ensure that I had access to working applications should I need something in the future.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
jontrv
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jontrv »

BananaTech wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:09 am I'm thinking of sticking with 17.3 because I'm having an issue of my AMD APU not running as well under the others versions I've tried 18,18.1,19,19.1 ,
What is your hardware? do inxi -C and inxi -G in a terminal, copy the results. Checkout my reply in topic viewtopic.php?f=59&t=248059&p=1613183#p1613183
I have amdgpu running very nicely on the very newest amd B450 based system.

Code: Select all

$ inxi -C
CPU:
  Topology: Quad Core model: AMD Ryzen 3 2200G with Radeon Vega Graphics 
  bits: 64 type: MCP L2 cache: 2048 KiB 
  Speed: 1425 MHz min/max: 1600/3500 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1415 2: 1423 
  3: 1424 4: 1426 
$ inxi -G
Graphics:
  Device-1: AMD Raven Ridge [Radeon Vega Series / Radeon Vega Mobile Series] 
  driver: amdgpu v: 18.50.1.418 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.6 driver: amdgpu,ati 
  unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,radeon,vesa resolution: 1280x1024~60Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: AMD RAVEN (DRM 3.27.0 4.15.0-20-generic LLVM 7.0.1) 
  v: 4.5 Mesa 18.2.0-rc3
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Nope - Mint doesn't have this course of action,,
and most of those issues do come from upstream, as well.
- -the LinuxMint Team does rely on what is achieved upstream,
and sometimes those actions don't always sit comfortably with the LinuxMint User base.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
ganamant
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ganamant »

catweazel wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:11 am If I had the disk space and was in that situation, I'd rsync a remote Mint 17 mirror and make it a local repository before they were all pulled down. This would ensure that I had access to working applications should I need something in the future.
I'm sure there will be archives around even for older editions. I just checked and found archives for Mint Betsy.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

ganamant wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:26 am
catweazel wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:11 am If I had the disk space and was in that situation, I'd rsync a remote Mint 17 mirror and make it a local repository before they were all pulled down. This would ensure that I had access to working applications should I need something in the future.
I'm sure there will be archives around even for older editions. I just checked and found archives for Mint Betsy.
I don't think packages.linuxmint.com has deleted anything so far, and Canonical's repositories don't actually get deleted, just moved to another server where they won't get mirrored from anymore, so nothing is ever really lost. For now, anyway. ;)
Wompoo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Wompoo »

gm10 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:30 am ...............................
I don't think packages.linuxmint.com has deleted anything so far, and Canonical's repositories don't actually get deleted, just moved to another server where they won't get mirrored from anymore, so nothing is ever really lost. For now, anyway. ;)
That's good news, thanks for that. I am fully adjusted to Linux Mint 17.3 KDE and want to hang onto it for as long as I can, albeit for off line use.
I have my old Canon iP1600 printer still working in it as well.

I will use Linux Mint 19 MATE (which I find inferior!..........or at least less user friendly) for online work.

Jim.
Last edited by Wompoo on Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Desktop PC #1
Linux Mint 20.3 MATE desktop (64-bit), Asus
ASUSTeK model: P5G41T-M LX, 8 Gb RAM
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Wompoo wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:50 am I will use Linux Mint 19 KDE (which I find inferior!..........or at least less user friendly) for online work.
It's less friendly and inferior because it doesn't exist.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Wompoo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Wompoo »

catweazel wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:20 am
Wompoo wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:50 am I will use Linux Mint 19 KDE (which I find inferior!..........or at least less user friendly) for online work.
Yes, as you say, well corrected. I have edited my post - meant to read "MATE". However, I have the KDE option installed on my MATE operating system, but it does not work well.
Desktop PC #1
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Wompoo wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:26 am
Yes, as you say, well corrected. I have edited my post - meant to read "MATE". However, I have the KDE option installed on my MATE operating system, but it does not work well.
I use and recommend KDE neon.
Wompoo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Wompoo »

catweazel wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:38 am

Ok. I will research that. To date, I have never heard of it. thanks again.
Desktop PC #1
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Wompoo wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:40 am
catweazel wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:38 am

Ok. I will research that. To date, I have never heard of it. thanks again.
It's my pleasure.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

I love 17.3. IMHO it is one of the best Operating Systems ever. And I've played with PLENTY.

I use it for my "snapshots"; USB stick versions I make for different people for different purposes. One has a mobile recording studio, his wife is a photographer, another guy is a DJ, and another a videographer. I made them all USB sticks with custom 17.3 installations tailored to their needs, and not one has called me with a problem.

BTW, only the DJ goes on-line with it, and not often. The rest use it statically in the field, save their work to SSD drives and then load them to their (UGH) Windows machines when they get home.
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
TI58C
Level 4
Level 4

Post by TI58C »

Hi all,

Am writing this post on my old beloved 17.3 system, but recently did a new install of 19.1
Found a nice and easy way to install all the packages I had on 17.3 on my 19.1 system. You can find it here:

viewtopic.php?f=90&t=252813&p=1617187&s ... 2#p1617187

Hope this helps migrate.

Robert

OOPS
Made a stupid mistake in the post mentioned above.Cannot edit as it is locked. You have to run the script "reinstall.sh" as root (sudo).
Linux is like my late labrador lady-dog: loyal and loving if you treat her lady-like, disbehaving princess if you don't.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

TI58C wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:30 am Hi all,

Am writing this post on my old beloved 17.3 system, but recently did a new install of 19.1
Found a nice and easy way to install all the packages I had on 17.3 on my 19.1 system. You can find it here:

viewtopic.php?f=90&t=252813&p=1617187&s ... 2#p1617187

Hope this helps migrate.

Robert

OOPS
Made a stupid mistake in the post mentioned above.Cannot edit as it is locked. You have to run the script "reinstall.sh" as root (sudo).
Nice. 17.3 was my first Mint and I will always recall it fondly.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

TI58C wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:30 am OOPS
Robert, please check the current version. And if something like this happens again, and you need a mod's attention, use the 'report this post' button to summon us.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
TI58C
Level 4
Level 4

Post by TI58C »

Moem,

Thanks ! Will do so.

Robert
Linux is like my late labrador lady-dog: loyal and loving if you treat her lady-like, disbehaving princess if you don't.
ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

Just wanted to post my thanks to Clem and the Linux Mint team for my first Linux experience under Mint 17.1.

You managed to make me see that there really was a decent non Windows option in the Linux space, especially for a longtime Windows user. Anyway now i have a DVD with 18 Xfce burned on it and look forward to seeing if it will run nice on my old hardware.

Thanks for a (mostly) good OS time 17.1 :)
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . Also a move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial
sfrusciante
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sfrusciante »

Thanks to all developers and the community - 17.x had been a terrific experience, the first bump in quality IMHO.
I got a crazy number of people to disappoint. -me

Return to “Beginner Questions”