Page 3 of 5

Re: Linux Mint 17.x reaches end of life in April

Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:40 pm
by xenopeek
jjjjjjjay wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:57 pm
So for that reason I am not upgrading.
So long as that computer isn't connected to the internet, that's fine. You're strongly recommended to replace Linux Mint 17.x if your computer is connected to the internet, to continue receiving needed security updates for your operating system and programs.

Re: Linux Mint 17.x reaches end of life in April

Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:54 pm
by Shadow in Fire
jjjjjjjay wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:57 pm
I literally cannot bring myself to upgrade from 17.1 Rebecca even though the LTS is about over. It works perfectly on my 2005 HP hardware. To upgrade means leaving my iPod Classic (which I use every day) in the dust. Banshee has so far been the only Linux software that has worked to manually place radio programs onto my ipod. I know its no longer being improved. But it works. I don't use sync. So for that reason I am not upgrading. I'm old school I guess.
I'm the same way about the 18.3 release. It works just fine, minus a few errors I'm sure I could weed out with more time and skills invested.

On the other hand, 17.3 is the last of the Linux Mint releases (downstream from Ubuntu's builds) that doesn't come with Systemd as the default init, as well as packages affected by it. I learned more about Systemd and how it has been manifesting itself in GNU/Linux distros since 2015 or so, and all I could do for now was replace Systemd as an init with Upstart (which, sadly, isn't going to be updated anytime soon). I just like to have init freedom and get away from the Poettering curse as much as possible. Sadly, anything to do with Gentoo or Arch Linux would be out of the question for me, and Void Linux isn't too appealing from a professional standpoint (the developer went missing for a whole year, and the people in the team had to fork the entire repository onto a new one). Devuan seems cool, but I don't like outdated packages and the usual Debian conflicts.

Anyway, just my two cents. Once Linux Mint stops supporting 18.3, I'll have to take all systems offline until I can find a new distro.

Re: Linux Mint 17.x reaches end of life in April

Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:11 am
by catweazel
jjjjjjjay wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:57 pm
I'm old school I guess.
No, I don't think so. You say it's working perfectly on a 2005 system. The risk you face by not upgrading can be weighed against the risk of upgrading. My view on machines and their OSen is that if the machine is doing what it was first intended to do then there is no reason to replace anything; it's only when you go beyond what the machine was purchased for that it becomes an issue.

As for the risk, the forum is replete with posts from people who can't get the more modern OS to run on old gear so, in upgrading, you run the risk of not having a running OS. If you don't upgrade then you're at risk of someone attempting to exploit a security flaw. It then becomes a question of how likely is it that you'll meet up with such an exploit. If this were Windwoes then I'd say the risk is probably somewhat much higher. If this were my machine and I was happy with the OS, then I'd be careful to ensure my browser was kept up to date, my firewall was turned on, that I didn't deliberately visit potentially hazardous websites, and leave the OS as it is.

If I had the disk space and was in that situation, I'd rsync a remote Mint 17 mirror and make it a local repository before they were all pulled down. This would ensure that I had access to working applications should I need something in the future.

Re: Linux Mint 17.x reaches end of life in April

Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:34 pm
by jontrv
BananaTech wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:09 am
I'm thinking of sticking with 17.3 because I'm having an issue of my AMD APU not running as well under the others versions I've tried 18,18.1,19,19.1 ,
What is your hardware? do inxi -C and inxi -G in a terminal, copy the results. Checkout my reply in topic viewtopic.php?f=59&t=248059&p=1613183#p1613183
I have amdgpu running very nicely on the very newest amd B450 based system.

Code: Select all

$ inxi -C
CPU:
  Topology: Quad Core model: AMD Ryzen 3 2200G with Radeon Vega Graphics 
  bits: 64 type: MCP L2 cache: 2048 KiB 
  Speed: 1425 MHz min/max: 1600/3500 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1415 2: 1423 
  3: 1424 4: 1426 
$ inxi -G
Graphics:
  Device-1: AMD Raven Ridge [Radeon Vega Series / Radeon Vega Mobile Series] 
  driver: amdgpu v: 18.50.1.418 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.6 driver: amdgpu,ati 
  unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,radeon,vesa resolution: 1280x1024~60Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: AMD RAVEN (DRM 3.27.0 4.15.0-20-generic LLVM 7.0.1) 
  v: 4.5 Mesa 18.2.0-rc3

Re: Linux Mint 17.x reaches end of life in April

Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:35 am
by Pierre
Nope - Mint doesn't have this course of action,,
and most of those issues do come from upstream, as well.
- -the LinuxMint Team does rely on what is achieved upstream,
and sometimes those actions don't always sit comfortably with the LinuxMint User base.

Re: Linux Mint 17.x reaches end of life in April

Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:26 am
by ganamant
catweazel wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:11 am
If I had the disk space and was in that situation, I'd rsync a remote Mint 17 mirror and make it a local repository before they were all pulled down. This would ensure that I had access to working applications should I need something in the future.
I'm sure there will be archives around even for older editions. I just checked and found archives for Mint Betsy.

Re: Linux Mint 17.x reaches end of life in April

Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:30 am
by gm10
ganamant wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:26 am
catweazel wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:11 am
If I had the disk space and was in that situation, I'd rsync a remote Mint 17 mirror and make it a local repository before they were all pulled down. This would ensure that I had access to working applications should I need something in the future.
I'm sure there will be archives around even for older editions. I just checked and found archives for Mint Betsy.
I don't think packages.linuxmint.com has deleted anything so far, and Canonical's repositories don't actually get deleted, just moved to another server where they won't get mirrored from anymore, so nothing is ever really lost. For now, anyway. ;)

Re: Linux Mint 17.x reaches end of life in April

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:50 am
by Wompoo
gm10 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:30 am
...............................
I don't think packages.linuxmint.com has deleted anything so far, and Canonical's repositories don't actually get deleted, just moved to another server where they won't get mirrored from anymore, so nothing is ever really lost. For now, anyway. ;)
That's good news, thanks for that. I am fully adjusted to Linux Mint 17.3 KDE and want to hang onto it for as long as I can, albeit for off line use.
I have my old Canon iP1600 printer still working in it as well.

I will use Linux Mint 19 MATE (which I find inferior!..........or at least less user friendly) for online work.

Jim.

Re: Linux Mint 17.x reaches end of life in April

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:20 am
by catweazel
Wompoo wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:50 am
I will use Linux Mint 19 KDE (which I find inferior!..........or at least less user friendly) for online work.
It's less friendly and inferior because it doesn't exist.

Re: Linux Mint 17.x reaches end of life in April

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:26 am
by Wompoo
catweazel wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:20 am
Wompoo wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:50 am
I will use Linux Mint 19 KDE (which I find inferior!..........or at least less user friendly) for online work.
It's less friendly and inferior because it doesn't exist.
Yes, as you say, well corrected. I have edited my post - meant to read "MATE". However, I have the KDE option installed on my MATE operating system, but it does not work well.

Re: Linux Mint 17.x reaches end of life in April

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:38 am
by catweazel
Wompoo wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:26 am
catweazel wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:20 am
Wompoo wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:50 am
I will use Linux Mint 19 KDE (which I find inferior!..........or at least less user friendly) for online work.
It's less friendly and inferior because it doesn't exist.
Yes, as you say, well corrected. I have edited my post - meant to read "MATE". However, I have the KDE option installed on my MATE operating system, but it does not work well.
I use and recommend KDE neon.

Re: Linux Mint 17.x reaches end of life in April

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:40 am
by Wompoo
catweazel wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:38 am
Wompoo wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:26 am
catweazel wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:20 am


It's less friendly and inferior because it doesn't exist.
Yes, as you say, well corrected. I have edited my post - meant to read "MATE". However, I have the KDE option installed on my MATE operating system, but it does not work well.
I use and recommend KDE neon.
Ok. I will research that. To date, I have never heard of it. thanks again.

Re: Linux Mint 17.x reaches end of life in April

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:42 am
by catweazel
Wompoo wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:40 am
catweazel wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:38 am
Wompoo wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:26 am


Yes, as you say, well corrected. I have edited my post - meant to read "MATE". However, I have the KDE option installed on my MATE operating system, but it does not work well.
I use and recommend KDE neon.
Ok. I will research that. To date, I have never heard of it. thanks again.
It's my pleasure.

Re: Linux Mint 17.x reaches end of life in April

Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:19 am
by Arch_Enemy
I love 17.3. IMHO it is one of the best Operating Systems ever. And I've played with PLENTY.

I use it for my "snapshots"; USB stick versions I make for different people for different purposes. One has a mobile recording studio, his wife is a photographer, another guy is a DJ, and another a videographer. I made them all USB sticks with custom 17.3 installations tailored to their needs, and not one has called me with a problem.

BTW, only the DJ goes on-line with it, and not often. The rest use it statically in the field, save their work to SSD drives and then load them to their (UGH) Windows machines when they get home.

Re: Linux Mint 17.x reaches end of life in April

Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:30 am
by TI58C
Hi all,

Am writing this post on my old beloved 17.3 system, but recently did a new install of 19.1
Found a nice and easy way to install all the packages I had on 17.3 on my 19.1 system. You can find it here:

viewtopic.php?f=90&t=252813&p=1617187&s ... 2#p1617187

Hope this helps migrate.

Robert

OOPS
Made a stupid mistake in the post mentioned above.Cannot edit as it is locked. You have to run the script "reinstall.sh" as root (sudo).

Re: Linux Mint 17.x reaches end of life in April

Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:30 am
by MurphCID
TI58C wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:30 am
Hi all,

Am writing this post on my old beloved 17.3 system, but recently did a new install of 19.1
Found a nice and easy way to install all the packages I had on 17.3 on my 19.1 system. You can find it here:

viewtopic.php?f=90&t=252813&p=1617187&s ... 2#p1617187

Hope this helps migrate.

Robert

OOPS
Made a stupid mistake in the post mentioned above.Cannot edit as it is locked. You have to run the script "reinstall.sh" as root (sudo).
Nice. 17.3 was my first Mint and I will always recall it fondly.

Re: Linux Mint 17.x reaches end of life in April

Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:36 am
by Moem
TI58C wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:30 am
OOPS
Made a stupid mistake in the post mentioned above.Cannot edit as it is locked. You have to run the script "reinstall.sh" as root (sudo).
Robert, please check the current version. And if something like this happens again, and you need a mod's attention, use the 'report this post' button to summon us.

Re: Linux Mint 17.x reaches end of life in April

Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:53 am
by TI58C
Moem,

Thanks ! Will do so.

Robert

Re: Linux Mint 17.x reaches end of life in April

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:31 am
by ZakGordon
Just wanted to post my thanks to Clem and the Linux Mint team for my first Linux experience under Mint 17.1.

You managed to make me see that there really was a decent non Windows option in the Linux space, especially for a longtime Windows user. Anyway now i have a DVD with 18 Xfce burned on it and look forward to seeing if it will run nice on my old hardware.

Thanks for a (mostly) good OS time 17.1 :)

Re: Linux Mint 17.x reaches end of life in April

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:52 pm
by sfrusciante
Thanks to all developers and the community - 17.x had been a terrific experience, the first bump in quality IMHO.