Linux Mint 17.x has reached end of life; upgrade now!

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
rachey
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Linux Mint 17.x reaches end of life in April

Post by rachey » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:58 pm

Talk to my sr about this & was surprised that I was the one who's doing the upgrade on our system, yikes at same time excited! Reading now the instructions, thanks for the heads up!

Wompoo
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Wompoo » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:57 pm

catweazel wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:38 am

I use and recommend KDE neon.
Would you provide some more details please Catweazel?
Such as how is it possible to use that on Mint 19 etc.?
Desktop PC #2
Linux Mint 19 KDE desktop (64-bit), Asus
CPU E7500, 8 Gb RAM

Desktop #1
Dell Vostro 220 64 bit.
Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa KDE

Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:52 am

Wompoo wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:57 pm
It isn't used on Mint. It's a respin of Ubuntu by the KDE devs. It always has the latest KDE.

https://neon.kde.org/
¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı

Wompoo
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Wompoo » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:24 am

catweazel wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:52 am
Wompoo wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:57 pm
It isn't used on Mint. It's a respin of Ubuntu by the KDE devs. It always has the latest KDE.

https://neon.kde.org/
Thanks again CatW.
I will download it during my bonus off peak download time and burn a disk etc. I could load it dual/triple boot and try it out.
I did not like the KDE add ons offered for Mint 19, as they seemed to my mind to emulate the less desirable features of Win10.
Is KDE Neon similar?
Or is it something different in terms of layout and accessibility?
I did really like Mint 17.3 KDE and will miss it when it goes into history.

J.
Desktop PC #2
CPU E7500, 8 Gb RAM

Desktop #1
Dell Vostro 220 64 bit.
Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa KDE

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:40 am

Wompoo wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:24 am
I will download it during my bonus off peak download time and burn a disk etc. I could load it dual/triple boot and try it out.
I did not like the KDE add ons offered for Mint 19, as they seemed to my mind to emulate the less desirable features of Win10.
Is KDE Neon similar?
I don't know because I don't understand your statement about KDE addons for Mint 19. There is no KDE Mint 19. I have no idea what you're talking about. At the end of the day, I can't be an interpreter of your personal tastes. You will have to at least run a distro in live mode then make your own mind up.
¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı

Wompoo
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Wompoo » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:54 am

catweazel wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:40 am
Wompoo wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:24 am
Is KDE Neon similar?
I don't know because I don't understand your statement about KDE addons for Mint 19. .
This is what I meant: https://linuxhint.com/install_kde_linux_mint_19/
There is no KDE Mint 19..
True.
.............. I can't be an interpreter of your personal tastes....................
Of course you cannot. I simply wanted to provide you with some indication of my "limited" experience and subjective evaluation of another desktop.
I use the word "subjective" in an advisory sense here.

Thanks again,

Jim.
Desktop PC #2
CPU E7500, 8 Gb RAM

Desktop #1
Dell Vostro 220 64 bit.
Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa KDE

ultramint
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ultramint » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:29 am

KDE 17.x release is an amazing mint. Multi booted with ubuntu and windows, KDE was not booted very often, and Windows never, Ubuntu 16.x being the main Linux, however, when KDE booted the quality of KDE was shown to be an superior release for the experienced Linux user. Ubuntu, generally, being more user friendly, the words of an less experienced Linux user, my wife. Well that's all history now! And mint 19.1 (Mate) is now installed. A smoother operating OS from the get-go I've yet too experience. Everything about Mate is defined in the word quality. My wife says it's user friendly; How about that! Mate boots incredibly fast on this machine which is a nice plus. Mint is where I began my Linux experience with mint's first release, and I'm happy to be back. Thanks for great LTS release
minty fine mint

cheers'

galeforce
Level 1
Level 1

Post by galeforce » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:36 am

I'd like to thank the developers for Mint 17. It's been my go to system since it was new.
What I liked most was it allowed some installs of normally KDE only programs, mostly science stuff.
It will stay on it's own drive and stay functional as long as I can manage it though it won't be on line anymore, it has been great.
"Digital commerce and finance require an honesty not evident in all humans and ignored by computers."

Gaemon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Gaemon » Sun May 05, 2019 10:58 am

Pjotr wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:00 pm
mlive wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:45 pm
any magic solutions??
Try the magic of Mint 19.1. No earthly use in spending time and effort on a system that'll reach end-of-life in a month or so. Utter waste of time. :mrgreen:
I do agree with you, However, some issues seem to follow the track of new versions, one after the over until today. since I first install Linux mint 17, 17.3,18.1, 18.x and now 19.1, "Wake from sleep" had never worked out of the box on all three of my computer for as many installs that you can imagine. As I plan to do a refresh, I would like to understand why couldn't I count on a full working Sleep and Wake up feature on my computers, with that planned refresh and the next upgrade ans so on. Please to be assure I do not post that issue on the non-technical thread for some remote answer to that remaining issue from my very first installation of Linux mint on one of my computers. What my understanding of that reality is lacking of, I dare say, some kind of solution that Linux mint should implement in the box, or some kind of explanation related to my multiple engines or a simple explanation why Linux mint can't see it through repeatedly.
Thank you for that.
back to very constant thread of "wake issue" from linux mint forums. Bye.

Wompoo
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Wompoo » Sun May 05, 2019 5:32 pm

Gaemon wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 10:58 am
back to very constant thread of "wake issue" from linux mint forums. Bye.
Can you post a link to that thread please?
Desktop PC #2
CPU E7500, 8 Gb RAM

Desktop #1
Dell Vostro 220 64 bit.
Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa KDE

linxmintq
Level 3
Level 3

Post by linxmintq » Sat May 11, 2019 10:37 am

xenopeek wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:14 am

It's annoying but for any system connected to a network you should really plan to upgrade. Perhaps try a different edition of Linux Mint 19.x (Cinnamon, MATE or Xfce) and see if you like that better?
It is a huge pity that the support is out of stock and all later versions contain systemd. :wink:

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Linux Mint 17.x has reached end of life; upgrade now!

Post by Spearmint2 » Sat May 11, 2019 6:59 pm

Did that this past week. Used the instructions here and upgraded to 18, then booted to it and did to 18.3 in the Update GUI program.

https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2316

I was worried since mine is encrypted system 17.3

It took 70 minutes to do, had a number of Y/N options to answer, so not a "walk and come back later" upgrade, but other than a few duplicated icons in menu area, all went well, in spite of some warnings during the upgrade to contrary. WINE and Virtual Box all worked OK too. Nice touch at the end where one could choose to have a current bootloader installed to all drives and partitions if wanted.

I might move up to 19 later. Hope there's an upgrade method as simple as the above done to 18.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek » Sun May 12, 2019 2:42 am

Spearmint2 wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 6:59 pm
I might move up to 19 later. Hope there's an upgrade method as simple as the above done to 18.
https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2416

Laniakean
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Laniakean » Sun May 12, 2019 2:59 am

As a Linux user since 2007 (earlier, if counting along Mandrakelinux back in the Windows Millennium days, or even much earlier, if counting along my first unsuccessful Linux baby steps with SuSE Linux 5 or 6, or whichever version it was, ages ago), I too find 17.3 the best Mint version. And I too regret seeing it go. Pity...

Yet, the best OS-of-all-times for me is/was Ubuntu 10.04. I will forever think back of those years with melancholy and with pleasure. Ubuntu 10.04 was an fantastic experience (more so than Ubuntu 7.10, my first Ubuntu install).

I was running 17.3 on my "Ivy Bridge"-based computer. I had updated, or rather replaced it with 19.1 on an "MX500" SSD, but I am running into a serious problem (which I will of course not bring up here). Since I am fearing it is a hardware issue (the beginning of the end of this aging computer?), I am now trying out LMDE3 on this machine (upgraded successfully from LMDE2 yesterday) to see if this problem in 19.1 will happen in LMDE3 too.
(If it will, then logically speaking it is a hardware issue (?) ).

I don't think it will matter much - LMDE or "LMUE". :)

As for Linux Mint: as long as Clem and his fantastic team keep Linux Mint the way it is and works now (and, like, not ever change it like the Redmond Posse changed Windows (with their horrible Windows 10), I will stay with Linux Mint. Linux Mint is GREAT.

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 » Sun May 12, 2019 4:53 pm

xenopeek wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 2:42 am
Spearmint2 wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 6:59 pm
https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2416
THANKS!
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

Bryan88
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Bryan88 » Mon May 20, 2019 1:34 am

Please forgive me in advance if I ramble on a bit in this post. Having read the posts regarding keeping LM17, here is my situation. I have an LG i5 laptop that currently has LM17.2 32bit XFCE and Windows 7 on a dual boot. I am wanting to set it up for music recording (I know about AVLinux ect) and would like to keep LM17 as it has worked well so far and with only 2 gigs of ram I'm not too sure how well it would run LM19, which I'm using on my new laptop, and am happy with. I concede that music production may struggle with 2g ram, but I can only try. I also plan to use a lowlatency kernel, so I don't think having the latest kernels would be an issue?
I have no intention of going online with it, the network card stopped working so going online requires that I physically connect a wifi dongle.
My question is, I have been wanting to just do a full Linux install as I hardly ever boot Win 7, and when I do it is nothing but frustrating. Would it be advisable to do a LM17 install or would that be taking to much of a chance with regard to the install trying to do updates ect. I'm hoping that the repo's for the software that I need will still be up. I don't need the latest stuff, just hoping that I would be able to get everything working and then leave the system alone. Regarding using Synaptic/Apt-get, how big is the risk of a virus attack seeing as you are not using a browser?
Hope I have made myself clear and thanks for any advice.

toshioxgnu
Level 1
Level 1

Post by toshioxgnu » Fri May 24, 2019 11:43 pm

I never understand this, i mean.
Linux Mint 17.x losses all the updates or its just only the security updates ???.
Can someone explain this ?? Please :D
MAIN PC: OS: Mint tessa 19.1 CPU: AMD A10-7870K GPU:AMD Radeon (TM) RX 460 Graphics RAM: 12 Gib
Notebook: OS: Mint tessa 19.1 CPU: Intel Core i3-2310M GPU: DRI Intel(R) Ram: 8Gib

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek » Sat May 25, 2019 2:25 am

All the updates; end of life means no more updates, any updates. The security updates are crucial to keep your system safe hence the focus on that.

gm10
Level 18
Level 18

Post by gm10 » Sat May 25, 2019 3:20 am

Bryan88 wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 1:34 am
Please forgive me in advance if I ramble on a bit in this post. Having read the posts regarding keeping LM17, here is my situation. I have an LG i5 laptop that currently has LM17.2 32bit XFCE and Windows 7 on a dual boot.
[..]
I have no intention of going online with it, the network card stopped working so going online requires that I physically connect a wifi dongle.
My question is, I have been wanting to just do a full Linux install as I hardly ever boot Win 7, and when I do it is nothing but frustrating. Would it be advisable to do a LM17 install or would that be taking to much of a chance with regard to the install trying to do updates ect. I'm hoping that the repo's for the software that I need will still be up.
It's all still up (and still receiving some security updates for Ubuntu 14.04 is under Extended Security Maintenance - which is a paid feature but you get parts of it for free). So you'll be fine, but if you're already installed you could also just keep your current installation.

In a low RAM, special interest situation like yours it's also a good possibility to run without a desktop environment by the way and only run the specific application you need. Or run something minimalist like Openbox or Fluxbox. That leaves your RAM available for the audio. Wrong thread to go into the details on this though, I'd say start out with the full Xfce thing and see if it's good enough first.

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 » Sat May 25, 2019 1:44 pm

Bryan88 wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 1:34 am
here is my situation. I have an LG i5 laptop that currently has LM17.2 32bit XFCE and Windows 7 on a dual boot. I am wanting to set it up for music recording (I know about AVLinux ect) and would like to keep LM17 as it has worked well so far and with only 2 gigs of ram I'm not too sure how well it would run LM19, which I'm using on my new laptop, and am happy with. I concede that music production may struggle with 2g ram, but I can only try. I also plan to use a lowlatency kernel, so I don't think having the latest kernels would be an issue?
Consider also Ubuntu Studio, but I'd add a couple more GB's of RAM.

http://ubuntustudio.org/

Return to “Newbie Questions”