Linux Mint 17.x has reached end of life; upgrade now!

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
RubyStone
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Linux Mint 17.x has reached end of life; upgrade now!

Post by RubyStone » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:12 pm

Never really understood why there seems to always be a need to change all kinds of GUI things, etc. just because a new release comes out. I always feel that the Linux community worked more on reliability and quality rather than the type of bling that Windows is always trying to push - and then drops.

I'll wait and see how 19.2 looks before making any final decisions. The good work Mint Team has done shows with the large user base they have. Hope they realize that the same user base is something they earned, not from popularity, but from appreciation of quality.

I see many having issues with all these new "bells and whistles" so I hope that doesn't affect things moving forward. I also hope that Mint never turns to excuse-making the way Apple always does. I have run into too many issues with 19.2 so I can't rely on it as a main OS. Even on modern hardware issues arise. Strangely, VM seems to handle 19.2 well - go figure.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:20 am

RubyStone wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:12 pm
I have run into too many issues with 19.2 so I can't rely on it as a main OS. Even on modern hardware issues arise. Strangely, VM seems to handle 19.2 well - go figure.
Well, that's not too hard to solve: a VM is hardware independent, because the hardware is being handled by the underlying host OS. :lol:

By the way: how did you acquire 19.2 before its release (not even the bèta has been released yet)?

Finally, as an aside: I'm very satisfied with Mint 19.1. Runs flawlessly on all of my machines.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Matthew_Wai
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Matthew_Wai » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:38 am

Am I right in thinking that a version which has reached its end of life will be removed from http://packages.linuxmint.com/? Is it impossible to download the packages previously released?

gm10
Level 18
Level 18

Post by gm10 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:35 am

Matthew_Wai wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:38 am
Am I right in thinking that a version which has reached its end of life will be removed from http://packages.linuxmint.com/? Is it impossible to download the packages previously released?
The possibility exists, although so far nothing has ever been removed from there.
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

Pierre
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Pierre » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:46 am

the Actual Repository itself - - will go Off-line:
- thus the Package Manager aka synaptic will no-longer have an updates.
neither will the LinuxMint Update Manager.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

RubyStone
Level 2
Level 2

Post by RubyStone » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:08 pm

Ummm, oooops.

I meant to note that I am running into issues with 19.1 (not 19.2). Doh!.

Can Cindy be configured to basically work just like mainly Cinnamon? (sam packages, etc.)

Matthew_Wai
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Matthew_Wai » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:56 pm

gm10 wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:35 am
The possibility exists, although so far nothing has ever been removed from there.
Do you mean the packages for Linux Mint 17.x still exist at http://packages.linuxmint.com/ and users can still download them?

gm10
Level 18
Level 18

Post by gm10 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:18 am

Matthew_Wai wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:56 pm
gm10 wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:35 am
Do you mean the packages for Linux Mint 17.x still exist at http://packages.linuxmint.com/ and users can still download them?
I wonder where you found uncertainty in my statement "nothing has ever been removed" that led you to ask again...?! ;)

Matthew_Wai
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Matthew_Wai » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:27 am

gm10 wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:18 am
"nothing has ever been removed"
Pierre wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:46 am
the Actual Repository itself - - will go Off-line:
- thus the Package Manager aka synaptic will no-longer have an updates.
neither will the LinuxMint Update Manager.
As nothing has ever been removed, why will the repository go offline? Can a Mint 17.x user download a previously released package via Update Manager? If not, can they download it via a URL?

gm10
Level 18
Level 18

Post by gm10 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:44 am

Matthew_Wai wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:27 am
As nothing has ever been removed, why will the repository go offline? Can a Mint 17.x user download a previously released package via Update Manager? If not, can they download it via a URL?
You will have to ask Pierre that, not me. My statement, for the third time now, is that nothing has ever been removed. He may have been talking about Ubuntu's repositories - that you didn't ask about - for those eventually get archived to a different server after an Ubuntu release reaches end of life (but they continue to exist at that location). Obviously nobody guarantees you this won't ever change in the future.

majpooper
Level 5
Level 5

Post by majpooper » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:55 am

RubyStone wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:08 pm
Ummm, oooops.

I meant to note that I am running into issues with 19.1 (not 19.2). Doh!.

Can Cindy be configured to basically work just like mainly Cinnamon? (sam packages, etc.)
You can run the same Cinnamon on LMDE 3 Cindy as you do on LM 19.1 - I run LMDE 3 Cindy with Cinnamon and my wife runs LM 19.1 with Cinnamon the seem exactly the same from what I can tell.

I quote from the linuxmint.com
LMDE aims to be as similar as possible to Linux Mint, but without using Ubuntu. The package base is provided by Debian instead.

In my experience all the packages that I use are the same but obviously there are differences between the Ubuntu and Debian package bases so you would have to look closer into what they are are if there are particular packages that you want or need. You could run a live instance of LMDE 3 Cindy and check to insure it had the packages you may be concerned about.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:00 am

Matthew_Wai wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:27 am
If you have further questions about keeping Linux Mint 17.x on your system please make a new topic for that. This topic is notice and information about migrating from Linux Mint 17.x to a supported version of Linux Mint.

We strongly recommend against continuing to use Linux Mint 17.x. Its end of life status means it's not receiving security updates since late April and it will not ever see new security updates.

Return to “Newbie Questions”