antivirus

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
maddoccanis
Level 1
Level 1

antivirus

Post by maddoccanis »

I have been trying to install CLAM antivirus. Seems to load, but where is it?
dix
Level 1
Level 1

Re: antivirus

Post by dix »

Isnt that the one without a ui, found this https://dave-theunsub.github.io/clamtk/
I will live forever or die trying
sleeper12
Level 15
Level 15

Post by sleeper12 »

Yes, you need both clamav & clamtk. Best to install them from Package Manager if they are there (I see them in Mint 19).
DAMIEN1307
Level 11
Level 11

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Please!!! read this FIRST before installing ANY sort of AntiVirus/Anti Malware software that is NOT necessary in Linux Distributions...DAMIEN

https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... html#ID1.1
ORDO AB CHAO
"I refuse to be assimilated, I refuse to become one with the Borg Collective"
sleeper12
Level 15
Level 15

Post by sleeper12 »

DAMIEN1307 wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:32 pm
Please!!! read this FIRST before installing ANY sort of AntiVirus/Anti Malware software that is NOT necessary in Linux Distributions...DAMIEN

https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... html#ID1.1
Yes, I wondered too why the OP feels he wants or needs clamav? But, that's a separate issue from what he asked. I agree it's not needed.
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

Every ANTIVIRUS software I have ever installed on any computer did nothing to guard against worms or viruses. Every one has been a source of entry for hackers and continuous demands for more money to the producers.
ricardogroetaers
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ricardogroetaers »

Note:
I do not like Clamav. It is very complicated and problematic.
I use Comodo and am satisfied.
He detected and blocked a virus for Linux on the notebook.
The first (and only) time we never forgot.
Hoser Rob
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Hoser Rob »

No, you do not need AV software for Linux. It's just not worth the trouble top write them for something with a very small user base and better security than other OSes.

Evem if AV software was needed clam wouldn't be a ver good choice. It's not a general AV program like most, it's really just meant for mail servers.

However just because you don't get viruses does NOT mean you're hack proof. Keep the system updated and take the same precautions on the web that you'd take using Windows.

WHat pjotr says about av software in the above link is true ... if you can hack an AV program you, by definition, can do whatever the frak you want. Believe it or not I've known a couple of programmers who don't use AV software in WIndows for that reason. That's only for real experts though.
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

ricardogroetaers wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:54 pm
An unlikely statement like that needs proof.... When? What virus? What filename? Was it perhaps a false positive (very common with all AV)?
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Hoser Rob
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Hoser Rob »

Pjotr wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:11 am
ricardogroetaers wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:54 pm
An unlikely statement like that needs proof.... When? What virus? What filename? Was it perhaps a false positive (very common with all AV)?
+1, that was probably a false positive.

I don't think most Linux newbies realize how pointless it is to write a Linux virus when there are so many Windows boxes out there that make life so much easier for them, Linux issues are more likely to involve the usual browser javascript attacks, compromised sources in ppas, and password cracking.
carum carvi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by carum carvi »

maddoccanis wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:07 am
I have been trying to install CLAM antivirus. Seems to load, but where is it?
Maddoccanis, welcome to the wonderful world of LinuxMint, where you really do NOT need any virus program at all. Being a total newbie 2 years ago, it took me a month of research, before I actually believed I really, really, did not need any anti virus program in LinuxMint at all. It is one of the greatest gifts of using Linux, that one can totally ignore all these anti virus programs.

Just dont install any malicious software. That is the best security tip I can give you. Only use the software which is offered by LinuxMint. Then you will be as safe as you possibly can be. Enjoy LinuxMInt!
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bob466 »

Wish I had a dollar for every time this question is asked :lol: and another dollar for the answer...No you don't...I'd be rich. :lol: :lol: Image
Linux For Ever...Windoze Never. Image
The Freedom To Choose Your Own Avatar Without Victimisation.
bulevardi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bulevardi »

I'm a total n00b in this area... (be aware, you'll be reading a ridiculous post)....
A while ago, some guy I was talking with was laughing with me because I said I didn't need any AV because I use Linux.

That guy is a well skilled IT dude working in security and claimed to know a lot about Linux too.
As this guy is a wise-ass and I'm a n00b, I couldn't really tell for sure that he was right or I was wrong in my statement.

I always hear stories but never know exact how and why... of course the Linux people will always talk in their advantage, obviously an echo room, but what if I was sceptical... I think it's a good idea to be sceptical, but in the positive way.

In the early ages, Linux was not widely used and so virus programmers were not motivated to create viruses for Linux, as their target audience would be quite small. It wouldn't be worth the effort...
But nowadays, the linux kernel is running in all smarphones and tablets running android. So I suppose there is a market for viruses, no?
And I read that you can get viruses via all sorts of ways, even .jpg photos can contain viruses.
If you never scan your system on viruses or malware, how can you be sure that you don't have any on your system?

My vision is quite simplistic, but if a hacker wants to get into your computer, even if you're protected, I believe a good hacker can. He can install a virus too.
SoundCloud^^ - Website^^ << get in touch!
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

bulevardi wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:17 pm
I'm a total n00b in this area...
You might find this article interesting, that I've written about security in Linux Mint:
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... urity.html
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
oldgranola
Level 4
Level 4

Post by oldgranola »

Thats not to say there haven't been or do not exist now vulnerabilities in Linux, Linux Mint. Keep it patched and up to date. Don't install things randomly from non official LM sources.
comadore, pcDOS, hpux, solaris, vms-vax ....blah blah blah..
Yet I'm still a fn nooob
DAMIEN1307
Level 11
Level 11

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hi bulevardi, as you probably have noticed by now, your LM OS receives updates on sometimes, almost daily basis.
THIS is why there are no viruses in the wild that can effect linux operating systems, its because vulnerabilities and security problems are continuously found and patched almost immediately rather than microcraps way of patching which is their normal 2nd tuesday of every month known as "patch" tuesday.
"a well skilled IT dude working in security" and saying they know a little something about Linux as well, in my experience usually know nothing more than say, redhat linux commercial OS editions that are running as servers, which is different then say, running home desktop varieties of linux OSs.
Linux servers DO have to watch out for viruses, malware, etc. because as servers, they are working not only with linux, but also Windows, Mac, etc. and especially with mail servers, file sharing etc. where viruses/malware can possibly be spread this way, but at the same time not effecting linux systems since Windows and Mac viruses/malware do not effect linux operating systems since they are not written for Linux, but are targeting Windows, Mac etc.
I know this is a somewhat simplistic way of stating things, but that is probably the real extent of his "knowledge" regarding linux...DAMIEN
ORDO AB CHAO
"I refuse to be assimilated, I refuse to become one with the Borg Collective"
Moem
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Moem »

bulevardi wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:17 pm
A while ago, some guy I was talking with was laughing with me because I said I didn't need any AV because I use Linux.

That guy is a well skilled IT dude working in security and claimed to know a lot about Linux too.
The next time you meet this dude, ask him to name you one single virus that's been found in the wild, on an infected Linux machine, and see what he says. Just one. Betcha he can't.

Here's an article you may find useful: https://www.howtogeek.com/135392/htg-ex ... en-you-do/

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Mute Ant
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Mute Ant »

'...if you never scan your system on viruses or malware, how can you be sure that you don't have any on your system?...' You can't, even if you do scan the system, because 'lack of evidence' is not 'proof'. A malware scanner can only tell you that you do have an infected system, not that you don't.

EXAMPLE
In the past year or so a vulnerability was found in the Xorg server, one of the most-used most-tested pieces of a desktop Linux machine. You could specify a Wallpaper that needed all of the RAM... and shut down the machine running Xorg. It's fixed now, but it had been built-in for decades.
While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named "manual".
bulevardi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bulevardi »

DAMIEN1307 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:25 pm
"a well skilled IT dude working in security" and saying they know a little something about Linux as well, in my experience usually know nothing more than say, redhat linux commercial OS editions that are running as servers, which is different then say, running home desktop varieties of linux OSs.
Well, it's a blablabla guy and very fast talking, I can't get a decent talk with him as he doesn't give room to let others speak. I mostly have not much opportunities to add my arguments in the group if he's talking.
Quite annoying. That time I argued with him I felt I couldn't defend myself enough, also due to the lack of my own knowledge.
Oh well, I don't bother anymore. I don't feel the need to win a discussion anymore lately (like I did when I was younger), I get grey hair from these situations.
Moem wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:30 pm
The next time you meet this dude, ...
Well, there are only 2 obligatory moments in the next couple of months were I'll meet him, and actually I'll try to avoid talking much with him, certainly about IT, because then he won't stop anymore.
And later on, I won't feel the need to meet him again anymore.

Anyway, it's nice to have read your comments and the in-depth information from the links you posted here.
SoundCloud^^ - Website^^ << get in touch!
Mute Ant
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Mute Ant »

Yah I used to work with someone who was more interested in winning a debate than being right (Hi Dave!) which usually boded ill for the project he was working on. I fall back on this pocket wisdom...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6X8YnCq6UME

Woody says: 'Some people drink deeply from the Well of Knowledge, some people just gargle and spit.'
While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named "manual".

Return to “Newbie Questions”