Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.1 No system audio

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
MateoEstradaR
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.1 No system audio

Post by MateoEstradaR »

When i first installed the system, the sound worked normally, i installed a few packages and now i have no cinnamon sound, i also have a game and i dont have any output. The other apps like music or any video playback sounds normally but no system sound at all.

MateoEstradaR
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.1 No system audio

Post by MateoEstradaR »

And i do have system sound on the headphone output, but no system sound from speakers

ricardogroetaers
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ricardogroetaers »

Try setting the desired sound output in the "Sound Control" or similar program on your Linux Mint.
Example:
https://i.imgur.com/XqHrXG4.png

MrEen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by MrEen »

Usually, loss of system sounds in Cinnamon is fixed by running apt install libcanberra-pulse in the terminal. However,
MateoEstradaR wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:21 pm
And i do have system sound on the headphone output, but no system sound from speakers
implies that won't help in this case. Maybe apt install --reinstall libcanberra-pulse might fix it?

Another possibility is pulseaudio got confused. Deleting the files in /home/username/.config/pulse then running pulseaudio -k in the terminal should fix it if that was the case.

Return to “Newbie Questions”