worrying upload/download issue

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
gleneagles
Level 1
Level 1

worrying upload/download issue

Post by gleneagles »

Desk top is connected to wifi using a dongle.
Running Mint 18.3.
When uploading or downloading anything the led on the dongle flashes but the problem which started last week is that the led light is continually flashing which indicates that something is either continually downloading or uploading something which as you can imagine is worrying.

So the question is this how can I find out what is uploading or downloading and of even more importance stop this activity.

I have been using Linux for years and this has never happened before.
Flemur
Level 18
Level 18

Re: worrying upload/download issue

Post by Flemur »

gleneagles wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:19 am
Desk top is connected to wifi using a dongle.
So the question is this how can I find out what is uploading or downloading and of even more importance stop this activity.
1 - check your "task manager" (or "system monitor") - it might already have ability to show internet use.
2 - there are a bunch of small programs that can show internet use in a terminal -

Code: Select all

bmon
sudo iftop -i interface-name
You might have to install them. Check that they're working by reloading a webpage...

Edit: also "nethogs".

FWIW, my USB dongle Wifi interface name gets renamed to a goofy name about 10 characters long...
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi gleneagles,

+1 for running an application to view what is running.

+1 for member Flemur comments. Nethogs is pretty nice although I do not see any new updates to this and I could not compile their qt verrsion, nethogs-qt.

My WiFi is always actively blinking because I have messenger applications always running, and I am usually doing something on the Internet using a browser.

Have you installed any software recently that may access the Internet frequently?

Another post
Can I monitor connections to open ports?
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=285851&hilit=netstat

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 and 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
gleneagles
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gleneagles »

Thanks for the replies
Yes I did install some software for copying cd's but the problem was that only the track number and not the full song title was showing, what I think I may have done was click on a online data base.
I did remove the software but that did not solve the problem.
What I did in the end which was the fastest solution for me as a newbie was to delete linux mint in windows task manager as I have a dual boot system and then reinstall the latest version of mint 19.1
Everything is working fine for me now.
murray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by murray »

gleneagles wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:31 am
What I did in the end which was the fastest solution for me as a newbie was to delete linux mint in windows task manager as I have a dual boot system and then reinstall the latest version of mint 19.1
Wow, seems like a drastic action to take for such a trivial problem!
gleneagles wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:31 am
Everything is working fine for me now.
For now, until you install something else that wants to access the internet often.

A better solution would probably have been to take the time to learn how to check what programs are accessing the internet, that way if the problem arises in the future (as it probably will) then you can trouble-shoot it yourself.
Running Mint 19.3 Cinnamon on an Intel NUC8i5BEH with 16GB RAM and 500GB SSD

Return to “Newbie Questions”