SOLVED ** Win 7 and Mint 19.1

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
CMD-Ky
Level 1
Level 1

SOLVED ** Win 7 and Mint 19.1

Post by CMD-Ky » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:42 am

I had a dual boot going just fine (Win 7 and Mint) then windows updated. Win 7 won't boot, Mint is fine. I have a backup that may destroy my Mint because it appears that it will be from scratch install. My thought is to have TimeShift make a back up of Mint on properly formatted external drive. Reinstall Win 7, let it do what ever it's going to do. Re-install Mint then restore the Timeshift backup. Is this a sensible plan? Or does anyone have a better though, I'm open.

Pure luck, Windows finally repaired itself.
Last edited by CMD-Ky on Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hoser Rob
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Win 7 and Mint 19.1

Post by Hoser Rob » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:58 am

That's what I'd do ... AFAIK WIndows doesn't understand the ext4 fdisk format. So if you reinstall Windows htte installer is going to think that the Linux partitions are unallocated space and over write them.

pbear
Level 9
Level 9

Post by pbear » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:05 pm

Have never used myself, but my understanding is that Aptik is the app intended for your scenario. Same developer, Tony George.

Aptik has lots of options but you don't need them for your case, which is very simple. Rather, per the Manual, "sudo aptik --backup-all and sudo aptik --restore-all are one-line commands for taking a backup of your system and restoring it on a new system. You can safely use these 2 commands and skip the rest of this document, if you are not interested in knowing the details of each step."
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
If your problem has been solved, please edit the thread title.

CMD-Ky
Level 1
Level 1

Post by CMD-Ky » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:36 pm

Hoser Rob wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:58 am
That's what I'd do ... AFAIK WIndows doesn't understand the ext4 fdisk format. So if you reinstall Windows htte installer is going to think that the Linux partitions are unallocated space and over write them.
I had the feeling that the whole disk may get over written, so I am approaching with caution. Presuming that Win 7 reformats and then destroys the Mint OS then do you think that I could run Mint off a USB and then reinstall my latest timshift backup and be back up and running?

CMD-Ky
Level 1
Level 1

Post by CMD-Ky » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:44 pm

Having current Timeshift (including "Home" directory) backup on an external drive formatted properly, do you believe that is sufficient or should I use the Aptik which is not in my software manager?
pbear wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:05 pm
Have never used myself, but my understanding is that Aptik is the app intended for your scenario. Same developer, Tony George.

Aptik has lots of options but you don't need them for your case, which is very simple. Rather, per the Manual, "sudo aptik --backup-all and sudo aptik --restore-all are one-line commands for taking a backup of your system and restoring it on a new system. You can safely use these 2 commands and skip the rest of this document, if you are not interested in knowing the details of each step."

pbear
Level 9
Level 9

Post by pbear » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:01 pm

Shrug. You're using Timeshift in a way it wasn't intended and declining to install the tool designed for this purpose. Maybe your way will work (be aware, at a minimum, you're going to have to fix /etc/fstab), but the safer and more reliable route would be Aptik. Your choice. Good luck.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
If your problem has been solved, please edit the thread title.

aditya02
Level 3
Level 3

Post by aditya02 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:05 pm

CMD-Ky wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:42 am
I had a dual boot going just fine (Win 7 and Mint) then windows updated. Win 7 won't boot,
can you explain in detail what is showing when you try to boot into win7. probaly a screenshot or any error.

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:19 pm

CMD-Ky wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:36 pm
I had the feeling that the whole disk may get over written, so I am approaching with caution. Presuming that Win 7 reformats and then destroys the Mint OS then do you think that I could run Mint off a USB and then reinstall my latest timshift backup and be back up and running?
The Windows installer will detect your existing installation and offer to repair it. Failing that, you can tell it what partition to install into. It won't touch the Linux installation without you telling it to. What it will do, however, is change the system to use its own bootloader, so you won't be able to boot your Mint anymore. To fix that, have a Linux Mint live USB/DVD at hand, boot from that, and then it's easiest to restore the Linux boot loader via this tool: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair.

That said, you should always have a backup of your data (timeshift won't back up your personal data).

Return to “Newbie Questions”