Getting an error message I don't understand.

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
idle
Level 3
Level 3

Getting an error message I don't understand.

Post by idle »

I went to start an app and got the following error message:

Code: Select all

GT72-6QD@GT72-6QD ~ $ sudo snap run tmnationsforever
mkdir: cannot create directory ‘/run/user/0’: Permission denied
/snap/tmnationsforever/26/bin/sommelier: line 222: 16329 Segmentation fault      env WINEARCH="${WINEARCH}" WINEPREFIX="${WINEPREFIX}" "${WINELOADER}" wineboot --init 2>&1
     16330                       | yad --progress --title="Preparing Windows environment" --width=400 --center --no-buttons --auto-close --auto-kill --on-top --pulsate
/snap/tmnationsforever/26/bin/sommelier: line 223: 16328 Segmentation fault      yad --timeout=15 --timeout-indicator=bottom --text="${NOTICE}" --no-escape --width=460 --center --no-buttons --splash --on-top
/snap/tmnationsforever/26/bin/sommelier: line 10: 16331 Segmentation fault      wget "${INSTALL_URL}" -O "${TMPDIR}/${INSTALL_EXE}" 2>&1
     16332                       | perl -p -e '$| = 1; s/^.* +([0-9]+%) +([0-9,.]+[GMKB]) +([0-9hms,.]+).*$/\1\n# Downloading... \2 (\3)/'
     16333                       | yad --progress --title="${INSTALL_EXE}" --width=400 --center --no-buttons --auto-close --auto-kill --on-top --no-escape
/snap/tmnationsforever/26/bin/sommelier: line 10: 16334 Segmentation fault      env WINEARCH="${WINEARCH}" WINEPREFIX="${WINEPREFIX}" "${WINELOADER}" "${TMPDIR}/${INSTALL_EXE}" /silent
rm: cannot remove '/tmp/tmnationsforever_setup.exe': No such file or directory
/snap/tmnationsforever/26/bin/sommelier: line 40: cd: /root/snap/tmnationsforever/common/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/TmNationsForever: No such file or directory
/snap/tmnationsforever/26/bin/sommelier: line 34: 16338 Segmentation fault      env WINEARCH="${WINEARCH}" WINEPREFIX="${WINEPREFIX}" "${WINELOADER}" "${WINE_EXE}"
Its been working for months and I haven't done anything. Nothing has changed on my system. Can anyone explain what this error is, and can I fix it?

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Getting an error message I don't understand.

Post by karlchen »

Hi, idle.

snap packages should never be executed with root privileges. So why do you prefix the command sudo to your snap commandline?
Should the commandline perhaps read snap run tmnationsforever instead?

In addition I am a bit confused by the executable filename tmnationsforever_setup.exe, which seems to suggest this might be a Windows setup executable, a Windows installer.
I am not sure whether there can be snap software packages, which bring along Windows executables, which in turn need Wine to run. The WINEARCH and WINPREFIX environment variables suggest that something Wine related is being executed.

Hm, seems that Track Mania Nations Forever is indeed installable through a snap package, which in turn will install the Windows software via Wine. (Cf. You Can Now Play ‘TrackMania Nations Forever’ on Ubuntu)

Anyway, neither snap, nor Windows executables should be executed by root.

Regards,
Karl
Linux Mint 19.2 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.22a 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)

idle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by idle »

Hi karichen, I did as you suggested 'snap run tmnationsforever' and got the following:

Code: Select all

GT72-6QD@GT72-6QD ~ $ snap run tmnationsforever
/snap/tmnationsforever/26/bin/sommelier: line 222: 12108 Segmentation fault      notify-send --icon "${SNAP}/meta/gui/tmnationsforever.png" --expire-time=15000 "${TITLE}" "${NOTICE}"
/snap/tmnationsforever/26/bin/sommelier: line 34: 12111 Segmentation fault      env WINEARCH="${WINEARCH}" WINEPREFIX="${WINEPREFIX}" "${WINELOADER}" "${WINE_EXE}"
You're right, it must be something to do with Wine. I've never installed Wine on my system, when I installed snap and tmnatonsforever, it must have installed some Wine features so it runs. Is there a way to reinstall those Wine features?

pbear
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pbear »

From the article karl linked, pretty sure nothing Wine related is installed to your system. You can confirm by running dpkg-query --list ‘wine*’ in Terminal. Rather, if I understand correctly, the Wine components are inside the snap environment.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
If your problem has been solved, please edit the thread title.

idle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by idle »

I completely got rid of everything snapd and tmnationsforever related from my system. Did a reinstall of snapd and then installed tmnationsforever and tried to run it. Exact same error as posted in the OP. Been at this for 2 days now. Even Copy/Paste the error into search engines brings up nothing. I'm not good at LinuxMint and pretty much leave my system alone and have my update policy to Just Keep My Computer Safe and Preferences to Level 1 updates only. Nothing has changed and yet one day its all working and the next I can't use snapd anymore :/

Can anyone give me a hand fixing this, or what to do next?

I found this but don't know what it means, but it seems to have the same lines in Terminal I'm seeing when trying to run it. https://github.com/snapcrafters/tmnatio ... /sommelier

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by karlchen »

<Side Issue: ignoring software updates>
idle wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:15 am
I'm not good at LinuxMint and pretty much leave my system alone and have my update policy to Just Keep My Computer Safe and Preferences to Level 1 updates only.
Not necessarily related to the problem which you keep on experiencing when trying to install tmnationsforever, nonetheless I would like to point out:
Only accepting software updates of stability level 1 is a very unwise idea.
By doing so you efficiently prevent your system from receiving more than 95% of all available bugfixes andof all available security patches.
Even in the pre-Mint 19.x era, the default setting was to accept software updates of levels 1, 2 and 3.
Starting with Mint 19, by default Mint Update Manager will accept and install all software updates, except those which are already known to break things. Yet, such updates are rare exceptions.
My advice is resetting your Update Manager policy to something more sensible than merely level 1 updates and update your software.

</Side Issue: ignoring software updates>
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by karlchen »

idle wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:15 am
Nothing has changed and yet one day its all working and the next I can't use snapd anymore :/
Who said that you snapd exhibited any malfunction?
If anything malfunctioned then it was this tmnationsforever only, I think.

idle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by idle »

Yeah okay. Are you going to help me with my problem? Ive changed the update settings to level 2 and Let me Review Sensitive Updates. So, how do I get tmnationsforever working again? :mrgreen:

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by karlchen »

Hi, idle.

I had initially only replied because I had spotted the prefixed sudo to the snap run commandline. And I am still pretty sure that snap should not be executed with root privileges.
So far there is no snap and no flatpak on my Linux Mint 18.1 (based on Ubuntu 16.04). There are not plans to change this situation.
I would have to install a GB or more of things, which I do not want to have on my system, snapd, the tmsnationsforever game and some extra Wine edition. I do not feel like doing so.

Either some Linux Mint gamers, who perhaps have successfully installed tmsnationsforever and who can successfuly execute it, will chime in and offer their help.
Or you might have to ask the guys, who make available tmsnationsforver as a snap package, what may the problem in your case. Means you may have to report your problem here, snapcrafters/tmnationsforever as an Issue.

The very first Trackmania Nations Forever installation screen (YAD screenshot) even tells that "The Trackmania snap is experimental." Hm, experiments can succeed or fail.

Plus the following hint:
Unlike Update Manager, which permits you to prevent it from doing its job of keeping your system up-to-date by installing tested bugfixes. security patches and functional updates, snap packages will be automatically updated without your consent. I.e. you may not even notice that a formerly functional snap package has been silently replaced by a new (partially or totally broken) snap package. You only notice that what used to work no longer does.
(Brave new world of software deployment without user consent.)

Best regards,
Karl

Return to “Newbie Questions”