New installation looks "washed out"

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Re: New installation looks "washed out"

Post by Moem » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:19 am

Did you then also select one of them to be used?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

AndyMH
Level 8
Level 8

Post by AndyMH » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:37 pm

You need to restart cinnamon or reboot for the changes to have any effect.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

ajm
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ajm » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:56 pm

I would chalk this up to a complete hardware issue. Your card is sending the right info (aside from calibrated info), but as rene said earlier, it may be just a backlight issue. Now you could go the full route of calibrating your monitor by using DisplayCal, or you can adjust things perceptually by making manual adjustments to brightness and contrast on the keyboard. I do the DisplayCal thing since I edit photos semi-professionally, so I like correct color and overall output, and I generate a custom color profile. My old laptop is the same way, too bright and not enough contrast, it's always been that way. The thing isn't worth calibrating, so I just make the hardware adjustments until it looks like something I can handle.

powerchord84
Level 1
Level 1

Post by powerchord84 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:10 pm

Meh. I dumped it for a Dell and everything looks great.

Return to “Newbie Questions”