fileSystem is full

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
rezza
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:42 am

fileSystem is full

Post by rezza » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:06 am

hi
i'm very newbie in Linux .
i did recently installed Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon beside windows 10 .
and i hadn't any problem with my Linux .
but since three days ago , a message was displayed to me that fileSystem partition is full , whereas i don't any try to fill the hard drive .
and sometimes freezes in different times .
until finally i couldn't login my desktop last night .
after some search , i could switch to 4.15.0.45 kernel and i could login to desktop .
but now , i stuck in login loop again .
generally , i think i didn't correctly partition .
now i have an empty drive with 400gb free space in windows partition .
please guide me how can i solve this problem until new problem has not been created .
thanks a lot
Last edited by rezza on Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

sadhu
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 549
Joined: Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:48 am
Contact:

Re: fileSystem is full

Post by sadhu » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:14 pm

This is actually a pretty tricky thing to do. Here's a nice tutorial:
How To Dual Boot Linux Mint And Windows 10 [Beginner’s Guide]

The basic idea is to set up two or more partitions: one for Windows, and the other for Linux. (I set up a third, for data, but leave that for now). This is discussed in Step 2.

Caveat: Some traps and pitfalls are described here.


Good Luck!


-Sadhu

ps: Be careful. Backup early and often.
sabbe sattā bhavantu sukhitattā. LN 18.3-64 Cinn 3.6.7, Mobo: ASUSTeK STRIX B250G GAMING v, Dual core Pntm G4560, Intel Gfx. Laptop:Dell Inspiron 15-3000, Core i3, 4G RAM Intel Gfx

rickNS
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 492
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:59 pm

Re: fileSystem is full

Post by rickNS » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:22 pm

Sorry you haven't got a reply, but little to go on here...EDIT you got one while I was making this.
rezza wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:06 am
i think i didn't correctly partition .
No one here could know, what partitions did you make, and what size ?

As a new poster, you should have a read of "How to Get Help" at the top of the main page, viewtopic.php?f=17&t=83444
Read #5 it's short, then post back the result of inxi -Fxz

Rather than guess you chose encryption during install, I'll wait to see. BTW my opinion is an encrypted install is a bad idea, unless you have a very good reason to do it.
Mint 18 mate on 2 identical Thinkpad T420's

User avatar
lsemmens
Level 8
Level 8
Posts: 2275
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:07 pm
Location: Rural South Australia

Re: fileSystem is full

Post by lsemmens » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:08 pm

All of the above. And. have you set up Timeshift? That can fill your hard drive very rapidly. It's the main reason that I don't use it. That, and I am not afraid of performing a complete system re-load if something goes pear shaped. None of my critical data is not backed up off line.
Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 bits
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop HP-ProBook-470-G2 8Gb RAM SSD
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

rezza
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:42 am

Re: fileSystem is full

Post by rezza » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:43 am

sadhu wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:14 pm
This is actually a pretty tricky thing to do. Here's a nice tutorial:
How To Dual Boot Linux Mint And Windows 10 [Beginner’s Guide]

The basic idea is to set up two or more partitions: one for Windows, and the other for Linux. (I set up a third, for data, but leave that for now). This is discussed in Step 2.

Caveat: Some traps and pitfalls are described here.


Good Luck!


-Sadhu

ps: Be careful. Backup early and often.

hi
I installed Linux in exactly the same way as in the link that you offered me .
Just something is different and that is : i don't remember i assigned any size for swap partition !!
but in system monitor was displaying swap size in 10gb .

rezza
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:42 am

Re: fileSystem is full

Post by rezza » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:44 am

rickNS wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:22 pm
Sorry you haven't got a reply, but little to go on here...EDIT you got one while I was making this.
rezza wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:06 am
i think i didn't correctly partition .
No one here could know, what partitions did you make, and what size ?

As a new poster, you should have a read of "How to Get Help" at the top of the main page, viewtopic.php?f=17&t=83444
Read #5 it's short, then post back the result of inxi -Fxz

Rather than guess you chose encryption during install, I'll wait to see. BTW my opinion is an encrypted install is a bad idea, unless you have a very good reason to do it.


Hi
I had three partition in my windows .
One partition for windows system files (200gb) . And two other partition for personal usage . ( 300gb and 400gb)
I was shrink 400gb drive to 300gb and specified 100gb for Linux installation .
In installation process , i allocated 70gb for "home" partition and 30gb for "root" partition and as i explained in the previous post , i don't remember i allocated any size for swap partition !!
But in system monitor was displaying swap size in 10gb .

rickNS wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:22 pm
then post back the result of inxi -Fxz
Unfortunately i'm not able to desktop and run inxi -Fxz command in terminal . because i stuck in login loop at all .
I went to terminal area with ctrl+alt+F1 and run inxi -Fxz command in terminal . and took a screen shot of that command output by my phone . the screen shot was attached .

rickNS wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:22 pm

Rather than guess you chose encryption during install, I'll wait to see. BTW my opinion is an encrypted install is a bad idea, unless you have a very good reason to do it.
I did not notice anything about this section unfortunately , if you may explain it.
When I installed Linux, I chose a password and logged in with that password every time.
Attachments
photo_2019-03-19_11-57-36.jpg

rezza
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:42 am

Re: fileSystem is full

Post by rezza » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:45 am

lsemmens wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:08 pm
All of the above. And. have you set up Timeshift? That can fill your hard drive very rapidly. It's the main reason that I don't use it. That, and I am not afraid of performing a complete system re-load if something goes pear shaped. None of my critical data is not backed up off line.
Hi
I don't know i sat up Timeshift or not .
How could i get to know that ?

gm10
Level 18
Level 18
Posts: 8222
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:11 pm

Re: fileSystem is full

Post by gm10 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:23 am

It's likely either Timeshift or a log file getting spammed with error messages filling that up.

Run this to see the size of your log file folder:

Code: Select all

du -sh /var/log
This folder should be a few megabytes, if it's significantly more then it's the culprit, run:

Code: Select all

du -sh /var/log/* -t 10M
to show all files and folders of at least 10 megabytes in size in there. We'd then have to investigate the actual problem by seeing what's in the log files, run e.g. tail -n100 /var/log/syslog to see the last 100 lines of the syslog (replace with whatever file is the culprit in your case, but it likely includes that one).

If the logs aren't the problem, run this:

Code: Select all

sudo rm -rfv /timeshift
This removes any timeshift snapshot you may have had.
If that deleted something, run

Code: Select all

startx
to get to your desktop, then reconfigure Timeshift to store to your other partition.

If you want you can also remove your swap file:

Code: Select all

sudo swapoff -a
sudo rm -v /swapfile
and then either re-create it with a smaller size (see section 3 of my guide here: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=284100&p=1569661#p1569661) or remove it completely. In the latter case also run:

Code: Select all

sudo sed -i '/swap/{s/^/#/}' /etc/fstab
You could also move it to the other partition if you wanted to.

rezza
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:42 am

Re: fileSystem is full

Post by rezza » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:55 am

gm10 wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:23 am
It's likely either Timeshift or a log file getting spammed with error messages filling that up.

Run this to see the size of your log file folder:

Code: Select all

du -sh /var/log
This folder should be a few megabytes, if it's significantly more then it's the culprit, run:

Code: Select all

du -sh /var/log/* -t 10M
to show all files and folders of at least 10 megabytes in size in there. We'd then have to investigate the actual problem by seeing what's in the log files, run e.g. tail -n100 /var/log/syslog to see the last 100 lines of the syslog (replace with whatever file is the culprit in your case, but it likely includes that one).

Hi
I ran

Code: Select all

du -sh /var/log
in terminal and result was :
837M

After that , i ran

Code: Select all

du -sh /var/log/* -t 10M
and result was :

11M var/log/installer
793M var/log/journal
12M var/log/syslog.1

After that i ran tail -n100 /var/log/syslog.1 and again ran

Code: Select all

du -sh /var/log
in terminal and result was :
823M

And for

Code: Select all

du -sh /var/log/* -t 10M
cammand , result was :
11M var/log/installer
793M var/log/journal

I tried to ran tail -n100 /var/log/installer and tail -n100 /var/log/journal , but show this error :
installer error reading /var/log/installer is a directory
journal error reading /var/log/journal is a directory
I should continue with rest of your reply or do i something else to solve 823M size ??

User avatar
thx-1138
Level 7
Level 7
Posts: 1826
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:15 pm
Location: Athens, Greece

Re: fileSystem is full

Post by thx-1138 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:09 am

Try journalctl --flush, then run journalctl --disk-usage to see if it got reduced.
Last edited by thx-1138 on Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:49 am, edited 3 times in total.

rezza
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:42 am

Re: fileSystem is full

Post by rezza » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:36 am

thx-1138 wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:09 am
Try journalctl --flush, then run journalctl --disk-usage to see if it got reduced.

Output is :
Journal file /var/log/journal/82929df7ee394b73b81252fe3b4e5020/user-1001.journal is truncated, importing file .
Archived and active journals take up 792.3M in the file system .


What are journals ?

User avatar
thx-1138
Level 7
Level 7
Posts: 1826
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:15 pm
Location: Athens, Greece

Re: fileSystem is full

Post by thx-1138 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:48 am

If the journal couldn't be flushed, try journalctl --vacuum-size=10M or else,
the even more drastic sudo rm -rfv /var/log/journal/*

The rest, gm10 already covered them above:
tail -n100 /var/log/syslog to see what / if something is spamming the log: not syslog.1, those are archived ones.
Then just follow the rest of gm10's instructions in regards to timeshift and/or swap.
Maybe also run apt clean (wouldn't really matter nowadays, but it won't hurt for sure).

gm10
Level 18
Level 18
Posts: 8222
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:11 pm

Re: fileSystem is full

Post by gm10 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:55 am

^ what he said. You clearly had a problem with your logs but it seems to have been in the past, so I don't think it's the current culprit, and in any case it's not big enough to fill up your entire disk. But that's a good thing, that means we don't have to race a runaway log while fixing it. Nuke the journal, then try to log in (startx or just reboot).

Priority is to get you back into your desktop, it will be easier for you to troubleshoot that way.

Once you are in, run

Code: Select all

sudo -s baobab
and let it scan your filesystem root. This will take a while but you'll see where all your disk space went. Once we know that, we'll take care of it.

User avatar
lsemmens
Level 8
Level 8
Posts: 2275
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:07 pm
Location: Rural South Australia

Re: fileSystem is full

Post by lsemmens » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:26 pm

rezza wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:45 am
lsemmens wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:08 pm
All of the above. And. have you set up Timeshift? That can fill your hard drive very rapidly. It's the main reason that I don't use it. That, and I am not afraid of performing a complete system re-load if something goes pear shaped. None of my critical data is not backed up off line.
Hi
I don't know i sat up Timeshift or not .
How could i get to know that ?
I am still very much a newbie like you, gm10 & thx-1138 are both way more competent than I, so I shall leave them to it. I hope it gets sorted for you.
Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 bits
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop HP-ProBook-470-G2 8Gb RAM SSD
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

rezza
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:42 am

Re: fileSystem is full

Post by rezza » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:38 am

thx-1138 wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:48 am
If the journal couldn't be flushed, try journalctl --vacuum-size=10M or else,
the even more drastic sudo rm -rfv /var/log/journal/*
Hi
After runing journalctl --vacuum-size=10M and then sudo du -sh /var/log output was :
38M var/log
And then sudo du -sh /var/log/* -t output was :
11M /var/log/installer

Isn't necessary to remove "installer" ??
thx-1138 wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:48 am
The rest, gm10 already covered them above:
tail -n100 /var/log/syslog to see what / if something is spamming the log: not syslog.1, those are archived ones.
Then just follow the rest of gm10's instructions in regards to timeshift and/or swap.
Maybe also run apt clean (wouldn't really matter nowadays, but it won't hurt for sure).
When i ran the tail -n100 /var/log/syslog command , many commands was displayed automatically . I took an image by my phone and attached here .

Now i run sudo rm -rfv /timeshift and rest of commands that gm10 mentioned in This Post ??
Attachments
photo_2019-03-20_09-22-39.jpg
Last edited by rezza on Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

rezza
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:42 am

Re: fileSystem is full

Post by rezza » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:56 am

gm10 wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:55 am
^ what he said. You clearly had a problem with your logs but it seems to have been in the past, so I don't think it's the current culprit, and in any case it's not big enough to fill up your entire disk. But that's a good thing, that means we don't have to race a runaway log while fixing it. Nuke the journal, then try to log in (startx or just reboot).

Priority is to get you back into your desktop, it will be easier for you to troubleshoot that way.

Once you are in, run

Code: Select all

sudo -s baobab
and let it scan your filesystem root. This will take a while but you'll see where all your disk space went. Once we know that, we'll take care of it.
Hi
I ran

Code: Select all

sudo -s baobab
and out put was :

Unable to init server : Could not connect : Connection refused
(baobab:4282): GTK-WARNING ** 13:12"05.363: cannot open display:



Although every time i boot into windows OS , system time (just time and not date) is corrupted .
for now , really time is 13:15 . but system time shows 9:30 !!!

gm10
Level 18
Level 18
Posts: 8222
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:11 pm

Re: fileSystem is full

Post by gm10 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:09 am

Did you get to your desktop? It wouldn't work otherwise.

But here's a command line version:

Code: Select all

sudo du / -hxd 1 -t 100M

rezza
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:42 am

Re: fileSystem is full

Post by rezza » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:22 am

gm10 wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:09 am
Did you get to your desktop? It wouldn't work otherwise.

But here's a command line version:

Code: Select all

sudo du / -hxd 1 -t 100M

No i didn't get to my desktop .

And when i ran

Code: Select all

sudo du / -hxd 1 -t 100M
output was :
7.3M /root
48K /snap
60K /tmp
4.0K /srv
4.0K /mnt
8.0K /media
16K /opt
16K /lost+found
4.0K /cdrom
15M / etc
4.0K /lib64
19M /sbin
16M /bin

gm10
Level 18
Level 18
Posts: 8222
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:11 pm

Re: fileSystem is full

Post by gm10 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:25 am

let it run to the end ;)

rezza
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:42 am

Re: fileSystem is full

Post by rezza » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:30 am

I think it was over.
Because i could type for new command .
I'm taking a screenshot and sending it now.

Post Reply

Return to “Newbie Questions”