E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem. E: _cache->open() failed,

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
randancing
Level 1
Level 1

E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem. E: _cache->open() failed,

Post by randancing »

My software won't allow me to update. Does anyone know what this is and what I can do about it?
jglen490
Level 5
Level 5

Re: E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem. E: _cache->open() fail

Post by jglen490 »

Did you try running

Code: Select all

dpkg --configure -a
, or

sudo dpkg --configure -a
?
I feel more like I do than I did when I got here.
Toshiba A135-S2386, Intel T2080, ATI Radeon® Xpress 200M Chipset, 2GB RAM, 500GB
Larry78723
Level 8
Level 8

Re: E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem. E: _cache->open() fail

Post by Larry78723 »

Copy the following:

dpkg --configure -a
Then open a terminal, click edit, paste and hit the 'Enter' key. If that doesn't fix it, get back to us. Otherwise, please mark your topic [SOLVED].
karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by karlchen »

The command to be executed is

sudo dpkg --configure -a
Note the prefixed sudo This will make sure that the dpkg part will be run with root privileges.
Linux Mint 19.3 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.51 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)
deanr72
Level 3
Level 3

Post by deanr72 »

What a coincidence. I had exactly the same problem the other day and found the same solution elsewhere. The command should solve the problem - or at least it did foe me.

Return to “Newbie Questions”