Links On Desktop Tessa 19.1

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
investdude
Level 3
Level 3

Links On Desktop Tessa 19.1

Post by investdude »

Just upgraded from Mint Cinnamon 17.3 to 19.1 (but still a newbie to Linux). I use the XP desktop and on 17.3 I used to put links to websites on the desktop to facilitate quick access to frequently used sites. However on 19.1 it is impossible to do this. When you try to click and drag or right click on a bookmark, nothing happens. Does anyone know if this is the way 19.1 is set up, or is there any alternative, or perhaps some kind of work around? Any advice would be appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Links On Desktop Tessa 19.1

Post by smurphos »

Both Firefox and Chrome / Chromium should allow drag and drop to desktop from their respective bookmark UI's

Check your settings for the desktop and specifically this one....

Chrome / Chromium also has a under hamburger menu > more tools > create shortcut the ability to add individual web pages to the menu and desktop.

The other way is to manually create launchers on the desktop. Right click on the desktop > click create launcher here > in the dialog manually make your launcher with the command xdg-open - for example xdg-open https://forums.linuxmint.com

However there is bug you'll need to fix before you can use the last method - see https://github.com/linuxmint/cinnamon/issues/8275

To fix the bug run these commands in turn in a terminal window.

Code: Select all

wget https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/files/2781704/cinnamon-desktop-editor-c42a03a.py.patch.zip

unzip cinnamon-desktop-editor-c42a03a.py.patch.zip

sudo patch /usr/share/cinnamon/cinnamon-desktop-editor/cinnamon-desktop-editor.py < cinnamon-desktop-editor-c42a03a.py.patch
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
investdude
Level 3
Level 3

[SOLVED] Re: Links On Desktop Tessa 19.1

Post by investdude »

Thanks for your help Smurphos. I am using Firefox and "Show desktop icons on primary monitor only" is checked in the desktop settings but I still cannot drag and drop from a bookmark. However, I followed your instructions to create a launcher on the desktop and it worked, so my problem is solved, thanks to your expertise!

Return to “Beginner Questions”