[SOLVED] SHA256 Sum Verification Problems

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ajzcole

[SOLVED] SHA256 Sum Verification Problems

Post by ajzcole »

Hi all,

I am in the process of converting to Linux from Win10 after one forced update too many and am currently at the stage of verifying integrity.
I have made a folder called ISO, within which are both sha256 files and the copy of Linux Mint, and this file is located in my SSD, without being in any other folder.

After installing the Cygwin terminal, I went ahead and entered the commands only to be told that there is no such directory named "ISO".

I am clueless as to what to do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

[SOLVED] Turns out I'm dumb, and the file pathway needed to be specified, not just the name.
In a very short space of time, I've managed to make 2 posts here of 2 of the dumbest questions I imagine have been seen on this forum. Thanks for everyone's help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: SHA256 Sum Verification Problems

Post by karlchen »

Hello, ajzcole.

10 minutes after marking this thread as [solved], [SOLVED] SHA256 Sum File Downloads Problems, you are stuck again in the verfication process?

In Cygwin you have to navigate to the folder where you have stored the files, i.e. you have to navigate to the folder named "ISO".
The terminal command to change to a folder is cd foldername where foldername has to be replaced by the actual foldername.
You can check what is inside a folder in the Cygwin terminal window by executing the command ls -l (the option is: hyphen lowercase L)

Can you check inside Windows Explorer, please, where precisely the folder "ISO" is located? I mean, determine the full pathname to the folder "ISO".
You will need the complete pathname for the cd command in the Cygwin terminal.

Regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
gm10

Re: SHA256 Sum Verification Problems

Post by gm10 »

Instead of the whole cygwin you can also simply download the Windows version of GPG, shift+right click your download folder and select to open a command/powershell prompt and then run the gpg commands (and for the hash check you can use Window's built-in CertUtil, but you're past that step). Maybe that's easier.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: [SOLVED] SHA256 Sum Verification Problems

Post by karlchen »

<epilogue>
Let us be frank:
Verifying the integrity of the ISO image file and the authenticity of the sha256sum.txt file on Windows is a pretty tedious process, because by default not all needed software to do both steps comes pre-installed on Windows. :(
</epilogue>
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline

Return to “Beginner Questions”