Unable to enter BIOS

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Holmes177

Unable to enter BIOS

Post by Holmes177 »

I was unable to enter BIOS(non UEFI system) after installing either Mint 19.1 or 18.3. After some troubleshooting, I discovered that if I attempted to enter BIOS after a restart from Mint, that it would just go directly to GRUB. If I did a restart from Windows 7, I was able to enter BIOS. Just an interesting observation for anyone else having this issue. Obviously I'm using a dual boot with W7 & Mint 18.3(Mint 19 kept freezing on my machine.)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Unable to enter BIOS

Post by Neil Edmond »

BIOS access happens before any operating system is initialized, Linux, Windows or something else. One can even access BIOS with no HDD installed.

So my guess is you are a little to slow pressing the BIOS access key at times.
Holmes177

Post by Holmes177 »

Nope, Mint does something to bypass the BIOS select key. Just like it will reset your time in BIOS(and your Windows OS) to UTC time unless you set the rtc to local. And Yes, I did have to disconnect the hdd containing Mint in order to access BIOS before I discovered what was going on.
Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Neil Edmond »

Please accept my apology, I did not intend to start an argument with you. Since I know nothing about the kind of hardware you are using, I should have written that on most consumer systems BIOS access happens before the operating system is initialized. Now if you are using a LibreBoot or CoreBoot system, well I just don't know, I've never dealt with such.

I'm also aware that some server hardware vendors have software packages that allow BIOS settings changes, but I'm not aware of any such software in Linux Mint. I would also imagine system administrators on the enterprise level, have the means to deploy a large number of machines all with the same BIOS and software configurations, but I've never been involved in such a project, so don't know the details of how that's done either. If I'm wrong about any of this, I hope someone more knowledgeable than myself steps in with a correction.
Dot_mdb
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Dot_mdb »

Holmes177 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:04 am I was unable to enter BIOS(non UEFI system) after installing either Mint 19.1 or 18.3. After some troubleshooting, I discovered that if I attempted to enter BIOS after a restart from Mint, that it would just go directly to GRUB. If I did a restart from Windows 7, I was able to enter BIOS. Just an interesting observation for anyone else having this issue. Obviously I'm using a dual boot with W7 & Mint 18.3(Mint 19 kept freezing on my machine.)
Have you tried shutting down the machine and doing a fresh start? Also, if you have fast boot enabled you might have to hold down the proper key right from the beginning of the restart. When I want to enter the BIOS, I never do a "warm" restart.

Bill
murray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by murray »

Dot_mdb wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:55 pm Have you tried shutting down the machine and doing a fresh start? Also, if you have fast boot enabled you might have to hold down the proper key right from the beginning of the restart. When I want to enter the BIOS, I never do a "warm" restart.
I've known some PCs that skip the BIOS's POST when you do a restart, meaning they restart a bit quicker and that can mean you don't have time to press the BIOS entry key.
Running Mint 19.3 Cinnamon on an Intel NUC8i5BEH with 16GB RAM and 500GB SSD
Holmes177

Post by Holmes177 »

Yes, I've done a complete shutdown, unplugged the power supply for 30 seconds, and disabled fast boot. Just google this, "unable to "enter bios" linux mint" and look at the results. This is not a rare occurrence. But it does seem to only present on dual boot systems.
Dot_mdb
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Dot_mdb »

Holmes177 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:02 pm Yes, I've done a complete shutdown, unplugged the power supply for 30 seconds, and disabled fast boot. Just google this, "unable to "enter bios" linux mint" and look at the results. This is not a rare occurrence. But it does seem to only present on dual boot systems.
I've encountered that problem on Windows 10 also. You might have to hit the shift key when you shut down or else Windows doesn't really shut down the machine. Either that or you have to pull out the power.

As far as dual boot goes, I don't dual boot with Windows any longer on any of my machines. I only run Windows on dedicated machines and on those I boot Linux through the USB port.

Bill
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

that FastBoot / hibernate option, should not exist on any win-7 system,

but Holmes177 , can you give the make & model of that machine ?.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Holmes177 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:19 pm Nope, Mint does something to bypass the BIOS select key.
Nope, Mint does no such thing. The kernel does it.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Neil Edmond wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:52 pm I'm also aware that some server hardware vendors have software packages that allow BIOS settings changes, but I'm not aware of any such software in Linux Mint. I would also imagine system administrators on the enterprise level, have the means to deploy a large number of machines all with the same BIOS and software configurations, but I've never been involved in such a project, so don't know the details of how that's done either. If I'm wrong about any of this, I hope someone more knowledgeable than myself steps in with a correction.
All wrong, I'm afraid. The kernel ignores most BIOS settings and sets its own desired values. For example, you can disable C-states and P-states in the BIOS until the cows come home but the kernel will go on its merry way ignoring the BIOS and enable them all again. This is why there are a lot of kernel command line options; to override the kernel's override of the BIOS. In general, the BIOS is only used, with the exception of perhaps RAM and CPU clock speeds, and the default boot device, by the kernel in order to initiate booting, which is also under the control of the kernel, not the bootloader.

That said, there is probably some bug in the OP's BIOS because this not being able to enter BIOS hasn't ever happen on any gear I've ever owned.

Windwoes, on the other hand, honours most, if not all, BIOS settings.

Cheers.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bob466 »

Maybe OP is tapping the wrong key at Boot. Image
Linux For Ever...Windows Never. Image
The Freedom To Choose Your Own Avatar Without Victimisation.
Shiratori
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Shiratori »

Doubtful, as they're able to enter the BIOS when rebooting from Win7 so they're aware of the correct keypress.
Holmes177

Post by Holmes177 »

"that FastBoot / hibernate option, should not exist on any win-7 system," Correct, I used the wrong term:
- I should have stated Quick Boot which can be disabled in my BIOS.
Holding down the shift key on reboot does nothing in W7, you're thinking W10.
Mint doesn't do it, the kernal does? Well, that kernal got installed when I installed Mint!
Did any of you skeptics do a GOOGLE SEARCH on this, as I suggested in an earlier post??
FYI, the MB is a Biostar TA790GX
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

that Quick Boot - - is an function, that will bypass any Motherboard Self Checking:
- - the RAM self check, for example.
it then enables, the machine to boot up in, just a few minutes, whereas it would normally take two minutes . .

the windows Fast Start, then improves on this, as well, by using the hibernate function,
to speed up the operating system's starting time, as well.

all of which, should give a working desktop, in 30s or so :shock:
- - if the windows system is working correctly, of course, & which it invariable is not doing . . . .
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

Holmes177 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:47 amDid any of you skeptics do a GOOGLE SEARCH on this, as I suggested in an earlier post??
Did last night, actually, and what it mostly showed is that folks have run into the issue for lots of reasons, mostly user specific. Indeed, I found only one similar to yours, this Ubuntu Forum thread where boot repair solved the problem. If that doesn't work, please post a complete system info report. Open Terminal, run inxi -Fxz and post the output here using code tags (the </> button above the text entry box). If you're not familiar with inxi, the z flag filters your personal info (see man inxi), so this is safe to post publicly.
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bob466 »

Holmes177 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:04 am I was unable to enter BIOS(non UEFI system) after installing either Mint 19.1 or 18.3. After some troubleshooting, I discovered that if I attempted to enter BIOS after a restart from Mint, that it would just go directly to GRUB. If I did a restart from Windows 7, I was able to enter BIOS.
What is the first thing we do with a new build ? We enter the BIOS...set System Time and Date then Boot Order...We then Install the OS.

My Desktop Computer...UEFI Dual BIOS when built ran Windows 7...is now running Cinnamon from 17.2 to 19.1 as of now. The same Key when tapped (not held) at Boot brings up the BIOS for both...tapping a different Key brings up the Grub Menu...so it's clearly user error in this case. Image
Linux For Ever...Windows Never. Image
The Freedom To Choose Your Own Avatar Without Victimisation.

Return to “Beginner Questions”