(Solved)Panel icons size or shape

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
BoDill
Level 4
Level 4

(Solved)Panel icons size or shape

Post by BoDill »

I just got started with Linux 19 after years of using 17, and I am NOT a whiz with computers. When putting icons in my panel, I have figured out how to put different images in the icons, but have not figured out how to resize them as I did with 17. For example, the panel icon for Google News has the word, "NEWS" on it, but due to it's square shape, you only see "EW". Is there a way to change the size or shape of the panel icon so that it says, "NEWS"?

Thank you in advance,

BoDill
Last edited by BoDill on Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Desktop: OptiPlex-790 Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 bits: 64, Desktop: MATE 1.20.1 Distro; Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa
Laptop: Dell Latitude E6420; Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa

smurphos
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Panel icons size or shape

Post by smurphos »

Bodill - you are missing an essential bit of info in your query - which Desktop environment? From your previous posts I'm guessing MATE now rather than Cinnamon but other readers may not have come across your other posts.

Including the output of inxi -Fxz run in a terminal in you're support requests would help. Copy the results into [code][/code] tags into your reply.

Anyway my two cent's - pick an existing square icon for G News e.g. this one which is the Favicon if you bookmark it...

For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

BoDill
Level 4
Level 4

Post by BoDill »

To smurphos, and for the benefit of anyone else who might be watching,

First, thank you soooo much for responding to my posts, and especially for NOT treating me like an idiot.

Second, I hope that the information at the bottom of my posts is along the line of what you recommended; and if not, please let me know what else I should have, or if I should eliminate anything.

Third, I tried entering the two things that were in brackets, code and /code, in the terminal and got nothing, so if I misinterpreted the instruction, let me know. Also note that I wrote the words "code" and "/code" without the brackets in this post because Linux changes them to a different kind of readout when I "Preview" the post. In actuality, I entered the two words with the brackets with no space between the brackets, I believe exactly as you wrote them, when I put them in the terminal.

Fourth, if there is a way to put an Icon in my panel that is not strictly square, and I find out how to do it, I will add it to this post. Since I had my Linux 17 Panel populated with interesting icons of different widths, and it could NOT have been hard to do, I assume that there is something that I have long since forgotten that would enable me to do it in Linux 19. However, if that is something that is no longer possible due to developments, someone could save me the trouble and tell me that it is not possible.

At any rate, thank you VERY much again for your continued support, and for your very clear answers and instructions.

BoDill

PS If I can't find a way to solve this in few days, I'll mark this (Solved) anyway; that is unless you recommend something else, like (Closed) or (Don't bother).
Desktop: OptiPlex-790 Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 bits: 64, Desktop: MATE 1.20.1 Distro; Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa

kevin987
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kevin987 »

BoDill wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:53 pm
Third, I tried entering the two things that were in brackets, code and /code, in the terminal and got nothing, so if I misinterpreted the instruction, let me know. Also note that I wrote the words "code" and "/code" without the brackets in this post because Linux changes them to a different kind of readout when I "Preview" the post. In actuality, I entered the two words with the brackets with no space between the brackets, I believe exactly as you wrote them, when I put them in the terminal.
You don't use the code in your Terminal. It is strictly for your output here.

The easiest way to post the system information here is to click on the

Code: Select all

</> button above the post
and then place the information in the middle of the 2 code functions that are in brackets. Do a preview and you should see the info in a more readable

green font.
Linux Mint 19.1 (Cinnamon)
LMDE 3 (Cinnamon)
GeckoLinux 150 (Cinnamon)

BoDill
Level 4
Level 4

Post by BoDill »

To kevin987,

In your post, look at the line, "The easiest way to post the system information here is to click on the ...." which is followed by a box with "CODE: SELECT ALL" in the top, and "</> button above the post" in the box. Since I started typing this as soon as I saw your post, I will have to look at another post to see if I can locate the "button above the post".

Also, I did put the information that I found in the Terminal (inxi -Fxz) at the bottom of my form (if that is the correct term for one of these posts?).

Please note that I am leaving for the rest of the evening, so I won't be back to these posts until at least tomorrow.

BoDill

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

BoDill wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:44 pm
I will have to look at another post to see if I can locate the "button above the post".

Here it is:
codebutton.png

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

kevin987
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kevin987 »

BoDill wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:44 pm
To kevin987,

In your post, look at the line, "The easiest way to post the system information here is to click on the ...." which is followed by a box with "CODE: SELECT ALL" in the top, and "</> button above the post" in the box. Since I started typing this as soon as I saw your post, I will have to look at another post to see if I can locate the "button above the post".

Also, I did put the information that I found in the Terminal (inxi -Fxz) at the bottom of my form (if that is the correct term for one of these posts?).

Please note that I am leaving for the rest of the evening, so I won't be back to these posts until at least tomorrow.

BoDill
The "CODE: SELECT ALL" you are referring to is simply an alert that states the green font information that will be listed below has been placed within the code tags. Clicking on "Select all" allows anyone to copy that information so they can paste that info somewhere else.

You need to look above your own posts to see the buttons in question. B for Bold, I for Italic text, </> for code tags, ect.

It appears a truncated version of the information smurphos requested is in your signature. The entire output of inxi -Fxz from your Terminal should be placed in your post here, placing that information within the code tags.
Linux Mint 19.1 (Cinnamon)
LMDE 3 (Cinnamon)
GeckoLinux 150 (Cinnamon)

smurphos
Level 15
Level 15

Post by smurphos »

BoDill wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:53 pm
Second, I hope that the information at the bottom of my posts is along the line of what you recommended; and if not, please let me know what else I should have, or if I should eliminate anything.
It does partially, but...

1) Many readers will not see the signature line at all (there is an option in the forum preferences not to see signatures)

2) Many will 'mistrust' the info as potentially out of date (are you really going to remember to update the kernel info after each kernel update?)

3) When you change your signature it changes it on all your old posts so could lead to confusion amongst other users reviewing your older posts for solutions to issues if the signature content is no longer relevant to the post content.

4) The inxi output is more comprehensive and current. It includes useful tidbits such as your current kernel, uptime, and how full your file-system is which can provide useful hints for more esoteric issues.

Back to your query - I couldn't work out a way to have rectangular image as an launcher icon on the panel in MATE, without editing the image file itself to make it both vertically and horizontally symmetrical in dimensions.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

BoDill
Level 4
Level 4

Post by BoDill »

To smurphos and all,

First, thank you for your patience.

Next, since I evidently don't know for sure what I am doing, I am enclosing the whole result of inxi -Fxz below.

Let me know if this is right, and/or you want something else.

bo@bo-OptiPlex-790:~$ inxi -Fxz
System:
  Host: bo-OptiPlex-790 Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 bits: 64 
  compiler: gcc v: 7.3.0 Desktop: MATE 1.20.1 Distro: Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa 
  base: Ubuntu 18.04 bionic 
Machine:
  Type: Desktop System: Dell product: OptiPlex 790 v: 01 serial: <filter> 
  Mobo: Dell model: 0D28YY v: A03 serial: <filter> BIOS: Dell v: A11 
  date: 12/30/2011 
CPU:
  Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Core i3-2120 bits: 64 type: MT MCP 
  arch: Sandy Bridge rev: 7 L2 cache: 3072 KiB 
  flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 26340 
  Speed: 1596 MHz min/max: 1600/3300 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1596 2: 1597 
  3: 1596 4: 1596 
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics 
  vendor: Dell driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.6 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa 
  resolution: 1600x900~60Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Sandybridge Desktop v: 3.3 Mesa 18.2.8 
  direct render: Yes 
Audio:
  Device-1: Intel 6 Series/C200 Series Family High Definition Audio 
  vendor: Dell driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:1b.0 
  Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.15.0-46-generic 
Network:
  Device-1: Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network vendor: Dell driver: e1000e 
  v: 3.2.6-k port: 3060 bus ID: 00:19.0 
  IF: eno1 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter> 
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 232.89 GiB used: 18.99 GiB (8.2%) 
  ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Seagate model: ST250DM000-1BD141 size: 232.89 GiB 
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 228.23 GiB used: 18.99 GiB (8.3%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1 
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 31.0 C mobo: N/A 
  Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A 
Info:
  Processes: 171 Uptime: 26m Memory: 7.67 GiB used: 1.81 GiB (23.7%) 
  Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 7.3.0 Shell: bash v: 4.4.19 
  inxi: 3.0.27 
bo@bo-OptiPlex-790:~$ 
Thank you,
BoDill
Last edited by Moem on Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Adding [code] tags. They retain some formatting that makes your output easier to read.

BoDill
Level 4
Level 4

Post by BoDill »

1) To Smurphos; Is the stuff in my last post, in the box marked, “CODE: SELECT ALL”, what you asked for in your previous post?

2) To Smurphos and all; What would be the best info to put in the bottom of my post-form? Perhaps:

2014 – 2019 OptiPlex-GX520, Linux 17 MATE,
2019 – now OptiPlex-790; Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 bits: 64, Desktop: MATE 1.20.1 Distro: Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa,

Or something else?

3) Recently while dealing with this Panel question, I saw something that said we can configure the new Linux to look like older versions, with the old grey Panel design. Now I cannot find that article, so I don’t know if it would let me use different widget designs like the ones I used to have. Does anyone know how to find this information, or if it would make “custom Panel widgets” possible?

Note that in my quest I have managed to put different pictures, (or icons?), on the widgets in my panel, but right now they are all square.

BoDill

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

You cannot resize the icons, you need to resize the panel (right click > properties), the icons will scale automatically. But as smurphos said, it's an issue of the choice of icon. Icons are always square at the base, no matter what. I'm fairly certain that wasn't different in LM17.

BoDill
Level 4
Level 4

Post by BoDill »

To gm10,

I don't want to make enemies by laboring over this, but in my LM 17 Panel I had a few rectangular widgets (I hope that is the right word) including one that said "Dow Jones" with a slash under it that is 1 1/8 inches wide by 5/16 inch high in my Panel (which on my present screen is 5/16 high). There is also a bright red one that says "NEWS" that is 7/16 wide by 5/16 high, and the one for "Google" is 5/8 wide by 5/16 high., etc. etc.

As I say, this is not a big deal, but I have been looking at these same widgets for years, and I would have liked to get them again.

Actually, I tried to figure out to put a "Picture" of my old Panel and/or its widgets in this post, but after a few tries I gave up (my old computer is plugged in right next to my new one and is still operable). You might notice that my posts over the years are rather plain and simple because I don't know how to do much fancy stuff like photos and graphs, etc. Also, I honestly spend hours, and sometimes days, wrestling with a problem before I turn to a post. I'm really just not very good with computer stuff. ( If you are interested enough in seeing it, perhaps you could tell me how to make such a "Picture", or at least give me link to something that would tell me how to do it VERY simple terms.)

Also, I finish all my posts with "BoDill", so by typing that into the search box, I can look back at what I have asked about in the past.

So, please don't take offence, I was just so comfortable with the old Panel....

BoDill
Last edited by BoDill on Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

BoDill wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:58 pm
I was just so comfortable with the old Panel....
Here's something simple you could look at:

- Open the Menu.
- Find the menu search box. Type into that: 'welcome'
- The Welcome screen menu entry should pop up; click on it to open the Welcome screen.
- Go to the First Steps tab.
- On that tab, you'll find 'Desktop Layout'. Choose 'Traditional'.

I'm pretty sure this will bring you much closer to what you are used to.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

BoDill wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:58 pm
I don't want to make enemies by laboring over this, but in my LM 17 Panel I had a few rectangular widgets (I hope that is the right word) including one that said "Dow Jones" with a slash under it that is 1 1/8 inches wide by 5/16 inch high in my Panel (which on my present screen is 5/16 high). There is also a bright red one that says "NEWS" that is 7/16 wide by 5/16 high, and the one for "Google" is 5/8 wide by 5/16 high., etc. etc.

[...]

So, please don't take offence, I was just so comfortable with the old Panel....
I'll take offense should you start insulting me, but I had the impression we were just having a civilized conversation so far. ;)

Also I have the feeling there may be confusion about panel launchers and applets. The former you get to choose the icon for and it is always square, but the latter can have any shape they want but you typically do not get to choose the icon, it depends on the applet's author.

BoDill
Level 4
Level 4

Post by BoDill »

To moem,

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately I tried what you said, and the only selections I got on my "First Steps" tab are; System Snapshots, Driver manager, Update Manager, System Settings, Software Manager, and Firewall. I fooled around for a little while clicking on the various selections but did not find "Desktop Layout".

However, when I entered, "Linux desktop layout" in Google, I got a set of instructions in the Linux Mint website that showed a simple selection between the new Panel and the old in the second frame of instructions. Its just that I don't get that when I open my "First Steps".

I'll check in tomorrow, as I haven't eaten all day!

BoDill

BoDill
Level 4
Level 4

Post by BoDill »

To all,

1) Regarding photos; if I knew how to put a photo of my old Panel into a post, I would, as it seems that some of you don’t believe that I have icons, (or widgets?) in my Panel that are not square but rectangular. If there is an easy way to get such a picture, and put it in a post, tell me how or direct me to instructions.

2) Regarding the post above, by Moem » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:07 pm , is it possible that there is something wrong with my LM 19 installation that would prevent me from having the “Desktop Layout” section in my “First Steps”?

Also, since the "Desktop Layout" section of my “First Steps” isn’t included, I have a couple more questions;

One being; is there something I do to activate, or whatever the proper term is, the “Desktop Layout” capability? Perhaps something I could enter into the “Terminal”?

The second thing is; do you think I should start over and perhaps buy an “Installation Disc” (or something) and just reinstall LM19?

This is my "Edit"; made a little later in the day I decided to see if I could put another icon, or widget, into my Panel in LM 17, so that I could give you an example. I found a Linux Mint Logo at, "http://fosssig.com/archive/linux-sig/2011-2/112011-2/", then put a copy of the logo image, which is long but not tall, on my desktop. The image has the Linux logo followed by the words "Linux Mint" and is more than twice as long as it is tall (11/16 x 5/16 in my panel). I simply opened my desktop icon, or applet, or whatever it is called that sits on my desktop and looks like a blank sheet of paper, and right clicked on it, then clicked "Properties". Then, with the Properties window opened, I slid the Linux Logo into the picture of a sheet of paper that is in the properties window, and it changed the paper to the new logo in the properties window, and on my desktop. Then, when I slid the icon, or whatever it is, down into my panel, it showed up with the same proportions as the one on my desktop.

If I have not told this clearly, let me know and I'll try to be better.

BoDill

smurphos
Level 15
Level 15

Post by smurphos »

BoDill wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:55 pm
If I have not told this clearly, let me know and I'll try to be better.
Thanks Bodill - that'c clear. Unfortunately attempting the same process in Mate 19 / 19.1 doesn't have the same result so I guess changes to Mate Panel in the interim mean it can't be easily done anymore . The only way I could get that icon to fully display as a panel launcher in mate 19 was by having a ridiculously tall panel and all the other icons looked ridiculous as a result. It displays fine as a Desktop launcher (in both Mate and Cinnamon).

Don't worry about the traditional vs modern desktop layout - that's a Cinnamon desktop option - it doesn't apply to Mate.

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

smurphos wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:32 am
Don't worry about the traditional vs modern desktop layout - that's a Cinnamon desktop option - it doesn't apply to Mate.
Oops! Sorry, BoDill, for sending you on a wild goose chase.

BoDill
Level 4
Level 4

Post by BoDill »

To smurphos, Moem, and all,

Thank you for your help, support, and especially your patience.

Sadly, I still have a question, but it might require an entirely new post. In my post of; "by BoDill » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:33 pm"; I mentioned that my "First Steps" menu (or window, or whatever) did not have the "Desktop Layout" feature. In another post in that game group, a responder to the Panel widget problem said something to the effect that; I must be mistaken because it didn't work for him in LM 17.

Therefore, I'm wondering if perhaps an LM download might be effected by the computer itself. For instance, is it possible that I don't have the "Desktop Layout" function because of a shortcoming in my computer?

Again, thank you, and let me know if I should post this question in a new series.....
BoDill

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

BoDill wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:18 pm
For instance, is it possible that I don't have the "Desktop Layout" function because of a shortcoming in my computer?
No, that is not the case; as has been established that's a feature of the Cinnamon version of Mint. And that's not what you are using; you are using the Mate version. So it's completely normal that you are not seeing it.

Return to “Newbie Questions”