Adobe flashplayer doesn't work

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
ken_innis
Level 1
Level 1

Adobe flashplayer doesn't work

Post by ken_innis »

I'm running Mint 19.1 and Adobe flashplayer doesn't work in any of the browsers I have; Firefox, Chrome, Opera, or Vivaldi. It works halfway with Spectrum TV displaying everything except the picture. It can navigate through the site and display the guide with all the channels and programs but it won't play any show that you select. It works fine in Windows so I am saying the problem is with Linux.
Last edited by ken_innis on Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kevin987
Level 4
Level 4

Re: [RESOLVED]issue with update of Adobe Flash

Post by kevin987 »

ken_innis wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:12 am
I'm running Mint 19.1 and Adobe flashplayer doesn't work in any of the browsers I have; Firefox, Chrome, Opera, or Vivaldi. It works halfway with Spectrum TV displaying everything except the picture. It can navigate through the site and display the guide with all the channels and programs but it won't play any show that you select. It works fine in Windows so I am saying the problem is with Linux.
I'm not having any problems with Adobe Flash on Mint 19.1 with Firefox, Chromium or Opera.

You can check to see if it's installed in the Terminal with:

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg --get-selections | grep adobe
You'll have to use a search engine to see how each web browser uses Adobe Flash, such as:
enable flash player for opera and seeing what adobe.com says about it.
Linux Mint 19.1 (Cinnamon)
LMDE 3 (Cinnamon)
GeckoLinux 150 (Cinnamon)

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Adobe flashplayer doesn't work

Post by Moem »

Mod note:
Split off into a new thread, please do not post questions of your own in existing threads. Start new thread instead. Thanks!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

ken_innis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ken_innis »

I thought there might be other people who were having the same problem and the answer was fairly simple and obvious but there doesn't seem to be anyone who knows the solution.

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by karlchen »

Hello, ken_innis.

Frankly speaking, from your initial post it is not really possible to understand what the problem is or the problem cause. Hence it is unlikely that anyone can offer a solution for whatever the problem really is.
It would have been wise to let us know which Flash version(s) are installed on your Linux Mint 19.1, as kevin987 had asked you to do.

Please, open a terminal window.
Execute the commandline

dpkg --list *flash* | grep "^ii"
This will list any installed Flash plugin.
Please, mark the complete screen output which the command will display with your mouse.
Copy the marked text into the clipboard by pressing the keyboard shortcut <Ctrl><Shift>C.
Paste it into your next reply.

By the way, you are aware that most (all?) browsers today will display Flash animations only on a case by case basis, i.e. you have to confirm that Flash should be permitted whenever you enter a website which uses Flash?

Also are the Flash animations which you wish to watch / use perhaps copyright protected? In this case it may be necessary to enable displaying DRM protected content in your browser. E.g. in Firefox, this can be done under Preferences => Common => Display DRM protected content.

Best regards,
Karl
Linux Mint 19.2 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.22a 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)

ken_innis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ken_innis »

You are treating me like a newbie which I don't appreciate. Yes it's installed and it's allowed on every browser. I'm not happy that Spectrum still uses that instead of HTML5 but since it plays on windows I know the only difference is this OS which has a few shortcomings. There were some annoying problems with getting the video driver to function properly but everything else that uses it is perfectly normal. Even Adobe admits that their flashplayer is on the way out so I'd be happy to live without it but this cable TV company keeps using it so it forces everyone to use it. http://watch.spectrum.net/livetv

ken@Powerful1:~$ sudo dpkg --get-selections | grep adobe
[sudo] password for ken:         
adobe-flash-properties-gtk			install
adobe-flashplugin				install

ken@Powerful1:~$ sudo apt-get install adobe-flash-properties-gtk
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
adobe-flash-properties-gtk is already the newest version (1:20190312.1-0ubuntu0.18.04.1).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

ken@Powerful1:~$ sudo apt-get install adobe-flashplugin
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
adobe-flashplugin is already the newest version (1:20190312.1-0ubuntu0.18.04.1).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
ken@Powerful1:~$
Last edited by karlchen on Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added [code] tags so commands and their output can be read more easily

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by karlchen »

Hello, ken_innis.

Please, be aware that we have precisely your written report in order to understand
+ what the symptoms are which you see
+ make educated guesses on what the causes might be.

Therefore asking back for more details is not an act of treating anybody like a newbie. It is a necessary step in order to understand better the nature of the reported problem. We are not sitting in front of your machine. We do not see what you see. We cannot quickly check anything on your machine. We depend on your input.

From the commandlines which you executed and from their output we can be sure that Adobe Flash 32.0.0.156 has been installed (NPAPI plugin for Firefox, PPAPI for the others).

From what you write, we might assume that the only webpage which causes Flash problems is the only mentioned website, http://watch.spectrum.net/livetv. This in turn would mean that the statement that Flash did not work at all on Linux Mint may be a kind of hyperbole.

With respect to http://watch.spectrum.net/livetv specifically:
Their Minimum Service Requirements suggest that only registered Spectrum TV users, who are running on Linux, will be able to tell whether your issues with Spectrum TV on Linux are encountered frequently and whether there is a single specific setting, which has to be enabled in your browser. (Enable DRM protected content e.g.)
Reason:
Only registered Spectrum TV users can check out whether Spectrum TV works on their Linux + Firefox + Flash. No account, no test.

Sorry, precisely for this reason - I cannot test anything - I cannot provide any further advice.
So all you can do is hoping that another forum user chimes in, who is a registered Spectrum TV user and who runs it on Linux Mint or Ubuntu or another Linux distribution successfully.

Best regards,
Karl
Linux Mint 19.2 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.22a 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)

sleeper12
Level 7
Level 7

Post by sleeper12 »

Can you give us a different site that doesn't work for you? I can't check Spectrum TV either, not registered there.

ken_innis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ken_innis »

I thought having every codec in use during this century and setting the browsers correctly, including things like allowing flashplayer and DRM would set the stage for being able to play everything from Charter / Spectrum but it must only be they don't allow browsers to function on their web site if they are running on Linux. This is a big mistake on their part because there are so many of us who are long time fans of and supporters of Linux. They don't support systems which are too old and that is reasonable but not allowing Linux even though it's extremely capable is a bad call on their part.
https://www.spectrum.net/support/intern ... d-charter/

benjimenez46
Level 1
Level 1

Post by benjimenez46 »

ken_innis wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:12 am
I had this same issue, and after doing some searching it seems that the problem is not with the Spectrum TV website it's with the Flash plugin. It seems that Adobe does not include the needed features to decode the video/audio in flash for linux. It only provides it for Windows , Chrome Books, and Android devices. Why they do this it probably a licensing issue. I'm sure there is money involved.

I've read of a couple work arounds. One is to get a copy of flash from a Chrome Book and install it on Linux. The other is to use Wine on linux to install a Windows version of flash and attach it to Firefox.

Hope this helps.

CruelSun
Level 1
Level 1

Post by CruelSun »

I have had problems in the past, and then again recently with streamed video from MSNBC.com being denied due to an out of date flash plugin. Updating the plugin thru Mint did not help, but when I downloaded an even newer version directly from Adobe, it worked fine.

Return to “Newbie Questions”