questions ? regarding first post to boards need help

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
newnewbe

questions ? regarding first post to boards need help

Post by newnewbe »

i posted a topic regarding my cd/dvd drive not working after installing linux mint tessa will not play any disk says unable to open dev/sro unable to mount etc... and got no reply. i was wondering if i posted in wrong section. i posted in hardware section but should i of posted in software section since it maybe a software problem or posted in the newbie section since im a newbie. i was just looking for some help if i posted in correct area or if i did somehing wrong i did read the newbie rules and info on posting and followed guidelines best as i could.i really love linux mint and dont want to have to do away with it due to cd drive not working any help i would be grateful thanks...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Re: questions ? regarding first post to boards need help

Post by rickNS »

Nothing wrong with where you put that post. And good job for a first post adding the inxi info.
Don't know why you haven't got a reply, maybe no one knows ? (doubtful)
Re, your other post did you try more than one disk ? I'm thinking maybe can't read that particular one.
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, newnewbe.
newnewbe wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:11 pmi posted a topic [...] and got no reply.
Hm. Well. Such things happen. Not your fault.

Sometimes new threads do not receive a first reply within a timely fashion and start dropping down in the list of unanswered posts. Cf. unanswered topics.
In such a case, you should wait for roughly 24 hours. Then you might bump your own topic to the top of the list once by replying to your own post.
Either you can add a relevant detail which you had not mentioned in your initial post, yet.
Or you simply write "Bump" in your reply.

In case bumping your topic this way does not result in any replies still, you might start asking yourself, whether you have presented your problem / question in such a way that your intended audience may have serious difficulties in understanding what your message really is.

Best regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
newnewbe

Post by newnewbe »

karlchen wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:11 pm Hello, newnewbe.
newnewbe wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:11 pmi posted a topic [...] and got no reply.
Hm. Well. Such things happen. Not your fault.

Sometimes new threads do not receive a first reply within a timely fashion and start dropping down in the list of unanswered posts. Cf. unanswered topics.
In such a case, you should wait for roughly 24 hours. Then you might bump your own topic to the top of the list once by replying to your own post.
Either you can add a relevant detail which you had not mentioned in your initial post, yet.
Or you simply write "Bump" in your reply.

In case bumping your topic this way does not result in any replies still, you might start asking yourself, whether you have presented your problem / question in such a way that your intended audience may have serious difficulties in understanding what your message really is.

Best regards,
Karl
thank you

Return to “Beginner Questions”