Thunderbird and Yahoo email--won't set up account

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vineyridge
Level 3
Level 3

Thunderbird and Yahoo email--won't set up account

Post by vineyridge »

So I got Mint installed and since I have been using T'bird on Windows 7, I thought I would be able to set up my current email accounts in the Mint new account window. My vivaldi.net email set up with no issues, but when I try to set up the Yahoo account, Yahoo refuses to recognize me. I had that problem when I was setting up my Windows 7 T'bird and had a Ubuntu account. All I had to do to correct it was copy my Ubuntu profile into Windows in a certain place and all was well.

So I went to try this in Mint, and I have one simple question: how the heck do I do it? When I pull the profile locations, there are two: one is:

Code: Select all

/home/ajh/.thunderbird/*******.default
and the other is

Code: Select all

/home/ajh/.cache/thunderbird/*******.default
. My Windows drive is now mounted, and I have found my profile there. The file system on the mounted drive is very different from the file system in Windows, so I am confused. In Windows, the profile is in two places:roaming and local--no cache; roaming also has a profile.ini document. The Linux version has a profile.ini in .Thunderbird as well as a profile file.

Talking this through, do I need to manually edit the Mint .ini after I replace the .default profile with the Windows one? Which one of the two Windows profile files do I copy--the local one or the roaming one? Do I copy it in both .cache.thunderbird and in .thunderbird?

Help, please.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kato181
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Thunderbird and Yahoo email--won't set up account

Post by kato181 »

Try this link for yahoo.I use thunderbird as my email and i have gmail account running on it also as well as my normal email account. I think for memory yahoo uses IMAP and not POP3.
http://pop2imap.com/yahoo_thunderbird.php
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Thunderbird and Yahoo email--won't set up account

Post by catweazel »

vineyridge wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:38 pm So I got Mint installed and since I have been using T'bird on Windows 7, I thought I would be able to set up my current email accounts in the Mint new account window. My vivaldi.net email set up with no issues, but when I try to set up the Yahoo account, Yahoo refuses to recognize me.
https://www.wikihow.com/Configure-Mozil ... ahoo!-Mail

The first link from go-ogle.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

Return to “Beginner Questions”