[Solved]Changed my keyboard layout, now I can't type my password anymore

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
fs0ciety
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved]Changed my keyboard layout, now I can't type my password anymore

Post by fs0ciety » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:45 pm

So I changed my keyboard layout to US International and now I can't type my password anymore so I can't unlock my PC. My password has a ^ in it and now after some googling I found out apparently you can't type that character with a US International layout. At least, I think that's the issue. Either that or I'm misremembering my password.

Anyway, I can't get into my PC and I dunno what to do. I could do a clean install but I was just getting shit set up and I'd rather not start over again. After more googling I found out I can change my password by holding shift during boot and entering Grub mode, except that doesn't work for me. I don't know how to enter Grub mode. Tried holding left shift, tried holding right shift, tried pressing them once, tried spamming them. Nothing works.

Anyone?
Last edited by fs0ciety on Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Changed my keyboard layout, now I can't type my password anymore

Post by karlchen » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:52 pm

Hello, fs0ciety.

I do not know why the <shift> key may not invoke the Grub menu on some systems. Yet, if my memory serves me right, then other users have achieved their goal of invoking the Grub menu by pressing <ESC> repeatedly.
On recent very fast machines, the phase where either <shift> or <ESC> can be pressed to invoke the Grub menu may be really very short.

Best regards,
Karl
Linux Mint 19.2 32-bit xfce Desktop, Total Commander 9.22a 32-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)

fs0ciety
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Changed my keyboard layout, now I can't type my password anymore

Post by fs0ciety » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:09 pm

Escape worked. First I pressed it rapidly right after turning on the computer, then I got a sort of boot menu where I could choose the boot device. Then I pressed Esc to close that menu and Esc again right away and that got me into Grub. Kind of odd. But hey, it works. Now back to googling how to change my password from here, should be pretty straightforward from what I saw.

Thank you.

Return to “Newbie Questions”