LO Writer doesn't return to last position in file

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
foberle
Level 1
Level 1

LO Writer doesn't return to last position in file

Post by foberle » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:00 am

I'm using Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon 4.0.10 with Kernel 4.15.0-46-generic, and LibreOffice Version: 6.0.7.3, Build ID: 1:6.0.7-0ubuntu0.18.04.2.

When I (re)open a file in any application except for LibreOffice, the cursor is positioned where I last left it. I've wandered through LO's "Tools|Options" settings but was unable to locate anything that looked like it might have an effect on this.

Does anyone know if there is something that might be causing this? I seem to recall that (quite some time ago) LibreOffice did return to the last position within the file.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Re: LO Writer doesn't return to last position in file

Post by kyphi » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:36 pm

If the document you are working on is restored to full size after being minimised, the cursor will be where you left it.
If the document is closed and re-opened, the cursor defaults to the first position on the document. The same behaviour applies to new documents. I have never known it to be otherwise.

You could ask on the LibreOffice Forum https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/community-support/
and post back here if you find out that the cursor position is adjustable or remembered.
Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon - 64bit

foberle
Level 1
Level 1

Post by foberle » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:30 am

Thanks for the response. I guess I must have been thinking of some other word processor; although I've used LibreOffice since it first forked from OpenOffice, I don't use it frequently enough to be sure.

erikjan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by erikjan » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:32 pm

When a document is closed and re-opened later, the cursor will be at the place where it was, when you left, if you fill in your name at Extra -> Options -> Userdata, or just a few characters. See screenshot:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RbzzhP ... sp=sharing

Greetings,

Erik Jan.

foberle
Level 1
Level 1

SOLVED Re: LO Writer doesn't return to last position in file

Post by foberle » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:04 pm

Thanks much. Now that you mention this, I seem to recall knowing that at one time or another in the past.

Return to “Newbie Questions”