Mint sees no internal hard drive

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Shiz
Level 1
Level 1

Mint sees no internal hard drive

Post by Shiz »

Hello all. New to Linux, installed Mint on a device for a friend the other day when I fixed her laptop - no problems.

Now trying on my own, and the installer shows ''You need at least 10.7 GB disk space to install Linux Mint. This computer has only 7.7 GB.'' - 7.7 GB is the size of my flash drive, there is 40 GB unallocated on an internal Toshiba SSD (not sure if sata or pcie, could find out)

I've booted the media with grub and syslinux, same problem with compatibility mode, same problem in cinnamon and Xfce(both 19.1), the check integrity of media option returns no errors, I used etcher to create the media in Windows where I also checked the sha256 checksum.

The driver management tool is only talking about nvidia drivers, nothing to do with hard drives.

Should I try an older version of mint? Any suggested solutions/reading would be much appreciated.
Larry78723
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Mint sees no internal hard drive

Post by Larry78723 »

Shiz, is that unallocated space in an extended partition? If so, that is probably why it isn't being seen. I believe any linux distribution will require a primary partition to install to.
vansloneker
Level 5
Level 5

Post by vansloneker »

Shiz,when you boot from the installer/live USB, can run either disks or gparted and check for the disk?
Unless stated otherwise Mint 18.3-64 XFCE
hcentaur13
Level 4
Level 4

Post by hcentaur13 »

Show us in a terminal
sudo fdisk -l

and
inxi -Fzzz
WSill you install
- automatic beside windows
- automatic alone
- manually py partitioning yourself?

There are 2 different, but incompatible together modes to boot up:
- classic, compatible to DOS; bootmanager in MBR
- UEFI, bootmanager in partition /efi

windows 10 installs itself in UEFI mode! That requires linux boots in UEFI too.
UEFI require partitiontable GPT!
Shiz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Shiz »

Larry78723 wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:05 pm
Shiz, is that unallocated space in an extended partition? If so, that is probably why it isn't being seen. I believe any linux distribution will require a primary partition to install to.
As far as I'm aware the free space on my internal ssd is not contained within any volume/ is unformatted. DiskMgmt.msc says it is unallocated - but I guess in theory it could be in a format windows can't read.

Gparted only identifies a 7.7 GB drive [/dev/sda | iso9660 | Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon 64bit | 7.21 | --- | --- | ]

fdisk sees nothing.
Screenshot from 2019-04-04 14-49-31.png
Running 'inxi -Fzzz' crashed terminal - mouse and trackpad stopped. Could still type/navigate with keys, but unable to get a return from anything in the crashed terminal window. Able to open new programs from menu - relaunching terminal from menu gives a working terminal however I'm unable to open system monitor to close the crashed terminal process.
hcentaur13 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:07 am
There are 2 different, but incompatible together modes to boot up:
- classic, compatible to DOS; bootmanager in MBR
- UEFI, bootmanager in partition /efi
I have the same problem when starting the system in and out of secure boot(UEFI)/Legacy Boot (BIOS).
hcentaur13 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:07 am
windows 10 installs itself in UEFI mode! That requires linux boots in UEFI too.
UEFI require partitiontable GPT!
So I should format my unallocated space? In what format?
AscLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by AscLinux »

fdisk will see only what kernel can access. If you have an NVMe device and kernel has no driver for it then it won't be seen and cannot be used. Will this device show up in lspci?
hcentaur13
Level 4
Level 4

Post by hcentaur13 »

Your internal drive is NOT connected correctly. That drive will own 2 connectors:
1 SATA for data transfer
2. power! When that power connector is not connected to either mainboard or power unit then the drive is disfunctional.

Return to “Newbie Questions”