[Solved] MATE or Cinnamon for "legacy" laptop

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
chaseabout
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved] MATE or Cinnamon for "legacy" laptop

Post by chaseabout » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:29 pm

Hey everyone,

I have a question about the different editions of Linux Mint and what might be recommended for my system's hardware. Just as a fair warning, I'm a complete newbie at this stuff.

I have a ASUS P53E laptop and the specs are below:

Intel Core i5-2430M (2.4 GHz) - 2 Cores / 4 Threads
Intel HD Graphics 3000
4GB RAM
500GB HDD

When I first came to the forums, I was thinking about live demoing and installing Cinnamon edition (I love the aesthetics from videos), but I am wondering if MATE would be a better choice hardware wise? I have searched the forums and noticed some members saying Cinnamon is recommended for "multi-core" systems and MATE for lightweight systems, but I don't know if my two cores count as a multi-core system?

My cautiousness has only come about because I never considered my system "old". I originally intended to upgrade this computer to Windows 10 before Windows 7 loses security support. However, I found out Intel considers Sandy Bridge (2nd Generation) processors and graphic cards "legacy" and it refuses to make the necessary Windows 10 drivers for my graphics card or CPU. This has had me thinking about how much my system can realistically perform with an OS with all the modern flairs and if I need to consider lightweight options.

Thank you all in advance. Your forum has been amazing so far and I am really excited to try out Linux Mint.
Last edited by chaseabout on Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Re: MATE or Cinnamon for "legacy" laptop

Post by jimallyn » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:43 pm

That computer should run either Cinnamon or MATE. Or XFCE.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

chaseabout
Level 1
Level 1

Re: MATE or Cinnamon for "legacy" laptop

Post by chaseabout » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:12 pm

Thank you for the fast response. I will try with Cinnamon first and see how it goes.

murray
Level 4
Level 4

Re: [Solved] MATE or Cinnamon for "legacy" laptop

Post by murray » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:24 pm

Just try the Live CD versions os each and see which runs best/you prefer.
Running Mint 19.1 Cinnamon on an Intel NUC8i5BEH with 16GB RAM and 500GB SSD

Dot_mdb
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Dot_mdb » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:10 pm

I've run Cinnamon on machines that have quite a bit less processing power than yours. People make too much of the desktop. I think it is mostly a matter of preference unless you get to very underpowered machines.

Bill

smurphos
Level 11
Level 11

Post by smurphos » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:54 am

I've got very similar hardware - same processor and integrated graphics, albeit it has a little more RAM and I've upgraded it to an SSD. It runs 64bit Cinnamon 19.1 just fine.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

Return to “Newbie Questions”