How to re-install NetworkManager without internet connection

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
spz444

How to re-install NetworkManager without internet connection

Post by spz444 »

Hello,

I uninstalled Network Manager to install WICD. But WICD is not working at all, doesn't even open, no system tray internet icon, nothing, and now I can't even reinstall Network Manager. So I have no internet connection as the ethernet one also failed. I probably unistalled something bad from the system.

I tried many things reading in forums but nothing works. I made today a fresh install of LM7 from a USB pen drive. I read that you can reinstall it from the CD so I thought I could find how to do it from the pendrive but I failed. I also downloaded the NetworkManager files from the web site but the compilation and installation failed. Also tried to get a .deb file but also failed. I also tried to recover the Network Manager files from the VAR archives but it is not there. I have tried lots of things going to Windows back and forth.

Can somebody help me? I don't even want Network Manager, I want WICD because I have lots of problems to make my Atheros AR5700EG work with NetManager. It can work as I got it before but now I am failing...

Please help. I am very new and understand little of this. Thanks.

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lagagnon

Re: How to re-install NetworkManager without internet connection

Post by lagagnon »

Maybe you could try getting your network back up without all the silly GUI stuff getting in the way ;-)
If this works you could then open package manager and get wicd or gnome-network-manager back.

So open a terminal and try this:

sudo ifconfig wlan0 up (or if you are using a wired network card: "sudo ifconfig eth0 up")
dhcpcd

then test to see whether the Internet is working, and if so reinstall whatever network GUI stuff you want.

PS: many people make the mistake with WICD of not realizing that you must, with the first launch, get the daemon running, and then with the second launch you should see the little applet in the botttom right of the taskbar and you can only then open it up.

Return to “Beginner Questions”