mint just shutdown

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
callmejoe
Level 3
Level 3

mint just shutdown

Post by callmejoe »

strange thing happened last night. i was browsing internet and suddenly a small dialog box pops up that says shutting down. i have no idea why. i dont think it's a hardware issue. i ran a memtest and passed. i looked through some logs and nothing jumped out at me, even though i cant make sense of much of it.

could the site i was visiting possibly send a shutdown signal? nah right.

what logs should i be looking at specifically for this kind of thing?

using mint 18.3
kernel 4.15.0-47
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: mint just shutdown

Post by deepakdeshp »

Power glitch?
Observe for similar behaviour.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
callmejoe
Level 3
Level 3

Post by callmejoe »

the dialog box is what's throwing me. like it was intentional.
missmoondog
Level 5
Level 5

Post by missmoondog »

maybe a dumb suggestion but are you on a laptop with a bad/weak battery? all 4 of my laptops have old batteries that say fully charged but only last 10 minutes, tops, and then computer shuts down instantly!
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Overheating can be another factor.

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz|grep -i temperature
command should give the temperature.
https://askubuntu.com/questions/906705/ ... expectedly
Good luck
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
callmejoe
Level 3
Level 3

Post by callmejoe »

missmoondog wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:22 am maybe a dumb suggestion but are you on a laptop with a bad/weak battery? all 4 of my laptops have old batteries that say fully charged but only last 10 minutes, tops, and then computer shuts down instantly!
nope. desktop pc
callmejoe
Level 3
Level 3

Post by callmejoe »

since nothing obvious i'll just have to keep my eye on temps and what not. probably will never happen again.

Return to “Beginner Questions”