Printing to default printer in Mint 19

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Printing to default printer in Mint 19

Post by Reorx »

I use the Cinnamon version of Linux Mint... In my previous version of Mint (17), when I click the print icon on the icon bar, the system would print the document I had open to the default printer... If I wanted to print to another printer, I would use the menu bar File > Print > choose a printer and print... In my current version of Mint (19), when I click the print icon, I get a print dialogue box! I then have to click "OK" to print the document. Is there a way to configure something so that clicking the print icon will automatically print to the default printer without the added extra step of getting a dialogue box and clicking OK???

Thanx Mint Community!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
kukamuumuka

Re: Printing to default printer in Mint 19

Post by kukamuumuka »

Via command line:
https://www.mattcutts.com/blog/change-d ... x-firefox/
To see current settings

Code: Select all

lpstat -t

To change settings via browser (CUPS)
http://localhost:631/admin
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

I thank you for your reply good sir... but perhaps you misunderstood (or maybe I did!)... I know which printer is selected as the default and that is the printer that I am trying to print to... I am able to do so without any problems EXCEPT that instead of printing the document when I click the print icon on the icon bar of LibreOffice Writer, I get a dialogue box that requires me to click OK to start the print job. I am hoping to find a way to circumvent the dialogue and click every time I want to print something to the default printer.

I know how to determine which printer is the default and I also know how to change the default printer if I want/need to...
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

Anybody?

Image Image Image
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

Going once... going twice... going 3 times... going last time for hope of getting assistance with this issue...

Image Image Image
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

I have never given it a second thought as to how many buttons need to be pressed to achieve a result, therefore the problem you have encountered intrigued me.
There is a possibility that newer versions of LibreOffice behave differently to earlier versions. I am using LibreOffice 6.2.2.2.

When I click on the "Print" icon in LO, I am offered a chance to specify a number of things such as printing in greyscale or colour, A4 or Landscape. Once I have made my selection then a final sanction is indicated by pressing on OK. That seems reasonable.

When I right click on the "Print" icon, I am offered, among other options, "Print directly" which does what it says.

If you right click on the "Print" icon you will see the option "Visible Buttons". Place a tick into the box next to "Print directly" and your wish will be fulfilled and you will have an extra icon on your menu bar. You can also deactivate any icons that you do not use.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

PERFECT!... that is EXACTLY what I was hoping for. The little lightning bolt printer icon does exactly what I wanted. I thank you good sir you have made my life better! :mrgreen:

Back story - I use LM19 Cinnamon on all my computers both at home and at work. At work, I create and print documents all day. The print dialogue box that pops up every time I click the regular print icon is slow to appear and adds nothing to my printing experience as I am almost always using the default printer with the default settings for my printing... Translation, the regular print icon is slower and annoying if you see it many times a day, every day... ESPECIALLY when my old version of LM (17) did it the way the lightning bolt icon in 19 does it... that translated into the more modern version slowed me down in my work flow... it was annoying. But NOT ANY MORE!

Kyphi - thanx again and have a great weekend!

- Reorx -

Image Image Image
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

Thank you for your good wishes and, yes, I am having a great weekend, Reorx.

Many times, reading the answers you provided to questions on this forum, I was able to increase my understanding of the Linux system.

This time it was my turn to return the favour :D
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

On the shoulders of giants we all stand... Cheers!

Thanx again! :mrgreen:

Image Image Image

Return to “Beginner Questions”