Installing Windows 7 after Linuxmint 19.1 Cinnamon

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
akka

Installing Windows 7 after Linuxmint 19.1 Cinnamon

Post by akka »

Hello, I am new to linuxmint. I have installed linuxmint 19.1 Cinnamon on my laptop, then I want to Install Windows 7. The Installation complete but the windows 7 does not boot properly and I can not see the option for booting to Linuxmint. What happen here? Please help me. This is what it looks like when I boot to Windows 7,
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Installing Windows 7 after Linuxmint 19.1 Cinnamon

Post by RIH »

If you want to dual boot Linux & Windows then you must always load Windows first - then Linux.
If you want to dual boot then you should repartition the disk so that you have a suitable partition for Windows & then install it.
Afterwards you can load Mint & the installer will walk you through the process of adding Mint to Windows...
akka

Post by akka »

Do I need reinstall the Windows 7 first or there is a way to just repair the windows without reinstall it and then install the linuxmint again in the same partition when I install the first linuxmint?
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by RIH »

I believe that you need to start again from scratch with a clean hard disk & then install Windows on it first..

If you have any data currently on the disk that you want to keep then should fire up the Mint Live DCV & save that data to a USB first.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
ralplpcr
Level 6
Level 6

Post by ralplpcr »

For what it's worth, I would recommend AGAINST installing Windows 7 as a dual-boot at this juncture. While it's certainly possible, and the advice listed is fine, Windows 7 goes end of support in January 2020. No security updates, antivirus support goes away, etc. All in all, if you plan on booting into Windows even semi-regularly, you'll be intentionally putting your data at risk.

As much as I dislike it, for dual-booting I'd recommend Windows 10. If you'd rather have Windows 7, I'd recommend looking into Virtual Box or VMWare player to create a virtual machine where you can fire up Windows 7. You won't have full hardware speed for games, but you will be able to run most Windows-only programs.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

Don't know how long it's been since you looked at it, but that tutorial has gotten stale. Was written for LM16.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

I'd go with Win 10 at this point too.

Also, as mentioned, you have to install WIndows first. The problem is that WIndows does not recognize the Linux file format used. If you try to install it on an existing Mint install it will think all of the drive is unallocated space and will then happily over write the whole disk. So back up your data, install WIndows, then reinstall Mint.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

If you install Windows after linux, you need to make at least one primary partition for Windows and do NOT let Windows to format that partition during an installation. Windows installation breaks linux's boot loader, so you need to repair linux's boot loader after Windows installation.

You can boot linux and Windows too using Super Grub 2 CD or USB, and when linux has booted up, re-install and update grub, so it can boot both of systems.

https://www.supergrubdisk.org/category/download/

Return to “Beginner Questions”