Waterfox keeps crashing on 19.1

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
hedgehoggy
Level 2
Level 2

Waterfox keeps crashing on 19.1

Post by hedgehoggy » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:14 pm

Maybe the Waterfox subreddit is a better place to ask this question, but anyway, here goes:
I recently updated from 18.1 to 19.1. When I used Waterfox on 18.1 I don't think it ever crashed once. Now on 19.1 it crashes multiple times a day to the point where my computer is frozen and I have to restart. I'm not asking WF to do that much; I usually have three pinned tabs and one or two or three regular tabs open. Again, on 18.1 not a problem. I'm assuming there's error logs, but I don't know where to look for them . . .
Lenovo ThinkPad X1C7
Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon 4.2.3 (64-bit)

Lord Boltar
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Waterfox keeps crashing on 19.1

Post by Lord Boltar » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:25 am

When Waterfox stops working, you can also try launching the browser in “Safe Mode” to see if an extension is the problem. You can start Waterfox in Safe mode by pressing the “Shift” key while it is starting, or you can click on the “menu button – > Question Mark -> Restart with Add-Ons Disabled, See if it still crashes if it does not crash then you know that one of the browser add-ons is causing the issue

hope this helps
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members

The only way for evil to prosper is for good men to do nothing

kevin987
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kevin987 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:23 pm

I had installed Google Translate for Firefox not too long ago. It started spiking my RAM and causing the Cinnamon desktop to freeze, except for the mouse.

You never know what some of these add ons will do.
Linux Mint 19.1 (Cinnamon)
LMDE 3 (Cinnamon)
GeckoLinux 150 (Cinnamon)

hedgehoggy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by hedgehoggy » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:00 pm

Hi Lord Boltar & kevin987,
I just tried disabling all my plugins, and Waterfox still promptly crashed after surfing through a few pages, and froze my whole system requiring a restart from the power button. I didn't think it was the plugins, but you're right, that's probably the first thing that should be checked. So now that that's been ruled out . . . ?
Lenovo ThinkPad X1C7
Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon 4.2.3 (64-bit)

kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:20 pm

Unless your upgrade from 18.1 to 19.1 was a clean install, it seems likely that a file corruption has occurred.

Rather than trying to find the fault it would be quicker to proceed as follows.

The Waterfox installation consists of 2 files "waterfox" and ".waterfox". The main waterfox will be wherever you have placed it after extraction. Since downloads go to the Downloads folder, it is likely that it was extracted there. The .waterfox file will be in your home directory.

After saving the .waterfox file in your home directory to a storage medium such as a USB stick - it contains all your bookmarks, I would delete Waterfox completely including the .waterfox file.

Then install a fresh version of Waterfox, delete the newly created .waterfox file in your home directory and restore the saved .waterfox file.
Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon - 64bit

Return to “Newbie Questions”