music from computer to iphone?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Howard_P
Level 4
Level 4

music from computer to iphone?

Post by Howard_P »

Hi- Is there away to copy music from my computer, linuxmint 19, to my iphone, preferably without using the cloud? Thanks- Howard
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
TI58C
Level 4
Level 4

Re: music from computer to iphone?

Post by TI58C »

You might take a look at "dukto" application.
http://www.msec.it/blog/?page_id=11
https://www.debugpoint.com/2015/07/tran ... tu-fedora/

Install on mint system and install app on iphone. works by using your local home network.

You can search this forum for dukto, several posts about this subject.

Robert
Linux is like my late labrador lady-dog: loyal and loving if you treat her lady-like, disbehaving princess if you don't.
Howard_P
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Howard_P »

Thank you. I will give it a try. -Howard

Can someone tell me how to get and install dukto? Software manager doesn't have it so I went to dukto page but found it confusing. I'd appreciate any help I can get. Thanks. -Howard
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

There's .deb files on sourceforge
https://sourceforge.net/projects/dukto/files/
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi Howard_P,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

There is "Feem" which their website does not seem to be working right now on my system. "Dukto" and "Nitroshare", etc...

Previous posts with good information:

Need working instructions on how to install software (specifically libimobiledevice) - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=283769&hilit=iphone

Get iphone 7 Plus Photos Into Cinnamon 18.1 [SOLVED] - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=239521&hilit=iphone

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

rickNS wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:21 pm There's .deb files on sourceforge
And the nice thing about .deb files is that you can download them, and double click them, and usually the package manager will pop up and offer to install them. Easy as can be.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
TI58C
Level 4
Level 4

Post by TI58C »

Well, maybe we take a lot for granted. Posted about dukto because jimallyn posted about it a few years ago. Since then my brother uses it and likes it.
Do not own any apple hardware, so only hearsay.
But, looking at all the possible ways to get dukto on my box, I can understand why anyone would be confused. Do not find files for Ubuntu 18.04 bionic, only debs for much older ubuntu versions. And do I need AMD64 or i386 ? Not totally obvious to me, although I'm not "totally stupid" .

Robert
Linux is like my late labrador lady-dog: loyal and loving if you treat her lady-like, disbehaving princess if you don't.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi TI58C,

Here are links to the newest Dukto v6 Linux installation deb files I could find, save the file and double-click it to install it. These should work on Linux Mint 18.x and 19.x.

64-bit Linux deb file (amd64)
https://download.opensuse.org/repositor ... _amd64.deb

32-bit Linux deb file (i386)
https://download.opensuse.org/repositor ... 1_i386.deb

Your welcome screen may show if your system is 64-bit or 32-bit, or you can run the command below

Code: Select all

lscpu
And, if it shows CPU 32-bit, 64-bit then it the computer is 64-bit, if it only shows 32-bit then the computer is only 32-bit.

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxzd
This tells us a lot of information which is why people ask for the results of this. A lot of people mistakenly install a 32-bit Linux Mint system when their computer is actually 64-bit. Under CPU flags if you see "lm" (LM) then your computer is 64-bit.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
TI58C
Level 4
Level 4

Post by TI58C »

@phd21,

Thanks. Was just tryig to look at the situation of topic-starter from his/her perspective. TS was confused.

Had found the 64-bit AMD library you mentioned. But can see why things might not be so obvious to TS

Why is it called AMD ? I use 64 bit INTEL, which means it is a successor to the i386 architecture isn't it ? does not AMD refer to another chipset altogether ?
How can one be certain a .deb that was meant for ubuntu 16.04 will be OK for mint 19.1 that is derived from 18.04 ? Just trial and error ?

Even within our logically structured linux-environment there are things that are not so logical....unless you are used to the terminology.

Robert
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi TI58C,

You are welcome...

Why is 64 bits called AMD64 and 32 bit as i386? - Quora
https://www.quora.com/Why-is-64-bits-ca ... it-as-i386
TI58C wrote:How can one be certain a .deb that was meant for ubuntu 16.04 will be OK for mint 19.1 that is derived from 18.04 ? Just trial and error ?
Yes, trial and error (try and see).

If it allows you to install it and runs the way it is supposed to, then it it is okay to use. Unfortunately with most software projects over time, developers come and go, stuff happens, and the software is not updated for all the newer versions of an operating system.

Dukto does not seem to be updated for Linux Mint 19.x which is based on Ubuntu 18.04 and I do not know if their are any developers and or maintainers maintaining it. But, it works very well and the version for Ubuntu 16.04 (Linux Mint 18.x) does work on Linux Mint 19.x. It does not help any that Linux comes out with new versions like every 6 months to a year with enough changes that are not backwards compatible or removing important software packages (libraries and dependencies) to make software development more difficult. Changing LTS (long term support) to five years is big step in the right direction as far as I am concerned.
TI58C
Level 4
Level 4

Post by TI58C »

@phd21,
Thanks, learned from your comments.

Hope that topic starter Howard_P will have learned too and has been successful with the dukto install...
Howard_P wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:23 pm Thank you. I will give it a try. -Howard

Can someone tell me how to get and install dukto? Software manager doesn't have it so I went to dukto page but found it confusing. I'd appreciate any help I can get. Thanks. -Howard
Did this help you howard_p ? I hope <EDIT> phd21 explained a bit more than just the simple code to install dukto. If you still have trouble with that, do not hesitate to say so.

What I would do to install dukto on my mint system:
- click this link: http://www.msec.it/blog/?page_id=11
- read text
- click below the penguin.
- click ubuntu
- click "Grab binary packages directly"

The files you want are in the left-most column (xubuntu 16.04) The latest version of dukto there is. Experts tell us it is ok.

IF 32 BIT SYSTEM:
- choose *i386.deb
IF 64 BIT SYSTEM:
- choose *amd64.deb
Then you'll see this:
dukto.png
dukto.png (25.01 KiB) Viewed 7912 times
You can choose Gdebi option to install file directly, or save it and doubleclick in file-manager (caja in my case) later.

As for iphone, I know dukto is in the aplle store. Both free and paid version. My brother has paid version. Works flawlessly. Do not know about possible limitations and/or adverts on free version.

Robert
Last edited by TI58C on Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi TI58C,

You are welcome...again...
TI58C
Level 4
Level 4

Post by TI58C »

@phd21

Thank you ...again.
Meant seriously, please do not read anything bad into it. Thanks. You helped me as I hoped you helped howard_p
I'm only useful for asking "stupid questions" that you guys answer in a way an inexperienced user can understand.

Robert

PS : I edited my post april 23 6.55 pm to read:
Did this help you howard_p ? I hope <EDIT> phd21 explained a bit more than just the simple code to install dukto. If you still have trouble with that, do not hesitate to say so.
Is that fair enough ? Credits where due ?
ganamant
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ganamant »

Provided that the iPhone takes µSD cards (I don't own one, but I suppose it does), what's wrong about copying files into the µSD and plugging it back into the iPhone? If that's only a matter of a few files, can't bluetooth be used? I presume that the most obvious approach, i.e. a USB cable, has already been tried to no avail.
guythp
Level 2
Level 2

Post by guythp »

A few years ago I found Rythmbox could copy and paste albums onto my ipod (and vice versa), I don't know if it still does or if it would work on the iphone, and bear in mind my posts are barely double-figures, but I thought I'd mention it.
Howard_P
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Howard_P »

Original poster here. I got duckto installed on my computer and on my iphone. If I try to move a file from one device to another I get, depending on the many variations I tried, either a message that says error code 0 or something about being unable to transfer. Additionally I can't figure out how to, for example, send a photo from my iphone to my computer. The browser gives me a list of incoming, read me, and media library. Read me works but I'm finding it inscrutable, incoming and media library are empty. I can't find the photos that I can see on the iphone with the Photos app. Thanks to everyone who has been trying to help, I really appreciate it.
therealrobojock
Level 1
Level 1

Post by therealrobojock »

I did not know about dukto when i had an iphone. The only working solution that i could find at the time was installing foobar for ios and transferring my music files via ftp through my wifi/home network to the phone and using foobar to play them. Advantage of using foobar then is that you could use formats that are NOT supported by apple music like opus for example and it can also read other songs already on your phone if you used itunes to transfer them to your phone previously :D

EDIT: After posting this i came across this link on reddit. So there seems to be some improvements with the app on ios. It seems you can now plug in your phone via usb and can transfer your music files that way.

Return to “Beginner Questions”