Virus???

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
chazb
Level 4
Level 4

Virus???

Post by chazb »

LM 18.3 Sylvia, Xfce.
First let me say that when I click file on my desktop to open/exicute it, one must first highlite it, and click open it. After closing it, it should not remain highlited, but it does. And I have to ckick some open space on the desk to un-highlite. I guess there is a desktop setting that I have over looked
I have always said nobody, but nobody writes malware for Linux, but I can from time to time be wrong. So this is what happened; I was on Facebook a coupla days ago, and suddenly the website started to bounce around on my screen and I was not able to maintain control. So I panicked closed the browser, in the process I had a highlited file on my desktop that was wiped clean of its contents. Does anybody have an idea as to what happened???

oldgranola
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Virus???

Post by oldgranola »

heh. Your browser can still certainly get hijacked. Still have to be smart about stuff. But no, doesn't sound like a virus. Linux does have some vulnerabilities mostly having to do with managing servers, web pages, email, database stuff. Your web browser can be compromised tho. But one wonderful thing about linux is that any outsider (or bad inside user) has to get elevated privileges to do much. Thats the attack target. So don't allow that by your choices.
comadore, pcDOS, hpux, solaris, vms-vax ....blah blah blah..
Yet I'm still a fn nooob

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Pierre »

most unlikely that it was any type of Virus,
- - but an Browser Hijack ? very probable. ..

if you do get a bad hijack, then you may have to reset & restore your web browser.
- - the same as any other operating system.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Helmut
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Helmut »

@ Pierre:
You wrote: "Reset and restore your webbrowser" that alone is worth a new thread.
I had something similar some months ago, my thunderbird address book compromised while being online with firefox...
1) Could you explain a bit more about "Reset and restore your webbrowser" ?
2) Are certain browser more suspectable, and how to prevent browser hijacking?
Last edited by Helmut on Tue May 07, 2019 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Pierre »

in Firefox - goto - - Restart with Add-ons Disabled will kill any extensions, that you've enabled.
- - which sometimes will work, if you have an Hijacking issue ..

then there is the - - Help - Troubleshooting Information - - Give Firefox an Tune-up:
- Refresh Firefox - - which will Disable any Add-ons & Reset Firefox back to it's Default(s).
- Restart with Add-ons Disabled - - which is that 1st Option - again.

both methods will work & I've used both of them on occasion.
but, sometimes, that hijack is so bad, and so embedded, that neither method will work out.
- - you have to both remove Firefox & it's own hidden directory - to remove an really bad hijack.
this is mainly on That Other Operating System - mostly. :(

YES - some Browsers are more suspectable or mostly because they are more popular ?.
you can prevent this stuff, to some degree, by being more cautious about which web sites, that you visit,
but, you can't really avoid everything .. .
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!

Helmut
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Helmut »

Thanks Pierre in lovely Perth WA,
I shall stick to your advice!

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr »

Helmut wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 6:56 am
@ Pierre:
You wrote: "Reset and restore your webbrowser" that alone is worth a new thread.
1) Could you explain a bit more about that?

Code: Select all

rm -v -R ~/.mozilla
Close Firefox and relaunch it.
Helmut wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 6:56 am
2) Are certain browser more suspectable, and how to prevent browser hijacking?
Keep your system updated, don't install shady extensions/add-ons, run Firefox within a sandbox like Firejail:
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... ndbox.html
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Pierre »

Yep - that's how you can remove that hidden directory on the Linux System,
and use an similar method - if you have to use That Other Operating System :roll:

Helmut
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Helmut »

Btw, Just found out that
code: rm -v -R ~/.mozilla
kills all the FF bookmarks, which were thankfully backed up externally.

I am using Claws instead of Thunderbird, but if I were using Thunderbird, would that code have killed all the emails and the address book too?

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr »

Helmut wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 7:34 am
I am using Claws instead of Thunderbird, but if I were using Thunderbird, would that code have killed all the emails and the address book too?
No, that should be in ~/.thunderbird.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Level 5
Level 5
Location: Surfing a multidimensional wave of celestial intent

Post by 1.618 »

I have files remain highlighted on my desktop after I have run/opened them, I don't think you have anything to worry about there.

The browser issue could have been a hijack, have a look at this thread for some ideas about linux security and hardening your browser. :)

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=210616

When I fresh install, before go online I configure firefox and make backups of /home/.mozilla and /firefox folders. That way if anything happens or I suspect something is going on, I simply delete the folders and replace from the back ups without having to re-install and reconfigure my browser.

Also clear your cache when you close firefox /home/.cache/mozilla - you can delete this folder and it wil get regenerated afresh next time you open Firefox.

Return to “Newbie Questions”