Install USB wifi dongle

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
pszkraba
Level 1
Level 1

Install USB wifi dongle

Post by pszkraba » Fri May 03, 2019 7:05 pm

I used to run Lubuntu and I bought a cheap wifi dongle from Ebay and it installed by itself and worked fine. I recently switched to Mint 19 and bought a dual band dongle from Amazon: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B078MM ... UTF8&psc=1
and plugged it in and nothing happened. Tried it with the old dongle and it too wouldn't install.

Is there something different about Mint that it won't find the drivers. They sent me a CD with the drivers but no instructions on on how to install them.

Tomgin5
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Install USB wifi dongle

Post by Tomgin5 » Fri May 03, 2019 10:30 pm

Try connecting to the enternet with the wired connection. Then search for the website for the manufacturer . They may have the driver, OR, in your "software manager" there may be a driver. OR, in your "software settings" do the "Driver Manager" It may find it and install it.

administrollaattori
Level 15
Level 15

Post by administrollaattori » Sat May 04, 2019 3:21 pm

New Kernels do not support old hardwares. Try with older Kernel.

jglen490
Level 5
Level 5

Post by jglen490 » Sat May 04, 2019 8:30 pm

Trying random USB wifi dongles without knowing what works is not a good idea. It could be the actual chip used in the dongle is not supported, but it may be. Looking at the Amazon ad, the description does not even mention Linux. That doesn't automatically exclude the dongle, but it's often a sign.

There ARE a lot of chips supported in Linux. There are also others that are not because the chip maker does not want to spend their time making a driver for Linux, or the chip may be so new that developers haven't been able to engineer a Linux driver. It's really important to do research first, for those reasons.

I have a very good wifi dongle with dual antennas that immediately was recognized when I plugged it in. It's a Panda Wireless PAU09 and the driver (rt2800usb) for the Ralink RT5572 chip is already included in the kernel. I also have a drawer full of dongles that worked at some point, or just barely worked, and a few that never worked. So I've been there, and learned to do my research first.

Now, with the dongle plugged in, enter the following into a terminal command line session

Code: Select all

inxi -n
and post the result in your reply using the CODE box button (shown as </>).
I feel more like I do than I did when I got here.
Toshiba A135-S2386, Intel T2080, ATI Radeon® Xpress 200M Chipset, 2GB RAM, 500GB

phd21
Level 18
Level 18

Post by phd21 » Sat May 04, 2019 9:14 pm

Hi pszkraba,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

What are the contents of the CD that came with this WiFi adapter and is there a Linux folder? If there is a Linux folder what are the contents of that and is there a "readme" or "install" file?

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" and "lsusb" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

There are dual-band WiFi adapters that are plug-n-play with Linux including those from Panda and some others. Other dual-band WiFi adapters that have Linux drivers would probably require installing the drivers which can be easy or not so easy.

Amazon.com: Panda N600 Dual Band (2.4GHz & 5.0GHz) 300Mbps Wireless N USB Adapter w/WPS Button - Windows XP/Vista/7/8/8.1/10/2008r2/2012r2, Mint, Ubuntu, openSUSE, Fedora, Centos, Zorin & Kali Linux:
https://www.amazon.com/Panda-2-4GHz-300 ... NH10743XWJ

Amazon.com: Panda Wireless PAU09 N600 Dual Band (2.4GHz and 5GHz) Wireless N USB Adapter W/Dual 5dBi Antennas - Windows XP/Vista/7/8/8.1/10, Mint, Ubuntu, openSUSE, Fedora, Centos, Kali Linux and Raspbian:
https://www.amazon.com/Panda-Wireless-P ... B01LY35HGO

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint KDE 18.3 & 19, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

Dot_mdb
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Dot_mdb » Sun May 05, 2019 1:35 am

This is the Panda that I am using.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

Very versatile gadget for the money. I've used it in Mint and MX and others and on many different machines. Also you can put it on the end of a 9' USB extension and position it for best reception. Worth every dollar it cost for Linux users.

Bill

administrollaattori
Level 15
Level 15

Post by administrollaattori » Sun May 05, 2019 3:15 am

Compatible System: Our usb wifi adapter supports Windows 10/8/7/Vista/XP/2000, Mac os X 10.4-10.11, Ubuntu Linux 2.4/2.6
I suppose that 2.4/2.6 means kernel versions.

Return to “Newbie Questions”