Help (grub rescue at bootup)

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
AngelicLight
Level 1
Level 1

Help (grub rescue at bootup)

Post by AngelicLight » Sat May 04, 2019 12:21 am

Okay, stupid me...

I wanted to take off the three (Linux Mint plus two other) distros and just go back to one, but I didn't do it right, apparently. ;-)

I had two drives (still do) and the first drive is a 250GB that had a single distro on it - it had Elemantary OS (an Ubuntu flavor) and then I put Linux mint on a second hard drive (didn't mean to - it just made it the only option to install "aside" Elemantary) and then I tried a third and all was Grub'd but it wasn't going to last as the trio because Netrunner kept crashing (I'm just trying to learn Linux best I can, but it seems Linux Mint is the only thing working for me at the moment).

I deleted the partitions for the two other ones, and the grub 1MB or so partition on the second drive, and tried to reinstall Linux Mint on the main drive, but now nothing comes up (it appeared to install) but a Grub Rescue prompt.

I did some reading, but none of the answers seem to address the "ls" that I seem to have.

(I've since tried to reinstall a second OS (Elementary) on the second drive (the first one was just the main 250 drive) and did the "install next to" option, but it's still coming up with grub rescue.

Here's what I get when I type LS -

(hd0) (hd0,gpt3) (hd0,gpt2) (hd0,gpt1) (hd1)

I'm clueless and I appear to have broken my entire computer, so please consider this a request for help for getting the savior of the world's computer online...or at least mine. ;-)

(And pardon the humor).

Thanks for any input,

- Paul

Dot_mdb
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Help (grub rescue at bootup)

Post by Dot_mdb » Sat May 04, 2019 2:11 am

I'm not a guru when it comes to this but I had a Grub boot problem today and I fixed it with something called Boot Repair Disk. You can do a search for where the program can be downloaded.

I am sure the real experts will be along shortly.

Bill

AngelicLight
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Help (grub rescue at bootup)

Post by AngelicLight » Sat May 04, 2019 2:18 am

Thanks, Bill.

Return to “Newbie Questions”