Support for Keyboard scroll wheel?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
ravenmad
Level 1
Level 1

Support for Keyboard scroll wheel?

Post by ravenmad »

Hi all, I have a Microsoft Wireless Elite keyboard (https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Wirele ... B0000AOWWY which has a hardware scroll wheel built in. The keyboard works as expected (including media keys etc) except for the scroll wheel. Does anyone know where I should start to try to get this working? I've looked at some other threads about keybindings etc but I couldn't find anything specifically for scroll wheels (closest I got was emulating mouse scroll using keys).

Thanks

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Support for Keyboard scroll wheel?

Post by catweazel »

ravenmad wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 10:13 pm
Does anyone know where I should start to try to get this working?
Keyboard functions are controlled by the X server. The first place to start is, in a terminal, man setxkbmap. Searching go-ogle for xkeyboard-config and the name of your keyboard may not turn up any immediate solutions, my searches didn't, but there are enough articles out there to point you in the right direction. You may find it's just a matter of creating and editing a minor section of /etc/xorg.conf, which doesn't exist by default. A search using xinput list and the name of your keyboard may also prove worthwhile. While searching, make sure you put quotes around required keywords, e.g."linux" "Microsoft" "wireless" "Elite keyboard" otherwise you'll end up with results for the rest of the remaining 4,294,967,295 keyboards on the market named "Elite".

See this for background and technical information regarding xkeyboard-config.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

ravenmad
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Support for Keyboard scroll wheel?

Post by ravenmad »

Thanks Catweazle! Plenty of reading to go on with from the looks of it (or, just buy a new keyboard! >.<) :lol:

Return to “Newbie Questions”