ethernet losing connection

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Level 1
Level 1

ethernet losing connection

Post by 85944 » Tue May 07, 2019 6:08 pm

Hi, I have had this linux mint installation for like 5 months now without any issues.
suddenly, without any changes that I can recall, my internet (Ethernet connection) randomly stops working. it doesn't say disconnected or anything like that, just internet pages stop loading etc.
the only solution is clicking on the network connections in bottom right corner and Disconnect and then Connect again, and it instantly works.

I have dualboot with windows and can spend a day in windows without any disconnects.
where can I look to find a possible cause for this in linux?

thanks

oldgranola
Level 4
Level 4

Re: ethernet losing connection

Post by oldgranola » Wed May 08, 2019 1:45 am

mmm. Given that its ok with Win10, my usual might not fix, which is to always reboot the modem/cable internet box (assuming home internet) and any routers in between when having connection issues followed by a hard system reboot or even two if having motherboard/card issues. But no harm in doing it anyway. Other things can be the linux kernel you are on vs hardware, configuration options for your internet connection etc. This is pretty common. So....

In order to get real help from anyone you'll need to provide some hardware info and operating system details.
To start, open a terminal and type

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
with a capital F. This will provide some basic hardware information.
To confirm the kernel (not that inxi shouldn't work) you can type

uname -r
Can later delve into the dmesg command which reads and returns the kernel buffer messages including many erros to look for specifics on whats failing.
comadore, pcDOS, hpux, solaris, vms-vax ....blah blah blah..
Yet I'm still a fn nooob

Level 1
Level 1

Re: ethernet losing connection

Post by 85944 » Wed May 08, 2019 9:36 am

oldgranola wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 1:45 am
mmm. Given that its ok with Win10, my usual might not fix, which is to always reboot the modem/cable internet box (assuming home internet) and any routers in between when having connection issues followed by a hard system reboot or even two if having motherboard/card issues. But no harm in doing it anyway. Other things can be the linux kernel you are on vs hardware, configuration options for your internet connection etc. This is pretty common. So....

In order to get real help from anyone you'll need to provide some hardware info and operating system details.
To start, open a terminal and type

inxi -Fxz
with a capital F. This will provide some basic hardware information.
To confirm the kernel (not that inxi shouldn't work) you can type

uname -r
Can later delve into the dmesg command which reads and returns the kernel buffer messages including many erros to look for specifics on whats failing.

Hi thank you for your reply,
something I forgot to mention in my main post, I only disconnect about once a day using Linux, never more than twice.

inxi -Fxz
https://pastebin.com/raw/jYxPKTvr
uname -r showed: 4.10.0-38-generic

I only have a modem box which I have tried restarting, but yes as mentioned it's not happening at all in windows, and I restart my computer daily :(
I also always do the updates in update center, only level 1 and 2.

thank you

Return to “Newbie Questions”