Still failing to successfully install Mint (19.1 this time)

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Minto2019
Level 1
Level 1

Still failing to successfully install Mint (19.1 this time)

Post by Minto2019 » Sun May 12, 2019 4:22 am

I managed to get to the installation stage of 19.1 using Rufus with a USB and needing to do so whilst in compatibility mode. I can't say that I managed to reboot to complete the process but I did have the distro on my SSD and could start that up and get up to stage where I entered my decryption password successfully. However, I just get a black screen for minutes and assume that something is not working.

When I went through the installation process, I opted to install 3rd party software and to encrypt the SSD and have the LVM enabled for the Flashback feature, or whatever it is called. Later on in the installation process, I opted to also encrypt my Home folder. I'm not sure whether doing that would affect running games, assuming I could successfully get 19.1 to run.

I had failed to even get to the installation stage when I used a magazine's DVD first (I'd always get a fragmented looking screen), and even the ISO on the USB. I had error messages for both saying things like:

parse/execution failed. AE not found
Namespace lookup failure. AE not found
Couldn't get UEFI db list

Running the integrity check for the USB, no errors were found.

This isn't the first time I've been unable to successfully install Mint. It's a really big pain. This time I tried installing the 64 bit version, the 32 bit version and the OEM version.

Should I give up trying now?

AndyMH
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Still failing to successfully install Mint (19.1 this time)

Post by AndyMH » Sun May 12, 2019 8:39 am

I would try again with a vanilla install, no LVM and no encryption.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

pbear
Level 6
Level 6

Post by pbear » Sun May 12, 2019 10:55 am

Agreed. The problem is you're being too clever by half. Figure out how the system works, then add or redo with the advanced stuff.

By the way, there's a significant performance hit for home folder encryption. Only makes sense if this will be a multi-user system.
Even then, probably would be better simply to exclude the other users from the sudo group without encrypting anyone's home.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
If your problem has been solved, please edit the thread title.

Minto2019
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Minto2019 » Fri May 17, 2019 6:59 am

Thanks for the suggestions. Will try them.

I replaced the DVD that I was using with a different one from the same magazine's issue, but still the same problem.

Will look at buying another magazine's current edition, which also has Mint 19.1 plus another distro which might be "interesting" to have. Will try using that other magazine's DVD to see if that works any better.

Some questions:

* Any idea why I get those error messages that I mentioned previously?

* Why can I only get to the live disc desktop using the USB ISO and not the DVD's ISO?

* With regards to the suggested installation process in the replies, why are these considered "advanced" options? Does encryption of anything on your drive mean that your gaming takes a hit when you play? I don't play PC games, so that's just a hypothetical issue.

* Why is Mint so hard to install for me? I've installed other distros, no problems. What is it about Mint which creates these issues? It doesn't seem very newcomer friendly.

pbear
Level 6
Level 6

Post by pbear » Fri May 17, 2019 12:43 pm

Your system, do what you like. But, no, Mint isn't difficult, except in cases of bleeding edge hardware not supported by the kernel.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
If your problem has been solved, please edit the thread title.

deepakdeshp
Level 14
Level 14

Post by deepakdeshp » Fri May 17, 2019 1:51 pm

You can download the ISO and verify it too, so that no need to go for another DVD.
Install process

https://linuxhint.com/install_linux_mint_19/
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
I am using Mint 19.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

gm10
Level 17
Level 17

Post by gm10 » Fri May 17, 2019 1:59 pm

Minto2019 wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 4:22 am
parse/execution failed. AE not found
Namespace lookup failure. AE not found
Couldn't get UEFI db list
Minto2019 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 6:59 am
* Why can I only get to the live disc desktop using the USB ISO and not the DVD's ISO?
Sounds like a broken UEFI. Find and flash the latest BIOS update for your system, it might start working after that already. Otherwise check your BIOS/UEFI settings, in particular the boot mode and the secure boot mode. Try disabling secure boot first and if that doesn't help then change the boot mode to legacy or CSM.

For anything more specific post your inxi -Fxz output as per the red Forum rules banner with the "hot to get help" link...

hcentaur13
Level 4
Level 4

Post by hcentaur13 » Sat May 18, 2019 3:43 am

There is no need to buy a magazine only to get mint.

If you run windows you can install rufus and use that to burn mint of an USB stick with the current mint on it.. You are on an internet page that allows you to download the current mint and write it onto a stick that will boot the installer that wuill install mint on your disk. The installer itself is bootable, so you can boot it either in compatibility (MSDOS) or UEFI-mode.

Hoser Rob
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Hoser Rob » Sat May 18, 2019 8:16 am

Minto2019 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 6:59 am
... Why is Mint so hard to install for me? I've installed other distros, no problems. What is it about Mint which creates these issues? It doesn't seem very newcomer friendly.
As mentioned, you're trying to outsmart the system before you've learned it. Do a plain install.

Moem
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Moem » Sat May 18, 2019 9:09 am

hcentaur13 wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 3:43 am
If you run windows you can install rufus and use that to burn mint of an USB stick with the current mint on it.
Have you read the first sentence of the posting you are responding to?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Minto2019
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Minto2019 » Mon May 27, 2019 3:34 am

gm10 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 1:59 pm

Sounds like a broken UEFI. Find and flash the latest BIOS update for your system, it might start working after that already. Otherwise check your BIOS/UEFI settings, in particular the boot mode and the secure boot mode. Try disabling secure boot first and if that doesn't help then change the boot mode to legacy or CSM.

For anything more specific post your inxi -Fxz output as per the red Forum rules banner with the "hot to get help" link...
I just checked now and see that I have the latest BIOS but I didn't look at the other stuff that you mentioned, although I think that in the past (years ago) I disabled secure boot in order to try and install Linux.

Anyway, I tried installing again, using another magazine's DVD and following the advice of the poster here who said not to be make the install too complicated. So, I had to use the compatibility mode again, for whatever reason. For my first attempt, I had ticked the option to install 3rd party software but chose not to encrypt or use the LVM, as well as choosing not to encrypt the home folder. No luck.

I went through the same process again, soon after, this time choosing not to install 3rd party software. Again, no luck.

Flipping the magazine's DVD, I tried the other distro, without going through with the install, and saw that I got no error messages on my screen, like I keep getting with the latest Mint.

It seems to me that I could successfully install a lot of other distros with no problems. It's just the Mint which is problematic.

If I can be bothered trying to install again, it would have to be on to a USB drive or on another computer, as it seems I'm wasting my time on the desktop that I'm using.

By the way, for my second attempt at an install, choosing the first option "Erase disk and install" (i.e. no encryption or LVM), I was confused at how to allocate disk space with the slider. I slid all the way to the left (just because) but I couldn't see how much space was allocated to that portion of the drive ("Tessa"). The partition on the right ("Linux Mint") had 994.6 GB of space allocation. The "Select drive" showed my SSD as having 998.1 GB space, so that would leave 4 GB for the "Tessa" allocation. What would have been the best way to allocate space on my drive, if I had been able to successfully install Mint?

gm10
Level 17
Level 17

Post by gm10 » Mon May 27, 2019 3:53 am

Minto2019 wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 3:34 am
By the way, for my second attempt at an install, choosing the first option "Erase disk and install" (i.e. no encryption or LVM), I was confused at how to allocate disk space with the slider. I slid all the way to the left (just because) but I couldn't see how much space was allocated to that portion of the drive ("Tessa"). The partition on the right ("Linux Mint") had 994.6 GB of space allocation. The "Select drive" showed my SSD as having 998.1 GB space, so that would leave 4 GB for the "Tessa" allocation. What would have been the best way to allocate space on my drive, if I had been able to successfully install Mint?
The slider only shows if you install "alongside" an existing operating system. "Erase" takes your entire drive. If you want to allocate more space in "alongside", obviously you slide it to the right...
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

cliffcoggin
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cliffcoggin » Mon May 27, 2019 4:42 am

Have you considered that the magazine software may be corrupt? For the price of a small USB memory stick you could download a copy of Mint directly at no cost, validate it at no cost, and know that you have a reliable source of software.
Cliff Coggin
Mint 18.3 Cinnamon

decrepit
Level 2
Level 2

Post by decrepit » Mon May 27, 2019 6:27 am

I gave up using magazine dvd's ages ago, so many of them had big problems.

Minto2019
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Minto2019 » Wed May 29, 2019 5:48 am

gm10 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 1:59 pm

I went into my PC's BIOS and could only see that:

Fast boot - Disabled
Storage boot option control - Legacy only
Other PCI device ROM priority - Legacy only

Couldn't find other information, if I haven't mentioned the ones that you had in mind.

As I said before, I have the latest version of mobo's BIOS.

The magazine DVD issue doesn't really come into it. I tried installing via a USB stick and the same issues arose (e.g. the same error messages when running the disc as well as only being able to get good graphics for an install when running in compatibility mode). Apparently some USBs don't play nice with Linux, which is another thing to consider, although I think I did get to the install stage using one such USB, SanDisk, which is apparently the 'wrong' sort of USB for Linux installs.

I might buy another mag (for a different distro though). I'm pretty sure that I will have no problem installing it onto my PC.

All this is a pity, as Mint apparently is supported by many companies' products/services I use in Windows.

gm10
Level 17
Level 17

Post by gm10 » Wed May 29, 2019 5:57 am

Minto2019 wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 5:48 am
I'm not exactly sure what they mean by that (is this USB storage or general boot mode?) but it sounds worth a try toggling this feature (to whatever the other options are).
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

cliffcoggin
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cliffcoggin » Wed May 29, 2019 7:52 am

Minto2019 wrote:

I might buy another mag (for a different distro though). I'm pretty sure that I will have no problem installing it onto my PC.
I don't understand your reason for doing so when you can get the guaranteed genuine software for no cost, but it's your money and your choice.
Cliff Coggin
Mint 18.3 Cinnamon

trytip
Level 10
Level 10

Post by trytip » Wed May 29, 2019 9:49 am

i got me a new computer with this UEFI crap and did not have ability to install linux. seems every bootable usb i made acted different. the UEFI features are not clear at all and still have no idea how i finally managed to install mint

i don't know where you are at this point, you need to be more clear as to what is going on. i ended up installing my linux on an ssd, the bootloader i chose to install on my 2TB storage drive (ntfs/ext4) but there is no boot directory on the bootloader drive so even i do not know this mystery

Minto2019
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Minto2019 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:57 am

gm10 wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 5:57 am
Minto2019 wrote:
I'm not exactly sure what they mean by that (is this USB storage or general boot mode?) but it sounds worth a try toggling this feature (to whatever the other options are).
The other options are: Disabled; UEFI Only; Legacy Only

I tried all 3 without success.

There was another line in the BIOS menu for "Other PCE Device ROM priority" which is set to "UEFI only". I don't think that that's been touched.

I think that these options are in the same page where you have "Boot option priorities", where mine is "Boot option #1" > "UEFI OS", which is my Windows 10 OS.

I've been trying to install on my other SSD, which was empty, but has since accumulated various failed attempts to smoothly run Linus OSs.

It turns out that the other distros that I tried to install after giving up on Mint 19.1 also showed error messages, so it's possible that my SSD may be an issue, which I'm not sure is the case, or maybe it's the kind of distros that I'm trying to install which is the problem.

The flipside of one of my magazine DVDs had Arch on it, which I could get to stage where you can input the commands to install it, which I didn't do...because it's Arch!

One reason that I don't think my SSD is the issue, is that I COULD install Mint 18.3 on it (but, iirc, not earlier versions of it). Here's a link to the thread where I say that here:

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=287723

I noticed the final reply to me in that thread, and that may be a factor in my problems, although it doesn't explain why my DVD ISO's also fail.

From one of my failed attempts at installing last night, were error messages like:

Couldn't get UEFI db list; Namespace lookup failure; Parse execution failed.

Even though I don't plan on doing this anytime soon, my proposed solution to my particular issues is...

SOLUTION:

Forget about installing Linux on my SSD and try again with an external drive.

At the moment, I'm just over trying to install Linux. Might have to buy a large capacity external drive and try again sometime...when I can be bothered.
Last edited by Minto2019 on Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Minto2019
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Minto2019 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:05 am

trytip wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 9:49 am
i got me a new computer with this UEFI crap and did not have ability to install linux. seems every bootable usb i made acted different. the UEFI features are not clear at all and still have no idea how i finally managed to install mint

i don't know where you are at this point, you need to be more clear as to what is going on. i ended up installing my linux on an ssd, the bootloader i chose to install on my 2TB storage drive (ntfs/ext4) but there is no boot directory on the bootloader drive so even i do not know this mystery
In an earlier thread of mine, someone mentioned that it might be best to use USB2.0 storage devices. Are you using USB3.0?

That's this thread of mine:

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=287723

The solution to my problem might be opposite to what I think you are saying, i.e. I should try installing onto a detachable USB device, which may or may not be SSD. Can't say when I'll do that though.

One other issue that comes to mind may be that some Linux distros just place nicer with people's computers. Mint has been problematic for me, for some reason. I had been running Manjaro just fine on my 2nd SSD but one time after I updated it, it just bricked my drive, so that's why I'm trying other distros now, like coming back to Mint, to see if things have improved. They haven't

Return to “Newbie Questions”