[solved, sort of, crickets here] Networking in 'Live USB' 19.1 session

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
oldgranola
Level 4
Level 4

[solved, sort of, crickets here] Networking in 'Live USB' 19.1 session

Post by oldgranola » Sun May 12, 2019 12:07 pm

Hello. I'm using a live usb LM 19.1 session to recover data off of an HD that has a damaged boot sector (may try to repair but data first). I would like to dump to a work network share as USB transfer of so much data is going wayyyy to slow. In nemo I've used the file>connect to server> and set to windows share. That uses smb:\\ correct? In the server field I'm using the server IP. In the share I added the name of the share that I use in windows to map a drive. In the domain I use the domain I log into and fill out the user name and password. I keep getting 'failed to connect' and 'file exists'. Now I know I could have something wrong in there but before going to our all unknowing IT do I need to configure or update SAMBA in some way? Is samba in the most recent ISO for 19.1 (DL'd two days ago friday) fully functional? I do have internet working, ethernet is definitely working quite well.

I guess something else I could do Is to create a share on the devices HD and pull data from another computer... but would I need to do anything with updating samba for that as well? I'm not at work right now so can't pull any more info. Was used to control some lab instrumentation

BTW, I tried to post this topic in the networking sub but there was no 'post new topic' option there.
Last edited by oldgranola on Mon May 13, 2019 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
comadore, pcDOS, hpux, solaris, vms-vax ....blah blah blah..
Yet I'm still a fn nooob

oldgranola
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Networking in 'Live USB' 19.1 session

Post by oldgranola » Mon May 13, 2019 1:46 am

All I need t know is, if I need windows networking aka samba from a live usb lm 19.1 do I need to install anything?
Yet I'm still a fn nooob

lsemmens
Level 9
Level 9

Post by lsemmens » Mon May 13, 2019 5:02 am

I'm no expert so please take it that I might be wrong.
Are your shared folders from the target visible in nemo? You should not need samba on your source system unless you want to share them.

If they are visible you should just be able to open them and copy as per normal.

Of course all this assumes that you have access to your home network. Can you access the Internet from that live session?
Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 bits
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop HP-ProBook-470-G2 8Gb RAM SSD
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

oldgranola
Level 4
Level 4

Post by oldgranola » Mon May 13, 2019 10:39 am

Thanks. But no they are not visible in Nemo. They are not visible to brows via any other OS tools either. As a fairly typical network setup, one has to to log into that windows domain and connect to servers to see them. In Windows one maps a drive and connects after log-in to the domain. On a mac, one uses the 'go' menu and mounts the network drive after logging in to the domain. In ubuntu and linux mint, samba is used to provide the proper protocols for windows networks. The question is, in a live-usb session, what do i need to do in order to get smba working?
Yet I'm still a fn nooob

oldgranola
Level 4
Level 4

Post by oldgranola » Mon May 13, 2019 11:24 pm

So it turns out that I did need samba installed. Its not in the LM19.1 iso. I tried, however, I was not able to install it in a live usb lm19.1 session. Guess thats how it is. would be nice if that info was here but not. I was able to borrow a usb 2TB drive and set an over night data backup of 300gb. I gave in. . Then, being its a cheap piece of crap that doesn't have to be in the equipment database, I'm just going to steal the little lenovo POS and install LM and see if it can be made use of. case closed. Thanks for all the help...Not except for one, this hasn't been a very useful venue for me lately. Get way more help over on ubuntuforums and even the arch sites which is how I've been getting my best info. Seems this forum is good for how to make lm pretty etc. Not so much if i need to actually make things work in the real (digital) world.
Last edited by oldgranola on Mon May 13, 2019 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yet I'm still a fn nooob

lsemmens
Level 9
Level 9

Re: [solved, sort of, crickets here] Networking in 'Live USB' 19.1 session

Post by lsemmens » Mon May 13, 2019 11:35 pm

Sorry that I couldn't be of more help. I'm surprised that no-one else popped in. Your experience is way different to my own.
Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 bits
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop HP-ProBook-470-G2 8Gb RAM SSD
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

oldgranola
Level 4
Level 4

Re: [solved, sort of, crickets here] Networking in 'Live USB' 19.1 session

Post by oldgranola » Mon May 13, 2019 11:43 pm

lsemmens wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 11:35 pm
Sorry that I couldn't be of more help. I'm surprised that no-one else popped in. Your experience is way different to my own.
Thanks man! I do appreciate you. Frankly, Its been more and more. But maybe thats because I'm getting beyond just dinking around in lm gui land and actually want to do real work with it. Also I worry given the blog that perhaps those that used to make this place work have moved on.
Yet I'm still a fn nooob

Return to “Newbie Questions”