How can I make scroll bars thicker and easier to see?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
PacificaBren
Level 1
Level 1

How can I make scroll bars thicker and easier to see?

Post by PacificaBren » Tue May 14, 2019 5:13 pm

Hello,

I just put the latest version of Linux Mint Cinnamon (19. something, I believe) on a Dell Inspiron 15-3552 for a lady who's not at all computer savvy.

I've noticed the default size and visibility for scroll bars --both in the GUI's windows and in Firefox and Chromium browser windows-- is that the bars are very thin, and hard to see.

Is there anything I can do to make theose bars a bit thicker, and easier to see and grab, for an older lady who's not into computers?

Thank you so much!

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Re: How can I make scroll bars thicker and easier to see?

Post by phd21 » Tue May 14, 2019 9:19 pm

HI PacificaBren,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum!

A.) An excellent Chrome and Chromium based browsers add-on for scrollbars is "rescroller".

Rescroller - Chrome Web Store
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... ijod?hl=en

B.) Firefox had a wonderful scrollbar add-on, NewScrollbars (aka NoiaScrollbars), but when they updated to the newer versions WebExtensions and obsoleted all older add-ons that add-on no longer works. I do not know if Firefox has another scrollbar add-on, but there are other options for Firefox users, read links below. I am not positive, but I think that certain FF themes will now provide color and scrollbar thickness options.

(SOLVED) scroll bar slider question - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=206&t=279268&hilit=firefox+scrollbar

Firefox 57 Quantum -- add-ons - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=257720&hilit=firefox+scrollbar

GitHub - Aris-t2/CustomJSforFx: custom scripts
https://github.com/Aris-t2/CustomJSforFx

Aris-t2/CustomCSSforFx: Custom CSS tweaks for Firefox Quantum
https://github.com/Aris-t2/CustomCSSforFx

Custom minimalistinc & slim scrollbar for dark themes on Firefox (userChrome.css) : firefox
https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/commen ... _for_dark/

Izheil/Quantum-Nox-Firefox-Dark-Full-Theme: These usercontent and userchrome files will give a full themed dark color to Firefox Quantum, menus and dialogs included, as well as the scrollbars. It will also enable multirow/multiple rows tabs.
https://github.com/Izheil/Quantum-Nox-F ... Full-Theme

[Firefox 64+] Basic 'scrollbar appearance' properties setable via userChrome.css/userContent.css · Issue #160 · Aris-t2/CustomCSSforFx
https://github.com/Aris-t2/CustomCSSforFx/issues/160

C.) There are posts in this forum on adjusting Cinnamon's scrollbars and other options. Search for "scrollbar".

[SOLVED] How can I customize the scroll bar color? - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=206&t=237075&hilit=firefox+scrollbar

(SOLVED) scroll bar slider question - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=206&t=279268&hilit=firefox+scrollbar

Hope this helps ...
"rescroller" for Chrome and Chromium based browsers
"rescroller" for Chrome and Chromium based browsers
Last edited by phd21 on Wed May 15, 2019 4:22 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Phd21: Mint KDE 18.3 & 19, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

smurphos
Level 13
Level 13

Post by smurphos » Wed May 15, 2019 12:28 am

Hi,

1) Open the Effects settings module from the Menu and toggle Overlay Scroll bars off. This will result in scrollbars always being shown in apps and not fading in and out of view when you hover the mouse over them.

2) Create a text file in ~/.config/gtk-3.0 called gtk.css with the content below. You can amend the 1em value to suit your preferences e.g 1.2em will be a further 20% bigger, 0.8em 20% smaller. This is a hidden folder in your home folder - press Ctrl-H in the file manage to show hidden folders.
You'll need to log out and back in for the change to take effect but it should result in thicker scrollbars in the vast majority of apps - there will be a few exceptions (notably GIMP).

Code: Select all

scrollbar.vertical slider,
scrollbar.slider.vertical
{
    min-width: 1em;
}
scrollbar.horizontal slider,
scrollbar.slider.horizontal
{
    min-height: 1em;
}
3) If the scrollbars in the menu or in panel item right click menus are too thin for you please confirm which Cinnamon Desktop theme you are using. Open the Themes module and check the name of the theme theme listed as active for 'Desktop'. Changes to these scrollbars need to be done by editting the the theme's file directly which I can talk you through once we know which theme.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

PacificaBren
Level 1
Level 1

Post by PacificaBren » Wed May 15, 2019 4:38 am

Many thanks to both of you! I'm very inexperienced with Linux, and this is amazing.

It's great you can fine-tune this stuff using terminal commands, and great somebody knows how to do it!

I've been a Mac user since 1991, but I must confess this Linux Mint stuff is so simple and elegant, when it's not making me crazy.

Shiratori
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Shiratori » Wed May 15, 2019 8:50 am

See? Told you they were nice here. :)

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 » Wed May 15, 2019 10:19 am

Hi PacificaBren,

You are welcome from all of us that replied...
Phd21: Mint KDE 18.3 & 19, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

pbear
Level 8
Level 8

Post by pbear » Wed May 15, 2019 12:51 pm

PacificaBren wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 4:38 am
It's great you can fine-tune this stuff using terminal commands, and great somebody knows how to do it!
A convenient thing about the method Smurphos describes is that the gtk.css file can be copied to any Mint installation, i.e., it doesn't have be created from scratch each time. Moreover, if your "client" would like scroll arrows, those can be activated with the gtk.css file also (how well they work, though, depends on the theme being used). Let us know if you're interested.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
If your problem has been solved, please edit the thread title.

PacificaBren
Level 1
Level 1

Post by PacificaBren » Wed May 15, 2019 1:15 pm

Shiratori wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 8:50 am
See? Told you they were nice here. :)
OMG, hi!!!!!!

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 » Wed May 15, 2019 5:03 pm

Hi PacificaBren, and everyone else,

Good replies on changing the system-wide Cinnamon scrollbars.

But, I don't think the various browsers inherit those changes for scrollbars.

I read that Firefox (FF) from version 63 and newer have built-in scrollbar color and thickness - width options, but I cannot seem to find a place to set them? Does anyone know how to do that?

In the "about:config" preferences search for scrollbar and enable the color and width options, but where do you set the actual colors and scrollbar width? I created a "userContent.css" text file per instructions in the links below, but that does not seem to be working for me - yet?

userContent.css

:root{
  scrollbar-face-color: darkred;
  scrollbar-track-color: yellow;
  scrollbar-width: 16px;
}
[PSA] You can change scrollbar properties directly via userContent.css : FirefoxCSS
https://www.reddit.com/r/FirefoxCSS/com ... _directly/

[Firefox 64+] Basic 'scrollbar appearance' properties setable via userChrome.css/userContent.css · Issue #160 · Aris-t2/CustomCSSforFx
https://github.com/Aris-t2/CustomCSSforFx/issues/160

also, with FF closed users have to delete the FF cache folder after changes for them to work. This folder will be different for everyone.

This is my FireFox profile startupCache folder. * Clearing the cache in FF preferences may also work.

/home/user69/.cache/mozilla/firefox/ybh19h7f.default/startupCache/
Last edited by phd21 on Wed May 15, 2019 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 » Wed May 15, 2019 5:24 pm

Hi PacificaBren, and everyone else,

Update: Okay, I am using Firefox (FF) 67 and this worked. Apparently, they changed the command syntax.

Enable the new Firefox preferences for scrollbar color and width in the "about:config".

Create a new text file called "userContent.css" and copy the code below and paste it into that text file, change the colors to those you want and the width to what you want (larger number is wider), save the text file and copy "userContent.css" into your Firefox profile's chrome folder. I created a "chrome" folder underneath the profile's default folder and copied the "userContent.css" file into that. Close Firefox, Clear your Firefox Cache, restart Firefox and it works.

:root{
  scrollbar-color: royalblue gold;
  scrollbar-width: 16px;
}
Hope this helps ...
Firefox 67 - "about:config" search for scrollbar and enable color and width options.
Firefox 67 - "about:config" search for scrollbar and enable color and width options.
Firefox 67 with custom scrollbar color and width
Firefox 67 with custom scrollbar color and width
Last edited by phd21 on Wed May 15, 2019 6:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.

pbear
Level 8
Level 8

Post by pbear » Wed May 15, 2019 5:48 pm

phd21 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 5:03 pm
But, I don't think the various browsers inherit those changes for scrollbars.
What worked for me, per advice from gm10, was switching to a "Y" theme.

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 » Wed May 15, 2019 6:08 pm

Hi pbear,

That's cool. You can change the theme to a "y" theme and add that file for Cinnamon's scrollbars and Firefox and other browsers will use that? What about the file manager does that also use the Cinnamon's scrollbars modification?

I happen to be in Linux KDE Neon at the moment which uses a different method for changing system-wide scrollbars, and none of the browsers inherited that regardless of themes.

The method I explained for the newer Firefox browser would work regardless of the installed theme, the user could use any theme.

pbear
Level 8
Level 8

Post by pbear » Wed May 15, 2019 6:18 pm

Of course, there are many paths through the forest. By the way, I assumed it was clear but perhaps not. What I did was switch themes together with creating a gtk.css file as Smurphos described earlier (plus a section enabling scroll arrows). I've little experience with KDE (have in a test box for kicks), so no idea how well this translates. Seems to work fine in the other three desktops, though. Also, I'm actually more interested in scroll arrows for word processing. Would you mind taking a moment to see whether your method works there also. If not, don't worry about fixing it. Just curious.

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 » Wed May 15, 2019 6:22 pm

Hi pbear,

That is a good post on scrollbars - Sliders

Insane sliders in LM 18.3 and LM 19.1 - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=284390#p1572188

When I boot into Cinnamon 19, I will check out those options, thanks for the link.

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 » Wed May 15, 2019 7:20 pm

Hi pbear,

I just re-read your reply and noticed this...
pbear wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 6:18 pm
Also, I'm actually more interested in scroll arrows for word processing. Would you mind taking a moment to see whether your method works there also. If not, don't worry about fixing it. Just curious.
I am not sure what you are asking? The method I described for Firefox was not from me but from those links I referenced. I just paraphrased the instructions for anyone else that might be interested in that method for changing Firefox scrollbars.

If you are asking me whether the changes in the "Insane sliders" link would affect apps in my KDE systems, I would have to try them and get back to you.

If you are referring on how to change system-wide scrollbars in various Linux KDE systems which do affect most applications except some browsers, meaning most apps do inherit the changes like LibreOffice Writer, then let me know and I'll explain how to do that for any interested KDE users.

pbear
Level 8
Level 8

Post by pbear » Wed May 15, 2019 9:04 pm

Thanks, that answers my question.

Return to “Newbie Questions”