Mint on HP DV6-6C50SE

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Svchost

Mint on HP DV6-6C50SE

Post by Svchost »

Hello Every one

I am planning to shift from Windows to Mint on my Laptop HP DV6-6C50SE, to get the most from this Linux Distro off course.
This is my laptop specifications, I would like to know if this Distro will work fine on my laptop with all the required hardware configurations or not.

Thank You!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Mint on HP DV6-6C50SE

Post by Pjotr »

Test it yourself, by booting from the Mint DVD (or the Mint USB stick).
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

As mentioned it's best to juist DL the live CD iso and test that by booting it from a USB stick ... optical drives are too slow for getting a feel for things. Those sort of spec lists are always "subject to hcange without notice" which is why it's best to check yourself via a llive boot.

However, if the GPU is an AMD 7000 series as the link says, it should work fine but I wouldn't expect a gaming monster. I's dl both the Mate and Xfce editions of Mint because Cinnamon isn't going to run as well on a 2011 vintage GPU. Cinnamon has similar hardware requirements to Windows 10.

Don't assume you can improve the performance of old AMD cards with some magic driver, there's only one Linux driver for old AMD gpus and it's installed by default. There's no other Linux driver for it.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Svchost

Post by Svchost »

Hoser Rob wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 11:15 am As mentioned it's best to juist DL the live CD iso and test that by booting it from a USB stick ... optical drives are too slow for getting a feel for things. Those sort of spec lists are always "subject to hcange without notice" which is why it's best to check yourself via a llive boot.

However, if the GPU is an AMD 7000 series as the link says, it should work fine but I wouldn't expect a gaming monster. I's dl both the Mate and Xfce editions of Mint because Cinnamon isn't going to run as well on a 2011 vintage GPU. Cinnamon has similar hardware requirements to Windows 10.

Don't assume you can improve the performance of old AMD cards with some magic driver, there's only one Linux driver for old AMD gpus and it's installed by default. There's no other Linux driver for it.
Thanks for the detailed answer. Actually I am not interested in gaming stuff and I have tested Cinnamon and it worked just fine, the hardware is fully functional and going just great. However, I highly need to use microsoft office applications, I tried installing it through the wine package but no luck, just errors and nothing installed at last.

Your help is greatly appreciated.
Mark Phelps
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mark Phelps »

Needing to continue to use MS Office is a key reason NOT to switch to Linux!

Of the MS Office versions, last one I read that worked well in Wine was 2010. I've read that some folks have been able to get 2013 working -- but that involved a lot of patching, and since I don't use MS Office in Linux, I don't have any links.

I've also read that Office 2016 , 2019, and 365 all do NOT work in Wine.

Additionally, even with the Office versions that do work, some components, like Access, and Project, and Outlook, still do NOT work.

So basically, it's unlikely that you're going to be able to continue to use MS Office in Linux.
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

Svchost wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 12:10 pm
Thanks for the detailed answer. Actually I am not interested in gaming stuff and I have tested Cinnamon and it worked just fine, the hardware is fully functional and going just great. However, I highly need to use microsoft office applications, I tried installing it through the wine package but no luck, just errors and nothing installed at last.

Have you tried Libreoffice as an alternative to MS Office? When I converted to Linux I copied all my hundreds of Excel and Word files into Libreoffice and saved then as Calc and Writer files. The only things that did not work were the macros which I had to record anew.
Cliff Coggin
Svchost

Post by Svchost »

cliffcoggin wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 1:17 pm
Svchost wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 12:10 pm

Have you tried Libreoffice as an alternative to MS Office? When I converted to Linux I copied all my hundreds of Excel and Word files into Libreoffice and saved then as Calc and Writer files. The only things that did not work were the macros which I had to record anew.
Already tried it, my documents have a predefined styles and formats which actually not working in Libre Office. I managed to install Microsoft Office 2010 but the format is not okay. I am going to install Virtual Box with windows 7 and then install Microsoft Office 2013 and I will see how thing going. Hopefully things went smooth because I like this Linux Distro and I think it's better than Windows thousands of time.

Return to “Beginner Questions”