login needs forgotten password, encrypted drive w/external encrypted drive

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
mintage
Level 2
Level 2

login needs forgotten password, encrypted drive w/external encrypted drive

Post by mintage » Sat May 18, 2019 12:41 pm

Looked around. This is THE bleak situation it seems. If your suggestion is to wipe everything and start over, I don't need help losing data. I would like to recover the external drive using the original unchanged password (I know) on another device I CAN access, and just brute force everything else until it opens.

I encrypted everything on my MBM2-Pro, and USB-3 WD MyPassport 1TB external drive. After a "friend" stayed over a while, my devices started acting funny (dual login required for certian sites and device login, dropping internet connection for no apparent reason) so I had the bright idea to change the passwords and see what happened.

Well, I forgot the password. That's what happened.

As I understand it, root login can be changed and restored, but the encrypted home and external drive partitions remain locked. Can the partitions then be retrieved if I remember the password later? What is immediately lost if I change the password to login?

If i understand correctly, the password on the external drive is not changed so I just need to know how to access it. Is it correct that I can simply plug the external drive into a logged in device and use the unchanged password to mount that drive? Original OS is Tara 19.0 (encrypted), trying to access external drive with Serena 18.3 (no encrytion).

I have a bit of free time this month so I was hoping to bash away at this and get it fixed. I thank you for a starting point or any help you have to offer. Going forward, password changes will be made more incrementally, instead of many at once.
I made lasagna after this post.

Mute Ant
Level 14
Level 14

Re: login needs forgotten password, encrypted drive w/external encrypted drive

Post by Mute Ant » Sat May 18, 2019 1:34 pm

• Changing a password just changes the password, the encrypted data doesn't change and it can be duplicated as an encrypted partition (recommended).
  • If it's a LUKS container, the Master Key that actually does the scrambling is unlocked by one of the Passphrases for that LUKS. No Passphrase, no data.
  • LUKS is unbreakable by any human standard. Brute force attacks are trying to find the Passphrase, not the Master Key.
  • Where is your Plaintext Offline Backup?
Last edited by Moem on Sat May 18, 2019 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Lists look nice!
While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named "manual".

Return to “Newbie Questions”