Login jingle

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
bally1001
Level 1
Level 1

Login jingle

Post by bally1001 » Sun May 19, 2019 9:54 am

Hi,
I thought I was being clever by changing the login jingle to my preference......I converted a WAV file into an OGA file (using a Windows device) naming it login.oga, and, using the root level authorisation accessed the Mint systems folder (usr/share/mint-artwork/sounds) containing the default file (login.oga). I simply pasted my version and, of course I was prompted to replace the default version......Well, it was installed OK, but fails to play start up/restart.....Have I cut some kind of link or something?? Or maybe, because it is a comparatively large file, it exceeds a set parameter??

trytip
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Login jingle

Post by trytip » Sun May 19, 2019 11:19 am

cinnamon menu > settings > sound > sounds
test your sounds if they work and choose a temp file for login then restore the old one from a timeshift snapshot. you don't need to restore just open your timeshift folder and navigate to where the sounds are to replace it on your system

bally1001
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Login jingle

Post by bally1001 » Sun May 19, 2019 12:11 pm

Thanks for your reply, although I had already restored the default file .......My query really was whether or not I was attempting to do something that couldn't be done....or, if it could be changed, how to do it.

Return to “Newbie Questions”