Winetricks not working

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Hypnotizing

Winetricks not working

Post by Hypnotizing »

Hi everyone
I've been trying to get Hearthstone to work, so after installing wine and tinkering for a while i end up using wine tricks, following a tutorial i came around this part:

Now, you will be using 32bit WINE libraries and software versions, so you should prepare all your future runs from terminal for it:

cat >> ~/.bashrc
export WINEARCH=win32
export WINEPREFIX=~/.wine32

Press [CTRL+D] after pasting these 3 lines into terminal, to end adding lines to .bashrc .

After doing this i can no longer access winetricks with the ./winetricks and sh winetricks command , this error comes up :

cannot access '/home/alan/.wine32/drive_c': No such file or directory
grep: /home/alan/.wine32/*.reg: No such file or directory
------------------------------------------------------
WINEPREFIX INFO:
Drive C:

Registry info:
/home/alan/.wine32/*.reg:
/usr/bin/wine cmd.exe /c echo '%ProgramFiles%' returned empty string, error messexport', it must be either win32 or win64." n32

i just installed linux so i'm in the dark with pretty much everything, is there a way to fix the access to winetricks? , it worked fine until i put that first command
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Winetricks not working

Post by Flemur »

Hypnotizing wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 10:52 am Hi everyone
I've been trying to get Hearthstone to work, so after installing wine and tinkering for a while i end up using wine tricks, following a tutorial i came around this part:

Now, you will be using 32bit WINE libraries and software versions, so you should prepare all your future runs from terminal for it:
cat >> ~/.bashrc
export WINEARCH=win32
export WINEPREFIX=~/.wine32
Press [CTRL+D] after pasting these 3 lines into terminal, to end adding lines to .bashrc .
That sounds like some bad advice - it added those two lines to the end of the .bashrc file, and normally the wine "prefix" is just ~/.wine not ~/.wine32

Why did you do that stuff? It's definitely not necessary in order to run winetricks, or anything else.
i just installed linux so i'm in the dark with pretty much everything, is there a way to fix the access to winetricks? , it worked fine until i put that first command
Edit your .bashrc file and remove those two lines. Logout/in or reboot, and try again.
Edit: also do this:

Code: Select all

rm -r ~/.wine32
Edit

$ which winetricks
/usr/bin/winetricks
Running ./winetricks shouldn't work unless you're in /usr/bin directory.

See here for info about Hearthstone:
https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... &iId=30038
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Hypnotizing

Post by Hypnotizing »

Thank you, there were about 6 or 7 lines at the end of the .bashrc file, all loking like this:
WINEARCH=win32
WINEPREFIX=~/.wine32

After deleting those, sh winetricks works again!, i have one more doubt tough.

I want to install internet explorer 8, but the following error pops up:

This package (ie8) does not work on a 64-bit installation. You must use a prefix made with WINEARCH=win32

How do i fix that?
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Hypnotizing wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 12:53 pm This package (ie8) does not work on a 64-bit installation. You must use a prefix made with WINEARCH=win32
How do i fix that?
You need to delete your current ~/.wine directory and make a new one.

See here
https://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#How_do_I_cr ... _system.3F

rm -r ~/.wine
WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine winecfg 
https://askubuntu.com/questions/177192/ ... ine-prefix
with

WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine wine wineboot
I've used 'winecfg' but not wineboot...
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

Return to “Beginner Questions”