Is iPhone connectivity--via USB cable--gonna be a forever problem with Linux? (Any cabled solutions?)

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
FamCompKid
Level 1
Level 1

Is iPhone connectivity--via USB cable--gonna be a forever problem with Linux? (Any cabled solutions?)

Post by FamCompKid » Mon May 27, 2019 1:10 am

I'm on Mint Cinnamon 19.1 and I have an iPhone SE.

I also have another PC that runs Windows, which I really want to get rid of soon.

Wireless solutions are impossible for me: I don't have the best internet and I transfer audio files in the gigabytes (although not very frequently).

I tested it last night. Linux detected the images at first, but after a while iPhone would stop responding, I had to "force exit" its window. I would disconnect and re-connect the USB cable, but the cycle would start over. Audio files were not detected.

Should I just get an Android phone? I hear Android's great for this setup? While I'm at it, what's the best phone for Linux?

Does Apple really botch solutions that come out for this?

This is my only "problem" left with wiping Windows, as far as I can tell.

Thank you.
Two PC's on Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon. I don't like using the terminal and it doesn't even matter.

BenTrabetere
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Is iPhone connectivity--via USB cable--gonna be a forever problem with Linux? (Any cabled solutions?)

Post by BenTrabetere » Mon May 27, 2019 3:00 am

You might consider the memory sticks for iPhone like these from SanDisk. I have no idea how well they work or how long it will take Apple to break them, but it might be a solution for you.
FamCompKid wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 1:10 am
Does Apple really botch solutions that come out for this?
In my experience and opinion ... yes. Apple is antagonistic towards Linux and anything or anyone who tries to evade the wall it has built around its garden. When I had iThings I found every iOS update forced me to scramble to find a new way to connect the devices to Linux.

Ultimately I gave up, set up Win7 virtual machine and ran iTunes from there. That was about the only reason I started this VM, and I used it so infrequently that the updates piled up.

At the first of last year I got fed up with it all and switched to Android. If you switch to Android I recommend getting a phone that supports external memory cards.

Pierre
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Is iPhone connectivity--via USB cable--gonna be a forever problem with Linux? (Any cabled solutions?)

Post by Pierre » Mon May 27, 2019 3:04 am

the Apple Preferred ( and PAID ) solution is to use iCloud / similar techniques.
:twisted:
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

lsemmens
Level 8
Level 8

Post by lsemmens » Mon May 27, 2019 4:03 am

Apple is a closed system and anytime you manage to connect using anything other than their proprietary software, you will not achieve the same functionality as the Apple product. Until Apple start developing for Linux - then you will be hit and miss with all of their products.
Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 bits
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop HP-ProBook-470-G2 8Gb RAM SSD
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

900i
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 900i » Mon May 27, 2019 7:14 am

The way I do it on my SE running latest IOS Update is as follows:

1. Get File Explorer Pro from App Store.

2. Plug in phone and trust computer connection when prompted.

3. Get errors about Could not display "afc:// blah blah"

4. Go to Mint File Manager, should see under Devices a Document Icon,

5. Click on Document Icon, will show a few Apps on your SE.

6. Click on File Explorer Pro Icon, will open and display folders in Explorer Pro.

7. Drag and drop folders and files to Explorer Pro, Music,Photos - whatever.

Works for me, also starts camera import tool to import your SE photos.

P.S. I don't use iTunes Boll??ks.
Screenshot at 2019-05-27 11-51-55.jpg
Acer C720 Linux Mint 19.2, Core i7 Linux Mint 19.2/Windows 10

coffee412
Level 5
Level 5

Post by coffee412 » Mon May 27, 2019 9:21 am

Im using a Galaxy S6 phone and would answer yes to dumping crapple. I just connect the cable and I get a prompt to allow access from the computer and Iam all done. A directory pops up for my phone and I can whatever.
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
IceWarp 12.0.3 * Mint 18.3 * RAID 1/5 * OpenVPN * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
************* Get Your Linux on! ***************

Return to “Newbie Questions”