Mint 19.1 Cinnamon updates [SOLVED]

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
fred19
Level 4
Level 4

Mint 19.1 Cinnamon updates [SOLVED]

Post by fred19 »

Just installed 19.1 on a new harddrive and get the following error message for Updates.
W:GPG error: https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu bionic InRelease: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 76F1A20FF987672F, E:The repository 'https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu bionic InRelease' is not signed.

Tried Maintence/Fix merge list.
Last edited by fred19 on Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Ciinnamon 19.1 updates

Post by gm10 »

You added the WineHQ repo but not the repository signing key as explained in the WineHQ download instructions... https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu

I really do not understand why we're getting at least one thread of this type per day - if you're already making changes to your system configuration don't you think you should at least follow the instructions to the letter if you don't know what you're doing? And people are wondering why Microsoft is taking the user's choices away - it's very clearly for their own good... /rant
Tune up your LM 19+: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr »

Besides the above, do you realize that installing Wine has considerable negative security implications? Explanation:
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/p/wine.html
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Hoser Rob »

And to top it off, wine is very unreliable. It fails on the majority of programs and they worrk poorly with many others. I really wish Linux newbies wouldn't get this idea that they can run all their WIndows software in Linux. They can't.

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

Wine isn't that bad. I'm still running some Windows apps that do not have good Linux equivalents. Since I have Steam installed I do not need a separate Wine installation though.

fred19
Level 4
Level 4

Post by fred19 »

Whoa fellas I wasn't expecting this blasting.

Firstly after 191 post I am hardly a newbie.

Secondly I will freely admit I haven't a clue what I am doing so I rely on this "friendly " forum.

Thirdly if Mint KDE hadn't been discontinued I would have been quite happy to keep updating that.

The only Windows program I want to use is Picasa. If anyone can point me to a linux picture organiser that will open and display all the picture folders simultaneously please tell me.

On KDE I could install a 32bit .deb of Picasa but I have spent hours trying to do this on 64 bit Cinammon with no success. I have lost track of the number of posts I have read on installing 32bit programs.

So if some kind person can help with this I won't need wine. Although if you read my previous posts you will see I have been here before.

Good job I am not a Newbie otherwise I would be quite put off.

karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Mint 19.1 Cinnamon updates

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Fred19.

Reported Issue:
In the initial post you reported the problem which you encountered and the error message, which you read:

Code: Select all

W:GPG error: https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu bionic InRelease: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 76F1A20FF987672F, E:The repository 'https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu bionic InRelease' is not signed.
Suggested solution:
In his post right below yours, gm10, had already posted how to solve the problem:
You added the WineHQ repo but not the repository signing key as explained in the WineHQ download instructions... https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu
You may safely ignore the next 4 posts completely. Nothing in them which will bring you closer to the solution than gm10's advice to follow the WineHQ instructions and add the missing WineHQ signing key.

Code: Select all

wget -nc https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/winehq.key
sudo apt-key add winehq.key
Have you tried doing so? If not, please, try and report back.

Regards,
Karl
Linux Mint 19.2 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.22a 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)

fred19
Level 4
Level 4

Post by fred19 »

Thank you for your helpful reply. Yes I had used that link when I installed Wine but I had as usual messed up and you solution cured the problem.

It is the first time I have had to use WineHQ before I have used basic Wine.stable.

I would still love to install the 32bit .deb program and ditch Wine. Any heads up how do to do this. I did do it in Mint KDE but can't remember how.

Thanks again.

Sugarcrisp
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Sugarcrisp »

Hey Fred19

I don't have an answer to your Picasa question, but I would recommend starting a new question so you can get the proper help from a larger selection of people. If this subject is fixed, remember to mark it solved. :D

Brett
Last edited by Sugarcrisp on Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GELvdH
Level 3
Level 3

Post by GELvdH »

Picasa is a web picture organizing program directly linked to Google pictures, check out Google picture organizing and see if that will do your job.

Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett »

fred19 wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 9:05 am
Whoa fellas I wasn't expecting this blasting.

Firstly after 191 post I am hardly a newbie.

Secondly I will freely admit I haven't a clue what I am doing so I rely on this "friendly " forum.

Thirdly if Mint KDE hadn't been discontinued I would have been quite happy to keep updating that.

The only Windows program I want to use is Picasa. If anyone can point me to a linux picture organiser that will open and display all the picture folders simultaneously please tell me.

On KDE I could install a 32bit .deb of Picasa but I have spent hours trying to do this on 64 bit Cinammon with no success. I have lost track of the number of posts I have read on installing 32bit programs.

So if some kind person can help with this I won't need wine. Although if you read my previous posts you will see I have been here before.

Good job I am not a Newbie otherwise I would be quite put off.

Picassa is not a Windows based program, it is a Google based program. It has been discontinued but until it was discontinued it worked fine on all Linux platforms because it was a cloud based program. Google has a nice replacement that is also cloud based.

Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett »

^^^^ Did you understand my last post? Picasa was never a Windows based program, Picasa was always a cloud based program that could be run on any Linux machine that you could install Google Chrome on, including Linux Mint. This is all a moot point now since Google has quit supporting Picasa, but you can still access Picasa on any Linux machine that supports Google Chrome.

https://picasa.google.com/

karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by karlchen »

<moderator on> Removed some unasked for backseat moderatoring post. Removed replies to unasked for post as well. </moderator off>
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)

karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by karlchen »

Hi, fred19.
fred19 wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 9:05 am
As has been explained above, Picasa has been discontinued by Google.
Hence, whichever 32-bit installation package on an old Mint 18.x KDE could be installed, it must have been invalidated by the fact that Google stopped Picasa.
Moreover, installation packages from previous Mint releases may be installable on Mint 19.1; yet, chances are that they cannot be installed, because they depend on shared libraries, which either are not available on Mint 19.1 or which are much newer on Mint 19.1.

Could you be bothered to let us know the precise name of the old 32-bit Picasa installation .deb file, which you had used on Mint 18.x KDE? This would give the chance of finding out why it cannot be installed on Mint 19.1.

Or should we rather assume the 32-bit Picasa .deb package has never existed, because a slightly older post, submitted by you in Nov. 2018, suggests you have always used the Windows picasa.exe under Wine?
fred19 wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:08 pm
I decided to give up on the .deb file and try the .exe.
Did a new install of Cinnamon them ran,
sudo apt-get install wine-stable
then,
sudo apt-get install wine32
then right clicked on the Downloads folder, where the .exe folder was located, and run in Terminal
then
wine picasa.exe

And it installed and worked. In the end very simple and I am a happy bunny. Even managed to get my standalone .exe file to run with "wine file name.exe
Regards,
Karl

fred19
Level 4
Level 4

Post by fred19 »

"Could you be bothered to let us know the precise name of the old 32-bit Picasa installation .deb file, which you had used on Mint 18.x KDE? This would give the chance of finding out why it cannot be installed on Mint 19.1."

Ask and you will receive. Picasa Version 3.0.0 (Build 57.4402.0) for Linux.

I have a large number of folders holding unnamed images and only only use Picasa so I can see the the opened images simultaneously. If there was a Linux app that would do that I would use it.
Attachments
picasa small.jpg

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

fred19 wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:16 pm
I have a large number of folders holding unnamed images and only only use Picasa so I can see the the opened images simultaneously. If there was a Linux app that would do that I would use it.
I don't really understand what you are asking for but going by your screenshot, if you're just wanting a software that shows you thumbnails of images in a folder, then what's wrong with the preinstalled pix or even just your file browser?

karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by karlchen »

Hi, fred19.

About Picasa Version 3.0.0 (Build 57.4402.0) for Linux:
Found the same 32-bit .deb file from 2008 in 2 places:
+ Picasa for Ubuntu 3.0.0 Build 57.4402
+ Picasa for Ubuntu 3.0.0 Build 57.4402

At least a malware scan on Jotti did not return any positive hits, so the .deb file might be clean in this respect: install-picasa-3.0.0-build-57.4402.deb

Inspected the content of this 32-bit "Linux" installation package. To me it looks as if what you get is an ancient Wine environment with the Windows software Picasa3.

Conclusion:
I am not sure that this install-picasa-3.0.0-build-57.4402.deb can be installed successfully on any recent Ubuntu or Mint installation.
I am not sure that even if it can be installed, it will work as designed 11 years ago.
I am not sure that it is worth the time and effort.
Plus, last but not least, I cannot really judge how trustworthy the download pages are, where I found install-picasa-3.0.0-build-57.4402.deb.

Maybe it makes more sense to go through this thread here: [Solved] Picasa substitute. Perhaps it will help let the dead horse finally r.i.p.

Regards,
Karl

fred19
Level 4
Level 4

Post by fred19 »

Thanks for the replies.

As I have tried to explain Picasa opens every folder, even folders within folders, so every single photo is displayed on the right hand panel. To find a single photo you are looking for you just have to scroll down the thumbnails, right click on it on "locate on Disc" and you get the location. That all I use it for but it is invaluable.

You can also move photos easily from one folder to another.

How else can you easily find a photo you are looking for when you don't know which folder it is in?

PS the old post referred to by karlchen was concerning Cinammon not KDE.

karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by karlchen »

Hi, fred19.
fred19 wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:03 pm
PS the old post referred to by karlchen was concerning Cinammon not KDE.
  1. Picasa3 runs under Wine anyway; and it does not care whether the Linux Mint desktop is KDE or Cinnamon.
  2. You currently use Cinnamon, no longer KDE.
  3. The referenced thread is about finding an alternative to Picasa3, not about Cinnamon or KDE.
So what is the issue now?
  1. Your problem, caused by the missing WineHQ signing key, has been resolved. Cf. your own post above.
  2. You could use the old Windows Picasa3 installer and install the 11-year-old Picasa3 under your Wine now. - The Windows installer is available e.g. here still: Picasa Version 3.9 Build 141.259. Check the installer on Virustotal before actually using it to install Picasa under Wine.
  3. Or you could download and try to install the 32-bit .deb file Picasa for Ubuntu 3.0.0 Build 57.4402.
    Provided the installation process works, then the result should be the same: Picasa3 will be run under Wine.
As you are clearly unwilling to consider migrating to any other application, although we have made clear enough that Picasa3 is a deadend, it is now up to you to decide in which way you try to setup the 11-year-old Picasa3 on your system, Mint 19.1 Cinnamon.

Regards,
Karl

fred19
Level 4
Level 4

Post by fred19 »

karlchen wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:11 pm

As you are clearly unwilling to consider migrating to any other application,
Regards,
Karl
That is the problem, there isn't another application that works as well as Picasa.

As you say I have it set up on Wine but on advice at the start of this thread I was thinking it might be safer to delete Wine and install the .deb file as on my KDE setup.

So I will just chance it and stay as I am.

Return to “Newbie Questions”