broken package manager

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
peterkin
Level 1
Level 1

broken package manager

Post by peterkin »

I got Mint 7 installed and even got my network printer working , so I'm inclined to keep it. However, after running the updates my package manager doesn't want to work anymore, I get an error message to the effect " Could not grab your mouse" "a malicious client may be evesdropping on your session or....try again" apt works fine from the command line, and mint update works too. I presume I need to reinstall the package manager, but what is the name of the packages I need to get? Or is it another problem?

richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Re: broken package manager

Post by richyrich »

peterkin,
When you click on the Menu, there is a side bar on the left side. This hides Item Headers that have been double-clicked. (Places, System, etc.)
If you see a small icon in the upper left, click it to restore the hidden menu, and you won't get the error! And the Menu will auto-close like it was intended.

peterkin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by peterkin »

That worked, thanks!

truckerjay
Level 1
Level 1

Post by truckerjay »

Worked for me also thanks.

Lazy and Stupid
Level 2
Level 2

Re: broken package manager [SOLVED]

Post by Lazy and Stupid »

I had the same problem. And this fixed the problem. But I don't get it. I'd like to know why this little button would interfere with a program opening.

That little gray button at the top left does not appear to do anything. It neither hides nor unhides anything. All it does is go from dull gray to bright gray and back when it is clicked on. If I double click on a heading like "system" the submenu disappears and an icon appears under the the little gray box. OK that part I get, although its usefulness is questionable. But even with all the submenuys as icons, clicking on the little gray box still appears to do nothing at all except make it get brighter or duller. I tried every conceivable variation of minimizing submenus and clicking on the box and nothing happens. But it certainly interferes with opening package manager when it is dull gray. Other programs appear to be unaffected.

Can somebody explain the logic and purpose of that little gray box because I don't see it doing anything useful but causing a great deal of annoyance! :D If it is supposed to auto-hide, it doesn't.
Last edited by Lazy and Stupid on Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nandemonai
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nandemonai »

It's a bug in mintMenu. I'm sure they'll iron it out soon as I've seen quite a few people come across this issue on IRC and this forum.
Linux Mint 7 64 Bit | Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E8500 @ 3.80GHz (OC) | 4GB Kingston RAM | Asus P5Q Delux Motherboard | Asus EN9800GT (NVIDIA) | WD 120GB / WD 720GB SATA2 HDDs

Return to “Newbie Questions”