[SOLVED] Broke my display settings

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
KneadToKnow
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Broke my display settings

Post by KneadToKnow » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:02 pm

I'm using Linux Mint 18.2 Xfce 64-bit, and my display settings got weird. In the process of selecting a different resolution, I appear to have selected one my monitor can't display, because the screen is now simply black. Booting to recovery mode or to another OS on the hard drive, the display works fine (although the resolution is unusably low in recovery mode).

How can I fix this? It seems that all I need to do is change what resolution the shell is using without actually going into the shell first.
Last edited by Moem on Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked this as [SOLVED] for you; please note that you can and should do this for your own topics. Thanks!
Linux Mint 18.2 Xfce 64-bit

WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Broke my display settings

Post by WharfRat » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:53 pm

Hello KneadToKnow Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)

If you used the Displays application from the menu it creates a ~/.config/monitors.xml file.

So in recovery mode navigate to that folder and delete the file or rm -v ~/.config/monitors.xml

Good luck :wink:
ImageImage

KneadToKnow
Level 1
Level 1

Post by KneadToKnow » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:16 am

There is no monitors.xml file, but I do see several .xml files that look like candidates in the ~/.config/Xfce4 folder.

KneadToKnow
Level 1
Level 1

Post by KneadToKnow » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:50 am

Aha! You did put me on the right path, however, so thank you!

I had not been searching for XML files previously, so with your information, I searched online for "Xcfe display settings XML" and found that the file I wanted was ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/displays.xml.

Thanks so much for the pointer in the right direction.

WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:31 am

KneadToKnow wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:50 am
Aha! You did put me on the right path, however, so thank you!

I had not been searching for XML files previously, so with your information, I searched online for "Xcfe display settings XML" and found that the file I wanted was ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/displays.xml.

Thanks so much for the pointer in the right direction.
I just assumed that the Displays app would create the same configuration file regardless of desktops, but I see I was wrong :?

I'm running the Mate desktop and ~/.config/monitors.xml was created when I opened that app and set the resolution.

I found it with find ~ -cmin -1

In any event I'm glad to see you got things straightened out :wink:
ImageImage

Return to “Newbie Questions”