Windows VPN client via WINE?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
monkeylizard
Level 1
Level 1

Windows VPN client via WINE?

Post by monkeylizard » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:28 pm

Hi All

First post, so please be gentle with the replies. I've searched the forum before posting, so apologies if this has been asked before.

I'm considering making the permanent switch from Windows, but the one thing stopping me is my VPN. I use IPVanish which has a GUI client for Windows that automatically selects the best server. They provide instructions for Linux setup but it's a case of manually selecting a server via command line.

Is it possible to run the Windows client in Linux using WINE (or similar)?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Windows VPN client via WINE?

Post by phd21 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:48 pm

Hi monkeylizard,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum!

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" and "lsusb" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

There is no need to use Linux Wine for VPN connections.

Run this command to install these packages and then restart your computer.

Code: Select all

sudo apt install openresolv easy-rsa network-manager-openvpn bind9 unbound 
If you have the IPVanish openVPN server configuration files (.ovpn), you can easily import them (import vpn) through your network manager (NM) in your system tray, select connections, + new connection, scroll down to import vpn, browse to an OpenVPN server configuration file (somewhere.ovpn), follow prompts, click ok, then edit (douoble-click) that new connection to add your login information username and password, that's it, then when you click the NM icon again there will be a new VPN server to connect with. Repeat process for other server locations. If IPVanish has a Linux client, then you could use that too.

This previous post has good information.
[SOLVED]How to fix dns leaks? - Page 2 - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=157&t=270477&hilit=openresolv&start=20

Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Phd21: Mint KDE 18.3 & 19, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

dan_me
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dan_me » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:54 pm

If you are willing to change your VPN I would suggest ExpressVPN, it works well on linux. They have an app for linux so you don't have to use the command line.

900i
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 900i » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:15 pm

My vote, Private Internet Access.
Acer C720 Linux Mint 19.2, Core i7 Linux Mint 19.2/Windows 10

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:58 pm

Hi monkeylizard,

+1 for "dan_me" comment. I did not see a Linux VPN software Client for IPVanish, although you can add their openVPN servers through the Network Manager. So, If you do not have a long term situation with IPVanish or you can get out of it, you might consider another VPN provider that has a Linux VPN Client like "Private Internet Access" great pricing and software already in Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM), or "VPN.ac" (neutral country, great pricing and really nice Linux client), or ProtonVPN (Swiss neutrality, very good Linux console client), etc...

Hope this helps ...
vpn.ac-1.jpg
"VPN.ac" Linux Client
vpn.ac-advanced.jpg
"VPN.ac" Linux Client advanced options
Phd21: Mint KDE 18.3 & 19, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

monkeylizard
Level 1
Level 1

Post by monkeylizard » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:05 pm

Thanks all for the replies - very much appreciated.

phd21 - I'm stuck at work right now so I can't post the requested info on my setup, but I'm guessing from what you've said that I'd still need to use the command line and I'd still be selecting a server manually...? I would certainly do this rather than not use a VPN, but I was ideally looking for a lazy way of having the VPN provider select the best server for me :D

dan_me & 900i - Thanks for the suggestions of alternative VPNs. I have around 6 weeks left on my current IPVanish subscription so it might be worth investigating your suggestions.

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:20 pm

Hi monkeylizard,

You are welcome from all of us that replied...

No, you do not need to use the console terminal for adding new VPN server connections or for connecting to your VPN servers. It is all done by clicking the Network Manager icon on your system tray.

Importing VPN servers into your NM (Network Manager) only needs to be done once for the servers you want to use and are available by clicking the NM icon in your system tray. You can even have your system automatically connect to any existing VPN server in your NM, click your NM icon and edit your ISP connection (wired or wireless), select General Tab, select VPN server, apply/ok.

Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crippled

Post by Crippled » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:30 pm

First off, welcome to the Linux mint community. Sorry I can't be any assistance on IPVanish. If you are looking for a good fast reliable VPN I would suggest Astrill VPN which is G.U.I. that I have been using for the past 3 years on 2 different Linux distro running it in Stealth mode and it's easy to use as well as easy to install along with being outside the 14 eyes, actually all eyes. https://www.astrill.com/ Good luck on which ever one you chose and be careful.

Return to “Newbie Questions”