[Solved] How do I give myself permission to do changes in the /etc/systemd/system.conf file?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Aily
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved] How do I give myself permission to do changes in the /etc/systemd/system.conf file?

Post by Aily »

Hello,

I'm about to do changes in /etc/systemd/system.conf but when I try and save the changes I don't have permission to do so. And when I want to change the permissions is says I'm not the owner and therefore can't change to get permission... Feels a bit like catch-22 here and I have no idea where to start.

How do I give myself permission to do changes in the /etc/systemd/system.conf file?

Thank you for your time <3
Last edited by Aily on Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I know how to start my computer. (IEC 60417-5009)
karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Re: How do I give myself permission to do changes in the /etc/systemd/system.conf file?

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Aily.

You do not want to fiddle around with the ownership or with the system assigned access permissions assigned to the file /etc/systemd/system.conf.
There is no need to do so. Instead you make use of your ability to run commands with root privileges.
Edit the file /etc/systemd/system.conf by executing the terminal command
sudoedit /etc/systemd/system.conf or xed admin:///etc/systemd/system.conf
In both cases, you will have to enter your user password in order to prove that you are permitted to elevate your privileges.

HTH,
Karl
Linux Mint 19.3 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.51 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)
Aily
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [Solved] How do I give myself permission to do changes in the /etc/systemd/system.conf file?

Post by Aily »

Cheers!

It worked like a charm, of course :)

I did find something similar elsewhere, but I still have a hard time to translate instructions that is only "almost-the-same" to what I need.

Thank you
I know how to start my computer. (IEC 60417-5009)
karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Re: [Solved] How do I give myself permission to do changes in the /etc/systemd/system.conf file?

Post by karlchen »

You're welcome. :)
Linux Mint 19.3 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.51 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)

Return to “Newbie Questions”