SOLVED Windows open partly or mostly off screen to the right: depending on icons location on desktop

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jamesd1

SOLVED Windows open partly or mostly off screen to the right: depending on icons location on desktop

Post by jamesd1 »

Many of my windows open with 2/3 of them off screen to the right and I have to drag them back to the center.

What causes this and how to fix?

UPDATE: OK, further investigation turned up something weird. If I move the launch icons of some programs, not all, to the far right of the desktop and then click on it, it causes the window of that file to open most of the way off the screen to the right. Timeshift, for instance, does this. If I drag the Timeshift icon to the center of the screen then it opens normally.

What's up with this and how to fix.

========UPDATE:

The problem was caused by having both a regular VGA cable and an HDMI cable plugged into my monitor. Removing one fixed it.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Windows open with 2/3 of them off screen to the right

Post by gittiest personITW »

Could you try
click menu button
type system settings

Look at the 3 programs
windows
window tiling
workspaces

see if there is anything in there that might help.
jamesd1

Re: Windows open with 2/3 of them off screen to the right

Post by jamesd1 »

Nothing there helped.
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Windows open partly or mostly off screen to the right: depending on icons location on desktop

Are you using the correct resolution in your graphics card settings for your monitor? It might look ok, but sometimes there is another option there that is optimal.
jamesd1

Re: Windows open partly or mostly off screen to the right: depending on icons location on desktop

Post by jamesd1 »

Maybe not; not sure and it may be related to another issue I just asked about which is:

======
On Linux Mint 19.1 MATE, Tessa, when I changed the driver from the default installed one to the recommenced Nvidia display driver it caused the main menu/ panel at bottom of the screen to disappear and only the desktop icons remained. I tried a few of higher resolutions and they all showed no Panel after reboot. 1600 X 1900 was the only one of 3 or 4 I tried that included the panel display. How to resolve. The same thing was not true of other versions of Mint 19.1 that I tried where virtually all resolutions showed the panel.
======
So how do I know if the "correct" resolution is/is not set. Screen looks fine but I have the above issue. The default driver installed showed limited choices. Should I perhaps try the older Nvidia driver or is there some other fix?
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

I would look up your monitor model on a search engine and see what the native resolution for your monitor is, then go from there.

Do you remember in the old old days when you booted into Safe mode in the old operating system how it looked? Windows / icons were all over the place
scdroid13

Post by scdroid13 »

I guess, Settings and Graphics options should you point to that.
does your monitor have its own preferences or graphics properties?
jamesd1

Post by jamesd1 »

This is my monitor: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BH ... UTF8&psc=1

This is my driver specs for my monitor
https://www.geforce.com/hardware/deskto ... ifications

The main description says "Display Resolution Maximum 1920 x 1080

I'm currently set at 1600 X 900.

I don't know what this means.

I tried setting to 1920 x 1080 and it works but does not fix the off-the screen to the right issue.
Also my old eyes do not like the look as it makes Chrome browser harder to see.
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

Pretty much the same graphics card as me and similar monitor resolution.

Set the resolution to 1920 x 1080.
Move the windows to the centre of the screen.
Reboot.
Go into settings and change things like icons and fonts to larger.
Go into Chrome and change the size of fonts/icons /screen (>100%)
Post back the results.
Which driver are you actually using though? I had problems with the a couple of the drivers and ended up using Nvidia driver 390 which is fine for my GT730.
jamesd1

Post by jamesd1 »

I'm using the newer of the two Nvidia drivers.

When you say "move the windows to the centre of the screen." What do you mean? You mean open each Win that is normally partly off screen, then close it and reboot?

Also, I think Chrome sizing doesn't change the bookmarks bar icons which remain very tiny at high resolution?
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

Hi,
Just drag them to the centre of the screen - just to see if they snap in there somewhere.
Do this after changing the resolution though.
jamesd1

Post by jamesd1 »

At high resolution, after reboot, the behavior is the same. If you drag a windows to the center of the screen then close it. When you open it again it opens partly off screen to the right.
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

In Menu
type system settings
look for window tiling

Just to check that option is greyed out.

And also to check in the system settings...
Windows / Behaviour
That the bottom option is ticked (about monitor boundaries)

Return to “Beginner Questions”