blueman not working

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BobMacall
Level 2
Level 2

blueman not working

Post by BobMacall »

I installed blueman but when I try to start it, nothing happens. Bluez and bluez-tools are installed. If I use blueman-applet, the applet is displayed
but can't find adapter or other devices. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Bob

lsusb | grep Bluetooth
Bus 003 Device 005: ID 0a12:0001 Cambridge Silicon Radio, Ltd Bluetooth Dongle (HCI mode)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
oldgranola
Level 5
Level 5

Re: blueman not working

Post by oldgranola »

Which version of linux mint are you running? More specifically, which desktop? Cinnamon, Xfce, MATE? You sholudn't have to download anything. Now days bluetooth support comes with your particular LM desktop. Same for Ubuntu. In fact, if you try to use the wrong bluetooth support for your desktop (blueberry, bleuman, bluez etc), you'll have a headache. I've been down this road on Xfce, MATE, Cinnamon and other OS's. Manjaro works pretty much out of the box bluetooth wise. On LM Cin I just use the included raspberry for my BT headphones.

Edit. Oops, I should add that it also depends on your hardware. On this device I have cheap BT USB transmitters (one for keyboard/pad for on the couch use, one for headphones) which then conflags USB and BT issues. On one laptop running Manjaro dual with LM Xfce with integrated BT transmitter it was seamless just to use what came with the distro.
comadore, pcDOS, hpux, solaris, vms-vax ....blah blah blah..
Yet I'm still a fn nooob
BobMacall
Level 2
Level 2

Re: blueman not working

Post by BobMacall »

I'm using Mint 18.3 with cinnamon desktop. The blueman applet starts at boot but can't find adapters. Maybe that's why the GUI doesn't
open up. The adapter is recognized when I put it into a Win 10 laptop and I paired with my phone but couldn't download files from the phone to
the laptop which is why I got the adapter in the first place. What does it take to get the adapter to be recognized in Mint? Anything that I can do?
Thanks,
Bob

Return to “Beginner Questions”