Screen goes off (black) until I suspend and resume the system, how can I run a command to reboot screen without suspend?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
7-up

Screen goes off (black) until I suspend and resume the system, how can I run a command to reboot screen without suspend?

Post by 7-up »

I have Linux mint 18.3 Sylvia

My screen goes off (black) until I suspend and resume the system, While everything is working fine (keyboard mouse audio..etc) just the screen is black. I odnt know how to solve this issue!!

so I thought what if I use a command to reboot the screen without suspending the system and have a shortcut for it on the command, is it possible to do this? and how?

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Screen goes off (black) until I suspend and resume the system, how can I run a command to reboot screen without susp

Post by Larry78723 »

Go to Menu - Preferences - Screensaver and uncheck activate screensaver when computer is idle.
If you have found the solution to your initial post, please open your original post, click on the pencil, and add (Solved) to the Subject, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
7-up

Re: Screen goes off (black) until I suspend and resume the system, how can I run a command to reboot screen without susp

Post by 7-up »

Larry78723 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:17 pm Go to Menu - Preferences - Screensaver and uncheck activate screensaver when computer is idle.
I don't think this is the issue, I have a hunch that it is hardware related but not sure (i hope not).
However, I did this just now, I will test and reply back with results if the screen will go off again or not.
thank you so much.
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Larry78723 »

I hope that takes care of it.
If you have found the solution to your initial post, please open your original post, click on the pencil, and add (Solved) to the Subject, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 »

The Screen Saver is certainly one dimmer, on by default - there are also several Power Manager settings that might be set to turn off / lock the screen.

You don't mention the Desktop Environment: in Cinnamon there is a handy taskbar applet called "Inhibit" that can toggle power management off so nothing automatically shuts off (rt-click taskbar and add applets from the list). In Cinnamon and XFCE you can go through the Power Manager settings to look at the various settings and time outs to configure them. (Not familiar with Mate.)
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. Mint/Ubuntu user since 10.04 LTS. LM20 64 bit XFCE (Dell 1520). Dual boot LM20 XFCE / Win7 (Lenovo desktop and Acer netbook). Testing LM21.1 Cinnamon and XFCE Live for new Lenovo desktop.
7-up

Post by 7-up »

I2k4 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:31 pm The Screen Saver is certainly one dimmer, on by default - there are also several Power Manager settings that might be set to turn off / lock the screen.

You don't mention the Desktop Environment: in Cinnamon there is a handy taskbar applet called "Inhibit" that can toggle power management off so nothing automatically shuts off (rt-click taskbar and add applets from the list). In Cinnamon and XFCE you can go through the Power Manager settings to look at the various settings and time outs to configure them. (Not familiar with Mate.)
Thanks, I did add it and activate it.

unfortunately, the sccren went off I again today while inhibt was active too.
I think it is a hardware issue since I searched the issue and my laptop ( Asus n550jk) users have the same problem, so to fix it I have to close the lid off to suspend it then reopen it again to wake the screen up.
so, is it possible to have the command as a shortcut in the keyboard? I think this will temporary solve it.

thanks
I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 »

I use this on a bedroom laptop to toggle the screen without suspending, in order to play audio with the screen off:

Super-Z Toggle Screen Off
sh -c 'sleep 0.3 && xset dpms force off'

The same key (set whatever you like) combination both darkens and relights the screen, without suspending - just tested on Cinnamon and it works - Keyboard / Shortcuts tab / Custom Shortcuts

(Just to be clear about "active" Inhibit, the "Power Management" toggle should be OFF to keep the screen on, by disabling the timed dimmers. It works on my Cinnamon installs, but as you say it might be your PC - I'd wonder if there's a BIOS setting that might control it.) Hope it's helpful.
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. Mint/Ubuntu user since 10.04 LTS. LM20 64 bit XFCE (Dell 1520). Dual boot LM20 XFCE / Win7 (Lenovo desktop and Acer netbook). Testing LM21.1 Cinnamon and XFCE Live for new Lenovo desktop.
7-up

Post by 7-up »

I2k4 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:58 am I use this on a bedroom laptop to toggle the screen without suspending, in order to play audio with the screen off:

Super-Z Toggle Screen Off
sh -c 'sleep 0.3 && xset dpms force off'

The same key (set whatever you like) combination both darkens and relights the screen, without suspending - just tested on Cinnamon and it works - Keyboard / Shortcuts tab / Custom Shortcuts

(Just to be clear about "active" Inhibit, the "Power Management" toggle should be OFF to keep the screen on, by disabling the timed dimmers. It works on my Cinnamon installs, but as you say it might be your PC - I'd wonder if there's a BIOS setting that might control it.) Hope it's helpful.
Did this and just tested it now after my screen went off and it works!!
I know eventually, I have to fix it since it is not a big of an issue from what I have seen ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LBNKFeuJxc&t=6s)
But this will do for the time being!!
Thank you so much, sir :D
I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 »

Glad it works. From the video, it really looks like a design problem with the little cable, surprising any software fix works. Good luck.

Return to “Beginner Questions”